The W
Views: 134610743
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Color chart | Log in for more!
16.7.11 0007
The 7 - Football - Trust to take Reggie Bush's Heisman Register and log in to post!
(137 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (12 total)
CajunMan
Boudin blanc
No longer registered
Level: 98

Posts: 2246/2483
EXP: 9614279
For next: 40108

Since: 2.1.02
From: Give me a Title shot!

Since last post: 2461 days
Last activity: 1598 days
#1 Posted on 7.9.10 1434.57
Reposted on: 7.9.17 1435.31
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ys-bushheisman090710

I think this kind of sucks that they are going to penalize him like this, What is next? Will they take away S.C.'s national championships too? Just pretend it never happened?
Promote this thread!
The Game
Boudin rouge
Level: 45

Posts: 368/501
EXP: 649891
For next: 10278

Since: 5.5.09

Since last post: 1742 days
Last activity: 1742 days
#2 Posted on 7.9.10 1439.57
Reposted on: 7.9.17 1440.18
I think if they are soon to take away Bush's Heisman and did put some really stiff penalties on USC's program, taking away their championships will probably be inevitable.

In relation to USC and what will probably happen to their championships, like Triple H said, "It never happened".

(edited by The Game on 7.9.10 1440)
It's False
Scrapple
Level: 145

Posts: 3862/6155
EXP: 36994259
For next: 609913

Since: 20.6.02
From: I am the Tag Team Champions!

Since last post: 117 days
Last activity: 54 days
#3 Posted on 7.9.10 1443.54
Reposted on: 7.9.17 1444.07
I understand penalizing USC because they turned a blind eye while Bush took illegal benefits. But what I don't understand is that the Heisman is supposed to be a performance-based award. Nothing Bush did enhanced his performance on the field, so how is taking this award away from him fair?

And this question is coming from an admitted USC-hater who would love to see Lane Kiffin sent out of town on a rail.
thecubsfan
Scrapple
Moderator
Level: 146

Posts: 3253/6176
EXP: 37787242
For next: 726144

Since: 10.12.01
From: Aurora, IL

Since last post: 2 hours
Last activity: 2 hours
#4 Posted on 7.9.10 1506.45
Reposted on: 7.9.17 1514.10
This is how the Heisman Trust describes their award


    The outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity.


They didn't bold it, but they probably would when explaining why they're taking the award back.
spf
Scrapple
Level: 138

Posts: 4980/5410
EXP: 30920543
For next: 742517

Since: 2.1.02
From: The Las Vegas of Canada

Since last post: 987 days
Last activity: 407 days
AIM:  
#5 Posted on 7.9.10 1640.32
Reposted on: 7.9.17 1643.12
    Originally posted by It's False
    I understand penalizing USC because they turned a blind eye while Bush took illegal benefits. But what I don't understand is that the Heisman is supposed to be a performance-based award. Nothing Bush did enhanced his performance on the field, so how is taking this award away from him fair?

    And this question is coming from an admitted USC-hater who would love to see Lane Kiffin sent out of town on a rail.

If he was an ineligible player, then you have to say that he can't be awarded for anything he did would be my guess. Kind of like if Peyton Manning put on a fake mustache and went back to UT for a season and put up huge numbers, won the Heisman, then revealed his ruse.
Zeruel
Thirty Millionth Hit
Moderator
Level: 136

Posts: 4463/5283
EXP: 29838723
For next: 258269

Since: 2.1.02
From: The Silver Spring in the Land of Mary.

Since last post: 424 days
Last activity: 366 days
#6 Posted on 7.9.10 1715.31
Reposted on: 7.9.17 1716.57
    Originally posted by spf
      Originally posted by It's False
      I understand penalizing USC because they turned a blind eye while Bush took illegal benefits. But what I don't understand is that the Heisman is supposed to be a performance-based award. Nothing Bush did enhanced his performance on the field, so how is taking this award away from him fair?

      And this question is coming from an admitted USC-hater who would love to see Lane Kiffin sent out of town on a rail.

    If he was an ineligible player, then you have to say that he can't be awarded for anything he did would be my guess. Kind of like if Peyton Manning put on a fake mustache and went back to UT for a season and put up huge numbers, won the Heisman, then revealed his ruse.


