The W
Views: 101389276
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
18.12.14 0729
The W - Pro Wrestling - Bill Behrens talks about Jeff Hardy (Page 2)
This thread has 14 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 4.95
Pages: Prev 1 2
(2075 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (26 total)
JustinShapiro
Scrapple
Moderator








Since: 12.12.01
From: Pittsburgh, PA

Since last post: 17 hours
Last activity: 7 hours
#21 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.81
    Originally posted by InVerse
    I made the comment that if strikes *were* erasable, that I sincerely hoped Jeff died in the ring so as to facilitate the creation of a legitimate wellness policy. I was informed by some idiots on this board that I should kill him myself. Maybe they were right.


Do it do it do it.


    Originally posted by Paul
    Owen died because of the result of an accident involving the harness; and lived the cleanest of lives (I believe he didn't even have the occasional drink). Plus: I get the imperssion that Owen was liked a whole lot more by pretty much everyone than Jeff Hardy ever was/is.

    That's a bit different than Jeff dying because his heart stops in the middle of a match or he botches a movie and breaks his neck because he's on something.


I'm not really sure what that has to do with whether the shows after Jeff's death would get a lot of publicity or whether or not people would be sad if Jeff died. But the difference between the Owen Hart and Eddie Guerrero tribute shows and someone dying now is that Benoit (and to a much lesser extent the Linda McMahon campaign) made it so that the deaths get a lot more scrutiny now.

Those tribute shows probably feel like the right/most cathartic thing to under the circumstances, and they also did really good ratings, which is a large reason why they willfully parodied their own format for Vince's fake death. Now, however, WWE runs away from the deaths as fast as they can now and wouldn't even give Umaga a graphic. If someone on the main roster died now, I'm really not sure what they'd do. I think a lot would depend on the nature of their death and whether or not it was one they wanted to advertise their grief for. I don't know what TNA would do but my guess would be that they would copy the format of a WWE tribute episode in the short-term (it's probably an aspiration of theirs) and largely be clueless and oblivious about the world around them long-term.

(edited by JustinShapiro on 16.12.10 1345)
PaulKTF
Summer sausage








Since: 26.5.06

Since last post: 1235 days
Last activity: 10 hours
#22 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.00
    Originally posted by JustinShapiro

    I'm not really sure what that has to do with whether the shows after Jeff's death would get a lot of publicity or whether or not people would be sad if Jeff died. But the difference between the Owen Hart and Eddie Guerrero tribute shows and someone dying now is that Benoit (and to a much lesser extent the Linda McMahon campaign) made it so that the deaths get a lot more scrutiny now.

    Those tribute shows probably feel like the right/most cathartic thing to under the circumstances, and they also did really good ratings, which is a large reason why they willfully parodied their own format for Vince's fake death. Now, however, WWE runs away from the deaths as fast as they can now and wouldn't even give Umaga a graphic. If someone on the main roster died now, I'm really not sure what they'd do. I think a lot would depend on the nature of their death and whether or not it was one they wanted to advertise their grief for. I don't know what TNA would do but my guess would be that they would copy the format of a WWE tribute episode in the short-term (it's probably an aspiration of theirs) and largely be clueless and oblivious about the world around them long-term.

    (edited by JustinShapiro on 16.12.10 1345)


My point is that not even TNA would be stupid enough to do a tribute show (or even a "10 bell salute" or quick graphic) to an obvious drug-addict who died in their ring.

At least I hope not...
Hogan's My Dad
Andouille








Since: 8.6.02
From: Canada

Since last post: 8 days
Last activity: 1 day
#23 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.30
    Originally posted by PaulKTF
    Owen died because of the result of an accident involving the harness; and lived the cleanest of lives (I believe he didn't even have the occasional drink). Plus: I get the imperssion that Owen was liked a whole lot more by pretty much everyone than Jeff Hardy ever was/is.

In Bret's book, he describes occasions where Owen was out for beers. I suppose he could be lying, but to what end? He also describes an occasion on which they smoked---are you sitting down?---marijuana. I'm sure Owen, by wrestling standards, was a very good man, but I'm not sure where you're going with this? Jeff Hardy is probably a bigger star now than Owen ever was, and his death would be a disaster for the entire business.




    Originally posted by ekedolphin
    What ratings do they have to get in the way of? If they're not careful, TNA's going to get the worst public relations disaster possible-- someone dying in the wrestling ring.

That might be a little dramatic, don't you think? Wasn't there some interview for the Hardy's internet show filmed over a year ago where Jeff appeared to be drunk, or at least seriously buzzed, and some of the less reputable websites ran with it like "OMG JEFF HARDY HAMMERZED RIGHT BEFORE GOING OUT TO DEFENDS TNA TITLE". Despite the time-line being totally discredited.

I wonder if all these "reports" of his "condition" are credible, or if people look at a weird guy and say he's definitely on drugs, the way they looked at Michael Jackson without listening to one piece of trial evidence and "knew" he was a child molester.

