The W
Views: 100280963
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
31.10.14 1642
The W - Sports that aren't Baseball, Football, Basketball, or Hockey - Dan Wheldon (22 June 1978 - 16 October 2011) dies in Indy Car crash at Las Vegas
This thread has 19 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 5.39
Pages: 1
(94 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (13 total)
CRZ
Big Brother
Administrator








Since: 9.12.01
From: ミネアポリス

Since last post: 4 hours
Last activity: 2 hours
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#1 Posted on | Instant Rating: 9.39
There's so much to say and I can't say any of it. This really, really sucks.
    Originally posted by USA Today (usatoday.com)
    Dan Wheldon dies in huge crash at IndyCar finale

    LAS VEGAS (AP) – Indianapolis 500 winner Dan Wheldon died Sunday in a fiery 15-car wreck at Las Vegas Motor Speedway when his car flew over another on Lap 13 and smashed into the wall just outside turn 2.

    Wheldon was 33. Drivers were told of Wheldon's death in a meeting about two hours after the fiery, smoky crash that many drivers said was the worst they had ever seen.

    The British driver won the Indianapolis 500 twice, including this year.

    "IndyCar is very sad to announce that Dan Wheldon has passed away from unsurvivable injuries," IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family today. IndyCar, its drivers and owners, have decided to end the race. In honor of Dan Wheldon, the drivers have decided to do a five-lap salute to in his honor."

    [MORE]


We are spared the view from his onboard camera at the time of impact, but it's still a little uneasy to watch this video knowing what's to come....but here it is anyway:





Promote this thread!
Scooter Trash
Blutwurst








Since: 23.7.02
From: Indiana

Since last post: 205 days
Last activity: 9 hours
Y!:
#2 Posted on
A truly sad day for all sports. Thoughts and prayers to the Wheldon family and Indy Car friends and family.

Having followed Indycar and the Indianapolis 500 for years, Dan always seemed to be a true class act and good representative of the sport. He will truly be missed.

Rest in Peace.
CajunMan
Boudin blanc
No longer registered








Since: 2.1.02
From: Give me a Title shot!

Since last post: 1107 days
Last activity: 245 days
#3 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.30
A truly sad day,

http://www.nascar.com/news/111016/statement-dwheldon-death/index.html





How is "Hope" and "Change" for you?
BigDaddyLoco
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02

Since last post: 5 hours
Last activity: 1 hour
#4 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.52
    Originally posted by CRZ


    We are spared the view from his onboard camera at the time of impact, but it's still a little uneasy to watch this video knowing what's to come....




Pretty much the last thing he ever saw.





(edited by BigDaddyLoco on 16.10.11 2239)
supersalvadoran
Landjager








Since: 10.1.08
From: westbury, new york

Since last post: 16 days
Last activity: 15 hours
#5 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.99
I have never seen a crash scene like that. Even with the big ones you see in NASCAR, you don't see debree like that all over on the track. A terrible scene.

Wheldon to me wasn't just a great driver, he was a great representative of the sport. I really liked him because he seemed like the type of driver who always raced hard but clean. It surprised me that in winning the Indy 500 that I found out he didn't have a full time ride. I mean, who wouldn't want a multiple Indy winner and a championship driver in his early 30s' driving full time for his team? Not that it matters now; I just figured he was a driver whose accomplishments weren't as noticed as Danica, Helio, or Dario were. I just hope he does have his great career remembered for far more than the tragic way it ended. RIP













thecubsfan
Scrapple
Moderator








Since: 10.12.01
From: Aurora, IL

Since last post: 21 hours
Last activity: 3 hours
#6 Posted on | Instant Rating: 9.64

    . It surprised me that in winning the Indy 500 that I found out he didn't have a full time ride. I mean, who wouldn't want a multiple Indy winner and a championship driver in his early 30s' driving full time for his team?


He was just about to get that full time ride back; Dan was getting Danica's spot on the Andretti team. No one would've been in better position to compete next year, since Dan had spent the last half of the year testing the new car. It seemed like a great new start for him as the series itself got a hopeful new beginning.

and now? I don't know. I watched Robin Miller say that maybe the future of this series might be just street/road course and the 500 as the only oval. That seems crazy. That seems possible. I do know there was a lot of talk about how wild and crazy this race looked to be in the week ahead; all positive talk to get people to check out something that was silly enough to go against the NFL, but I don't think anyone was surprised at how fast and dangerous the race was at that point. There's going to be a lot of hard questions over a long winter.

That two hour period, from when the crash happened to the announcement (which took ABC three times to show without messing it up - they were good otherwise), it's impossible to describe how long and horrible that was. I think we all knew the outcome in advance, maybe when they put the yellow tarp over Wheldon's car - which I'd never seen before, but suddenly made it look like a death investigation - but it was impossible to turn away just on the hope that you were wrong and good news would finally be said. There was just nothing for a very long time, and stretches where it seemed like they just were mentioning how long the red flag had been out before throwing it to another break, like objectively the least interesting television possible, but you could not stay away.

The idea of a five lap tribute seemed ridiculous. And then they started playing bagpipes over the PA, and it felt poignant and gutwrenching.

