The W
Views: 97662503
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
25.7.14 0403
The W - Pro Wrestling - Benoit as a face?
This thread has 8 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Pages: 1(10878 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (9 total)
The Big Kat
Kishke








Since: 11.1.02
From: Austin, TX

Since last post: 370 days
Last activity: 18 hours
#1 Posted on
So I went to the Smackdown house show here in Champaign Saturday night. It was pretty good but there was one thing I found kind of strange. Matt Hardy (Version 1) came out and cut a promo on Champaign, estaablishing himself as the heel for the match. Then Chris Benoit came out to a huge pop, and got several "Benoit" chants. I thought it was pretty awesome. Do they do stuff like this at house shows a lot, or could it be an experiment to see the crowd's reaction?

Also, TBS challenged Brock for the WWE Title, in a SS preview. If this was a preview, I hope they keep working out more details. A REALLY slow match, with TBS getting Brock in a bearhug for a very long time. It seemed like the people at the show didn't know who to root for, either.

One other thing, I was disappointed when I saw that Angle was wrestling...Eric Angle. Kurt didn't show, so we had to settle for his brother. Oh well.

(edited by The Big Kat on 11.11.02 1030)


-The Big Kat
When you're tired of wishing on a falling star, you gotta put your faith in a loud guitar. -KISS
Promote this thread!
Sinister Evil
Linguica








Since: 28.6.02
From: Staten Island, NY

Since last post: 2202 days
Last activity: 10 hours
AIM:  
#2 Posted on
With the fued between Angle and Benoit heating up, one of them will have to turn face soon. It's possible Benoit would be the choice.



Visit my band's homepage!! www.Burgundyband.com
The 5th Horseman
Kolbasz








Since: 23.10.02
From: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Since last post: 2913 days
Last activity: 2902 days
#3 Posted on
I think Benoit can work very well as the smaller underdog babyface taking down much bigger heels with his hard working intensity and technical skills. He was over as a babyface when he left with his neck injury. I remember how crowds would erupt when he slapped the Crippler Crossface on someone.
JST
Liverwurst








Since: 20.1.02
From: Quebec City, CAN

Since last post: 11 days
Last activity: 4 hours
#4 Posted on
Say, does Eric have the same Angle charm as his little brother?



The Big Kat
Kishke








Since: 11.1.02
From: Austin, TX

Since last post: 370 days
Last activity: 18 hours
#5 Posted on

    Originally posted by Tod deKindes
    Say, does Eric have the same Angle charm as his little brother?


Not really. He does look pretty much the same, bald head, singlet, but he's not as ripped as Kurt. No medals either.



-The Big Kat
When you're tired of wishing on a falling star, you gotta put your faith in a loud guitar. -KISS
vacheroi
Chorizo








Since: 29.5.02

Since last post: 3782 days
Last activity: 3779 days
#6 Posted on
I thought that Angle/Benoit were tweeners for the three way feud (with Los Guerreros as the clear heels and Edge/Rey as the clear faces.) It's hard to tell what kind of reaction Benoit gets on TV(from the canned heat), but after the requisite "You Suck" chant, the crowd seems really behind ANgle when he's in the ring (from what you can see of their on-camera reactions.)
redsoxnation
Scrapple








Since: 24.7.02

Since last post: 389 days
Last activity: 389 days
#7 Posted on

    Originally posted by The Big Kat
    So I went to the Smackdown house show here in Champaign Saturday night. It was pretty good but there was one thing I found kind of strange. Matt Hardy (Version 1) came out and cut a promo on Champaign, estaablishing himself as the heel for the match. Then Chris Benoit came out to a huge pop, and got several "Benoit" chants. I thought it was pretty awesome. Do they do stuff like this at house shows a lot, or could it be an experiment to see the crowd's reaction?

    Also, TBS challenged Brock for the WWE Title, in a SS preview. If this was a preview, I hope they keep working out more details. A REALLY slow match, with TBS getting Brock in a bearhug for a very long time. It seemed like the people at the show didn't know who to root for, either.

    One other thing, I was disappointed when I saw that Angle was wrestling...Eric Angle. Kurt didn't show, so we had to settle for his brother. Oh well.

    (edited by The Big Kat on 11.11.02 1030)





I think they were pulling Kurt off houseshows for the weekend to recuperate from injuries.



I want you to know, I agree with everything I've just said.
DarrylTheHitman
Potato korv








Since: 21.9.02
From: Kitimat, British Columbia, Canada

Since last post: 3190 days
Last activity: 2808 days
#8 Posted on
Benoit was getting over as a face in 2001 but it helped that he had Jericho to do most of the talking for him. Maybe bring back Shane O Mac as a face mouthpiece for Benoit?



The 5th Horseman
Kolbasz








Since: 23.10.02
From: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Since last post: 2913 days
Last activity: 2902 days
#9 Posted on

    Originally posted by DarrylTheHitman
    Benoit was getting over as a face in 2001 but it helped that he had Jericho to do most of the talking for him. Maybe bring back Shane O Mac as a face mouthpiece for Benoit?


Actually, Benoit had seemingly gotten over as a face before he was teamed with Jericho. Of course, he was working primarily against Kurt Angle at the time (this was when Benoit stole Angle's gold medal and had them in his tights) so most of the heat could have been coming from Kurt's side of the feud. I do remember a demonstration by Kurt, before the Benoit-Angle Submission match, when Angle was bringing out several jobbers and using all kind of different submission holds to make them tap out. While he was throwing one of them out of the ring, Benoit came in the ring and slapped on the Crippler Crossface which had Angle tapping furiously. The crowd erupted when Benoit slapped on the Crossface.

It might not be a bad idea to give Benoit a manager type to be his mouthpiece but, I think Benoit is underrated on the stick. He's not the funny guy on the stick but, he can get across his intensity. Maybe he just needs some motivation. I remember Benoit doing some very good mic work during his feud with Kevin Sullivan. Maybe the legitimate heat between Benoit and Sullivan brought something out of Benoit.
Pages: 1Thread ahead: HHH in the Cincinnati Enquirer
Next thread: What's better then a Grand Slam Champion?
Previous thread: Old Gimmicks with New Wrestlers
(10878 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Hmmmm -- the version I've heard is kinda the opposite of that, that being that Vince, transitioning into his "New Generation" phase, no longer envisioned Savage as a full-time wrestler but rather as an announcer who made occasional wrestling ap...
- Destrucity, Lesnar taps out (2005)
The W - Pro Wrestling - Benoit as a face?Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.623 seconds.