I would guess there's a question as to whether all drug use is abuse, and whether anyone ever using drugs means they are a drug addict, which is not necessarily the case. Our culture now flips out over anyone ever being drunk or high, and immediately demands that person go to rehab. I haven't seen any statistics showing this kind of paranoia actually saves lives.

That being said, since I killed Luna with my doubting, I assume Jeff Hardy is an addict and he should go to rehab. And one argument that he IS an addict, is he appears unwilling to cool it on the drugs despite having felony trafficking charges brought against him. But again, it's speculation.





Quiet, Or Papa Spank!
spf
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02
From: The Las Vegas of Canada

Since last post: 46 days
Last activity: 3 days
AIM:  
#24 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.16
    Originally posted by Hogan's My Dad
    Jeff Hardy is probably a bigger star now than Owen ever was, and his death would be a disaster for the entire business.

Jeff Hardy performs before crowds that barely crack four figures and is on a tv show that barely draws a 1.0 cable rating and performs on PPV shows that are lucky to crack 10,000 viewers.

The last appearance on Raw of a living Owen Hart was on a show that drew a 6.4 cable rating. The night Owen Hart died 16,000 people watched it happen live and somewhere around 500,000 were watching the PPV broadcast.

Jeff Hardy dying would be noted for about 12 seconds by the mainstream media, because right now Jeff Hardy exists to a very small amount of people. Unless Jeff Hardy died in some truly spectacular fashion, like in the ring or by taking a shotgun onto a public bus, no one who isn't a die hard wrestling fan would notice or much care. It certainly wouldn't be as big a story to non-wrestling fans as the guy from the biggest show on cable falling 70 feet to his death while wearing a stupid costume.

18 months ago Jeff Hardy's death would have been a disaster for the business. Not so much anymore.

(edited by spf on 16.12.10 1619)

(edited by spf on 16.12.10 1620)

2007 and 2008 W-League Fantasy Football champion!
JustinShapiro
Scrapple
Moderator








Since: 12.12.01
From: Pittsburgh, PA

Since last post: 17 hours
Last activity: 7 hours
#25 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.81
Jeff Hardy is still p. famous, I'm guessing he still does very well in Google searches and Twitter followings and things like that. Whether he works for TNA is actually kind of irrelevant because he'd probably be treated as a big WWE death while they nervously tug their collar and bold italicize underline the "since August 2009" part of their WWE.com obituary. Would it be a disaster for the entire business? I think it would get a relative ton of mainstream attention for a few days and then dissipate. Speculating further seems morbid and weird.
Hogan's My Dad
Andouille








Since: 8.6.02
From: Canada

Since last post: 8 days
Last activity: 1 day
#26 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.30
    Originally posted by spf
      Originally posted by Hogan's My Dad
      Jeff Hardy is probably a bigger star now than Owen ever was, and his death would be a disaster for the entire business.

    Jeff Hardy performs before crowds that barely crack four figures and is on a tv show that barely draws a 1.0 cable rating and performs on PPV shows that are lucky to crack 10,000 viewers.

    The last appearance on Raw of a living Owen Hart was on a show that drew a 6.4 cable rating. The night Owen Hart died 16,000 people watched it happen live and somewhere around 500,000 were watching the PPV broadcast.

    Jeff Hardy dying would be noted for about 12 seconds by the mainstream media, because right now Jeff Hardy exists to a very small amount of people. Unless Jeff Hardy died in some truly spectacular fashion, like in the ring or by taking a shotgun onto a public bus, no one who isn't a die hard wrestling fan would notice or much care. It certainly wouldn't be as big a story to non-wrestling fans as the guy from the biggest show on cable falling 70 feet to his death while wearing a stupid costume.

    18 months ago Jeff Hardy's death would have been a disaster for the business. Not so much anymore.

This entire argument boils down to "because wrestling was more popular in 1999 than 2010, everyone in 1999 was a bigger star than everyone in 2010", which is flimsy. Bret Hart headlined during lean years compared to the Attitude era: was Stevie Richards a bigger star than Bret?

I agree with Justin we shouldn't speculate, but I think a major star ex world-champ dying would be bad. We all remember the CNN footage of Benoit. Eddie's World Champion profile also got a degree of coverage.




(edited by Hogan's My Dad on 16.12.10 1542)


Quiet, Or Papa Spank!
Pages: Prev 1 2
Thread rated: 4.95
Pages: Prev 1 2
Thread ahead: NXT #42 - we are once again wild and/or young
Next thread: Slammy Awards RAW #916 12/13/10
Previous thread: NWA Championship Wrestling from Hollywood #13 - 12/10/10
(2075 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Sadly no he's pretty much a better wrestler and more entertaining character than any Aces and Eights member though.
- graves9, Impact Wrestling 2-28-13 (2013)
The W - Pro Wrestling - Bill Behrens talks about Jeff Hardy (Page 2)Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.553 seconds.