The W
Views: 95585269
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
17.4.14 1951
The W - Movies & TV - Best Super Bowl XLIV Commercial (Page 3)
This thread has 62 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 5.66
Pages: Prev 1 2 3
(2080 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (48 total)
Lise
Mrs. Guru








Since: 11.12.01

Since last post: 231 days
Last activity: 121 days
#41 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.87
    Originally posted by Reverend J Shaft

    Are you kidding me? Just ask Terry O'Neill, president of NOW, who thinks the Tebow ad was "an endorsement of violence against women." Of course, she may have another underlying reason for attacking the ad (whatever could it be?). I believe there's a padded cell with her name on it somewhere.


Actually that ad was one of least misogynistic. I was pretty surprised that they basically went with "I struggled with a hard decision, but I think I made the right choice".
drjayphd
Scrapple
Moderator








Since: 22.4.02
From: Connecticut

Since last post: 21 days
Last activity: 19 hours
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#42 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.32
    Originally posted by Lise
      Originally posted by Reverend J Shaft

      Are you kidding me? Just ask Terry O'Neill, president of NOW, who thinks the Tebow ad was "an endorsement of violence against women." Of course, she may have another underlying reason for attacking the ad (whatever could it be?). I believe there's a padded cell with her name on it somewhere.


    Actually that ad was one of least misogynistic. I was pretty surprised that they basically went with "I struggled with a hard decision, but I think I made the right choice".


...which was probably the only way they could go, realistically. Focus on the Family's reputation probably had more to do with the sturm und drang preceding the ad. (Hell, my girlfriend thought it was a beer ad before seeing the tagline. Not what you'd expect from the anti-abortion crowd, given their reputation... but that's another episode.)





You wanted the best, you got... the Out of Context Quote of the Week.

"Besides, you already had me at "Blood and semen."" (Zeruel)

Mr. Boffo
Scrapple








Since: 24.3.02
From: Oshkosh, WI

Since last post: 263 days
Last activity: 223 days
#43 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.39
Frankly, with the commercial they ended up going with, it almost would have made more sense to go the mancrunch.com route where you have your commercial banned, you get a bunch of publicity for it, and you don't have to actually pay the $2.5 million because your commercial never aired.

This commercial was so benign that it seems pretty meaningless.
TheOldMan
Landjager








Since: 13.2.03
From: Chicago

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 1 day
#44 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.47
    Originally posted by Mr. Boffo
    Frankly, with the commercial they ended up going with, it almost would have made more sense to go the mancrunch.com route where you have your commercial banned, you get a bunch of publicity for it, and you don't have to actually pay the $2.5 million because your commercial never aired.

    This commercial was so benign that it seems pretty meaningless.


I thought it was more like Nike's first ad for Tiger - "Hello World" - a way of introducing Tebow to the country as a spokesman for this issue. If you didn't know what the supposed message was going in, you weren't going to get it from that ad. Or maybe it was just a shoutout to their base, in a "look how big and important we are, to have a spot on the big show" manner?

Me, I liked the Google ad. I'm still trying to decide if the commercials are getting worse, or it's just that the last couple of games have been better to the point where I'm mentally tuning out the sponsors.



odessasteps
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02
From: MD, USA

Since last post: 23 days
Last activity: 13 hours
#45 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.48

I thought I mentioned this yesterday.

The Tebow ad was heavily edited from the original submission.

Also, did NOW complain about the violence against Betty White?



Mark Coale
Odessa Steps Magazine
ISSUE FOUR - OCTOBER 2009
Lise
Mrs. Guru








Since: 11.12.01

Since last post: 231 days
Last activity: 121 days
#46 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.87
    Originally posted by odessasteps

    I thought I mentioned this yesterday.

    The Tebow ad was heavily edited from the original submission.

    Also, did NOW complain about the violence against Betty White?


Dude, Betty took a wicked hit
BigDaddyLoco
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02

Since last post: 22 hours
Last activity: 14 hours
#47 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.39
    Originally posted by BigDaddyLoco
    So, did the Air Force rip off The White Stripes 'In Love With a Girl' and change it slightly, or did they really get the rights to the song?




Figured Jack White would be pissed ... Click Here (content.usatoday.com)
emma
Cherries > Peaches








Since: 1.8.02
From: Phoenix-ish

Since last post: 22 days
Last activity: 22 hours
#48 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.43
In response to the "Man's Last Stand" (youtube.com) commercial for Dodge Charger, here's a "Woman's Last Stand" (youtube.com) response.

Pity they didn't end it with her toodling off in a mini-van full of screaming kids.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3
Thread rated: 5.66
Pages: Prev 1 2 3
Thread ahead: The Cleveland Show 1x13: Buried Pleasure
Next thread: American Dad 5x12: May the Best Stan Win
Previous thread: NEW ON DVD 2/16/10: 182 releases coming out Tuesday
(2080 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
I think that Sawyer's line was just meant to emphasize that Nikki and Paolo are making themselves known to the main 'clique'. (I actually had someone react the same way to me recently in a slightly similar situation.)
- EddieBurkett, Lost 3-11....'Enter 77' (2007)
Related threads: SUPER BOWL XLIV: New Orleans Saints 31, Indianapolis Colts 17 - Super Bowl XLIV: Let the hype begin - More...
The W - Movies & TV - Best Super Bowl XLIV Commercial (Page 3)Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.267 seconds.