Ok, so week 1 isn't completely over yet but I couldn't wait to comment.
- Notre Dame, ok so the defense, supposedly their weak spot, held Georgia Tech to 10 points, that's good. But a team that has the favorite to win the Heisman and, according to the announcers last night, the first and second best receivers in the nation should score more than 14 points. I chalk this one up to it being early in the season and GT just giving them a tough game, but they're going to have to do a lot more to impress me.
- Michigan did not look good at all. Ok Mike Hart looked good and the defense stopped Vandy's rushing. But the three fumbles Michigan got and the six sacks were mostly due to bad play by Vandy QB Chris Nixon. Vanderbilt also dropped close to 10 passes I bet and really Vandy lost this game more than Michigan won it. A experienced QB and some competent receivers and Michigan would've had themselves a tough game.
- I hate to say good things about USC because I'm sick of hearing about them. Personally I think the Pac 10 doesn't have a whole lot to offer, but USC at least showed they are for real by going into a hostile SEC school and dominating an Arkansas team that is probably as good as Alabama (who is ranked 25th and 26th in the two polls), unlike California.
- Speaking of the California game, Tennessee looks like they are back and I don't know if the pollsters will move them up more than 10 spots, but they really should be in the top 10 after that win. Florida, LSU, and Auburn all cruised too so barring an upset next week we could see four top 10 SEC teams battling in two weeks when Florida plays Tennessee and LSU plays Auburn. I know everyone is talking about Michigan/Notre Dame that week but I don't know, Michigan just doesn't impress me that much. Also Nebraksa and Oklahoma didn't look that good this week either so I'm a lot less interested in Oregon/Oklahoma and USC/Nebraksa that week too.
- Can't wait for the OSU/Texas game next week just so everyone will stop talking about it. People were talking more about that game this week than any of this week's actual games.
Poor clock management by the UAB coach in the 4th quarter, punting to Oklahoma down 7 when they didn't even need a first down to kill the clock. Almost made it seem like he wanted the moral victory of only losing by 7 in Norman. Thompson isn't a good QB. Someone get Paul Maguire away from Griese and Nessler. There was absolutely no reason to add a 3rd person to that booth. Also, the Saturday Night ABC Game would be better with just Kirk and Brent. Davie is just a waste. Notre Dame didn't look impressive. But, they did what Auburn and Miami couldn't do last season, and survived when they didn't look good against Georgia Tech. Weis needed to establish the run far earlier, and I have no earthly idea what happened to Georgia Tech's play calling after they went up 7-0 and had the ball inside the ND 15. From that point on, the play calling sucked. Also, does Reggie Ho have any eligibility left to kick for ND? Cal is deader than Lee Corso's car after it got hit by lightning a few years ago. What is worse: A 70-3 humiliation in the Big XII Title Game or losing at home to Montana State? Luckily for Colorado, they know both feelings. At 13-7 at the half, I was wondering if Lloyd Carr would get fired prior to the second half. Still FSU/Miami this weekend, plus Penn State/ND and Ohio State/Texas next weekend. Far cry from the way things used to be early in the season.
Notre Dame looked like I expected them to look. More a product of hype than substance. They don't have elite talent in enough positions yet, and even Georgia Tech was able to match up with them. They survived, and they will get better but they aren't top five material.
Hold off on declaring the Vols "back". They beat a Cal team we thought might be good. Turns out they weren't. Tennessee I don't think will move up that far in the polls until they win a couple more. They are not going to compete for the SEC title.
USC looked about what I expected as well. Arkansas was getting far too much credit going into this game and anyone that thought they had a chance was just being retarded. Having spent yesterday afternoon in northwest Arkansas at the lake I can tell you apparently the whole area is full of retards whom I laughed at repeatedly.
Now Texas, that's a team that I would be worried about if I had national title aspirations. They look likely to repeat in my view. Next week should be fun.
Ohio State *smoked* Northern Illinois. Scoring those two TD's in two minutes proved that to me. They could have run up the score, but Tressel is classy enough to pull the starters and get the backups some playing time.
Definitely looking forward to the OSU-Texas game, and I think it should be a dandy.
I don't remember who said it, but someone said "why do all the good ones have to be selfish assholes?" or something like that. TO is a disgrace. He's being paid millions of dollars to PLAY A GAME!!! Seriously, whats wrong with him?