One of the memories I have of Wheldon is from watching coverage of a bump day, or maybe a rain day, or maybe a bump day where it was raining. They were interviewing Wheldon in a garage, and showed one of his helmets - where there was a big mark on it from a crazy accident where the car had flipped or something and his helmet had scraped on the ground. Just something totally insane, with everyone passing it off as another day at the office. That's what racing is.

On days like this, I find myself looking thru article after article, looking for answers, I think. I never quite find them. I'll let you know if I do.



thecubsfan.com - luchablog
JayJayDean
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02
From: Seattle, WA

Since last post: 58 days
Last activity: 5 hours
AIM:  
Y!:
#7 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.83
    Originally posted by thecubsfan
    and now? I don't know. I watched Robin Miller say that maybe the future of this series might be just street/road course and the 500 as the only oval. That seems crazy. That seems possible.


They have been so, so lucky at these high-speed tracks these last few years. Pack racing is relatively safe in a stock car because of the car. The IndyCar races at Las Vegas and Texas and Kentucky have been spectacular and frightening and awesome and now overwhelmingly sad. And the series is incredibly lucky to be mourning only one driver, because Will Power left the ground and hit the wall while flying and walked away.

    Originally posted by thecubsfan
    I think we all knew the outcome in advance, maybe when they put the yellow tarp over Wheldon's car


That was the moment I knew and I think all the drivers did, too.

I'm glad they didn't try to restart the race. This was a little different scenario than a lot of fatal crashes because of the massive debris and clean-up and the drivers sitting around for an hour-plus just waiting on news.

And I really feel bad for Randy Bernard, who seems like a good guy trying to build interest in his series the right way and now he's dealing with this.



Holy fuck shit motherfucker shit. Read comics. Fuck shit shit fuck shit I sold out when I did my job. Fuck fuck fuck shit fuck. Sorry had to do it....

*snip*

Revenge of the Sith = one thumb up from me. Fuck shit. I want to tittie fuck your ass.
-- The Guinness. to Cerebus
CajunMan
Boudin blanc
No longer registered








Since: 2.1.02
From: Give me a Title shot!

Since last post: 1107 days
Last activity: 245 days
#8 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.30
Drivers had concerns about this race,

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/10/17/earlyshow/main20121253.shtml

http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2011/10/17/2495397/dan-wheldon-death-accident-las-vegas/in/2258326


The track is kind of small for the indy cars, 34 of them. IndyCar is going to take heat for this now.






How is "Hope" and "Change" for you?
JayJayDean
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02
From: Seattle, WA

Since last post: 58 days
Last activity: 5 hours
AIM:  
Y!:
#9 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.83


The number of cars in that race is a red herring. NASCAR puts 43 cars on that track twice a year. That same accident could've happened with 20 open-wheel cars. In June these same cars ran 228 laps at Texas (where the pole speed was 215 mph and where cars have flown into the catch-fence and caused serious injury in the past) and had one caution with 30 cars on the track. They ran a race with 26 IndyCars at Iowa, which is a 7/8-mile track. The number of cars was not a problem. And the speed was not the problem. The pole speed at Kentucky was 219 mph and Dario and Ed Carpenter ran side-by-side for 25 laps separated by very little.

The problem with the accident is one that is inherent in every form of open-wheel racing: when one cars wheel hits another front-to-back it will ride up and lift the trailing car, and then physics turns the car into a low-flying aircraft. F1 cars go airborn. World of Outlaws and Silver Crown midgets go airborn. There's really nothing that can be done about that, and when the catchfence gets involved the driver mortality rate goes way up.

You can't place blame on the track, the cars, the series, or the drivers (as a group). You know how I know that? Because eight years ago this week Tony Renna was killed. He wasn't killed at a high-banked oval...he was killed at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and he wasn't in a pack of cars...he was on the track, by himself, doing a tire test. Renna's car got sideways at the wrong angle, went airborne, overshot the wall and got into the catchfence, and Tony Renna was killed, just like Dan Wheldon.

Sometimes there's not anything you can do to 100% prevent a tragedy. That's why it is called an "accident".





Holy fuck shit motherfucker shit. Read comics. Fuck shit shit fuck shit I sold out when I did my job. Fuck fuck fuck shit fuck. Sorry had to do it....

*snip*

Revenge of the Sith = one thumb up from me. Fuck shit. I want to tittie fuck your ass.
-- The Guinness. to Cerebus
CajunMan
Boudin blanc
No longer registered








Since: 2.1.02
From: Give me a Title shot!

Since last post: 1107 days
Last activity: 245 days
#10 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.30
    Originally posted by JayJayDean


    The number of cars in that race is a red herring. NASCAR puts 43 cars on that track twice a year. That same accident could've happened with 20 open-wheel cars. In June these same cars ran 228 laps at Texas (where the pole speed was 215 mph and where cars have flown into the catch-fence and caused serious injury in the past) and had one caution with 30 cars on the track. They ran a race with 26 IndyCars at Iowa, which is a 7/8-mile track. The number of cars was not a problem. And the speed was not the problem. The pole speed at Kentucky was 219 mph and Dario and Ed Carpenter ran side-by-side for 25 laps separated by very little.

    The problem with the accident is one that is inherent in every form of open-wheel racing: when one cars wheel hits another front-to-back it will ride up and lift the trailing car, and then physics turns the car into a low-flying aircraft. F1 cars go airborn. World of Outlaws and Silver Crown midgets go airborn. There's really nothing that can be done about that, and when the catchfence gets involved the driver mortality rate goes way up.

    You can't place blame on the track, the cars, the series, or the drivers (as a group). You know how I know that? Because eight years ago this week Tony Renna was killed. He wasn't killed at a high-banked oval...he was killed at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and he wasn't in a pack of cars...he was on the track, by himself, doing a tire test. Renna's car got sideways at the wrong angle, went airborne, overshot the wall and got into the catchfence, and Tony Renna was killed, just like Dan Wheldon.

    Sometimes there's not anything you can do to 100% prevent a tragedy. That's why it is called an "accident".




Interesting,

Does IndyCar have restrictor plates on the cars? If not that maybe an issue that needs to be addressed. NASCAR addressed that issue on the superspeed tracks. NASCAR also has a HANS device that protects the head and neck in high impact crash as well as safe barrier walls. Not sure if INDYCAR has these devices but I know NASCAR is constantly making changes to these tracks and cars in attempt to make it safer. An example was Saturday at Charlotte Jimmie Johnson nailed the wall with really nothing left of the front of his car(after crash) but he was okay. You just don't hear how INDYCAR are trying to make the cars safer. Maybe I have not tuned in as much just my thought.


I found another example,




(edited by CajunMan on 17.10.11 1459)



http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story/_/id/7115707/in-wake-dan-wheldon-death-jimmie-johnson-says-indycar-quit-racing-ovals

(edited by CajunMan on 18.10.11 0007)

How is "Hope" and "Change" for you?
JayJayDean
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02
From: Seattle, WA

Since last post: 58 days
Last activity: 5 hours
AIM:  
Y!:
#11 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.83
    Originally posted by CajunMan
    Does IndyCar have restrictor plates on the cars?


IndyCars don't have a restrictor plate. They don't need one. The problem yesterday wasn't that they speed was too high, it was that the cars were too close together. Restrictor plates cause stock cars to stay in a big pack, so if you did that in an IndyCar that would be the opposite of the intended effect.

    Originally posted by CajunMan
    NASCAR also has a HANS device that protects the head and neck in high impact crash as well as safe barrier walls.


NASCAR uses the HANS because it proved effective in open wheel cars first. Also, the first SAFER barrier was installed at Indianapolis Motor Speedway after Scott Brayton backed into the concrete wall at 235 mph and died. NASCAR then mandated that the SAFER barrier be used at NASCAR tracks after Dale Earnhardt was killed at Daytona.

    Originally posted by CajunMan
    Not sure if INDYCAR has these devices but I know NASCAR is constantly making changes to these tracks and cars in attempt to make it safer.


The ridiculous irony of this situation is that there is a whole new (supposedly) safer IndyCar coming in 2012 - sort of IndyCar's "Car of Tomorrow" - and Dan Wheldon was the guy testing and doing the R&D on it. And the fact that this was the last race with the current car is directly related to the reason why this was a bigger than usual field, i.e. "we have these cars we might as well use them."

(edited by JayJayDean on 17.10.11 1319)


Holy fuck shit motherfucker shit. Read comics. Fuck shit shit fuck shit I sold out when I did my job. Fuck fuck fuck shit fuck. Sorry had to do it....

*snip*

Revenge of the Sith = one thumb up from me. Fuck shit. I want to tittie fuck your ass.
-- The Guinness. to Cerebus
BigDaddyLoco
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02

Since last post: 5 hours
Last activity: 1 hour
#12 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.52
    Originally posted by JayJayDean


    The ridiculous irony of this situation is that there is a whole new (supposedly) safer IndyCar coming in 2012 - sort of IndyCar's "Car of Tomorrow" - and Dan Wheldon was the guy testing and doing the R&D on it. And the fact that this was the last race with the current car is directly related to the reason why this was a bigger than usual field, i.e. "we have these cars we might as well use them."




I'm not sure if this is one of things that really mean anything or not, but I am blown away by this fact.

CajunMan
Boudin blanc
No longer registered








Since: 2.1.02
From: Give me a Title shot!

Since last post: 1107 days
Last activity: 245 days
#13 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.30
(deleted by CRZ on 17.10.11 2324)
Thread rated: 5.39
Pages: 1
Thread ahead: RIP Smokin' Joe Frazier (January 12, 1944 - November 7, 2011)
Next thread: Jeremy Mayfield arrested for meth possession
Previous thread: The 2011 Chase is set
(94 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Good response, I'm getting one for my girl. http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=5189772&showprevnext=1#
The W - Sports that aren't Baseball, Football, Basketball, or Hockey - Dan Wheldon (22 June 1978 - 16 October 2011) dies in Indy Car crash at Las VegasRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.079 seconds.