Emphasis mine in your quote. He was ineligible, which is why USC has to vacate every game he played and since he was ineligible, he couldn't even be in the running for the Heisman.
StingArmy
Andouille
Level: 91

Posts: 1726/2118
EXP: 7263337
For next: 205604

Since: 3.5.03
From: Georgia bred, you can tell by my Hawk jersey

Since last post: 875 days
Last activity: 104 days
#7 Posted on 7.9.10 2041.31
Reposted on: 7.9.17 2056.30
Today on Around the Horn Woody Paige quoted (or maybe just paraphrased?) the Heisman guidelines that stated the Heisman winner had to be a college-eligible athlete.

- StingArmy
supersalvadoran
Sujuk
Level: 62

Posts: 651/996
EXP: 1947821
For next: 36876

Since: 10.1.08
From: westbury, new york

Since last post: 667 days
Last activity: 217 days
#8 Posted on 8.9.10 0022.08
Reposted on: 8.9.17 0023.22
    Originally posted by thecubsfan
    This is how the Heisman Trust describes their award


      The outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity.


    They didn't bold it, but they probably would when explaining why they're taking the award back.


And that's the problem I have with this. I'm not defending Reggie Bush; he does deserve to be punished in some way for his actions. But does he deserve a stiffer punishment than say, one OJ Simpson? Simpson (who let's forget if he did murder Nicole Brown and Robert Goldman, still was involved in numberous legal problems afterward and was convicted of robbery and kidnapping, gets to keep his while Bush has his taken away? If the trust has worries with Bush threatening the integrity of the trophy, shouldn't they had even bigger worries with OJ? What makes them act so harsh towards Bush that he's likely to be the 1st one to lose his trophy instead of Simpson?
Zeruel
Thirty Millionth Hit
Moderator
Level: 136

Posts: 4465/5283
EXP: 29838723
For next: 258269

Since: 2.1.02
From: The Silver Spring in the Land of Mary.

Since last post: 424 days
Last activity: 366 days
#9 Posted on 8.9.10 0024.37
Reposted on: 8.9.17 0029.01
    Originally posted by supersalvadoran


    And that's the problem I have with this. I'm not defending Reggie Bush; he does deserve to be punished in some way for his actions. But does he deserve a stiffer punishment than say, one OJ Simpson? Simpson (who let's forget if he did murder Nicole Brown and Robert Goldman, still was involved in numberous legal problems afterward and was convicted of robbery and kidnapping, gets to keep his while Bush has his taken away? If the trust has worries with Bush threatening the integrity of the trophy, shouldn't they had even bigger worries with OJ? What makes them act so harsh towards Bush that he's likely to be the 1st one to lose his trophy instead of Simpson?


OJ never lost his eligibility. I get what you're saying, about his off the field stuff, but he was still eligible to play the year he got his trophy.
ekedolphin
Scrapple
Level: 140

Posts: 4093/5635
EXP: 32844253
For next: 442234

Since: 12.1.02
From: Indianapolis, IN; now residing in Suffolk, VA

Since last post: 12 days
Last activity: 1 day
#10 Posted on 9.9.10 1906.36
Reposted on: 9.9.17 1909.42
I'm sure Reggie Bush will cry about this all the way to his next (massive) payday.
RyanAnderson's3PtMagic
Tocino
Banned
Level: 18

Posts: 4/62
EXP: 26119
For next: 3779

Since: 13.9.10
From: DC

Since last post: 2168 days
Last activity: 2155 days
#11 Posted on 13.9.10 0838.37
Reposted on: 13.9.17 0842.52
    Originally posted by ekedolphin
    I'm sure Reggie Bush will cry about this all the way to his next (massive) payday.


hee hee I rea this as next massive playboy, like the girls he dates, anyways as a big USC fan I think it is unfair kinda; yes we cheated but who doesn't
Ryan72182
Tocino
Level: 18

Posts: 40/61
EXP: 26540
For next: 3358

Since: 15.1.10

Since last post: 2816 days
Last activity: 2801 days
#12 Posted on 13.9.10 1515.16
Reposted on: 13.9.17 1516.31
You got caught. That's the difference. It's like the old saying: "Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat"



.....especially against Alabama. Fuck them.
ALL ORIGINAL POSTS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Thread ahead: 2010 Week 2
Next thread: The W Survival League: version 2010.0 (Week 1)
Previous thread: 2010 NFL point spread league
(137 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Related threads: SAINTS ARE SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!! - Who Dat! - Jeremy Shockey rushed to hospital - More...
The 7 - Football - Trust to take Reggie Bush's HeismanRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board - 7 year recycle

ZimBoard
©2001-2018 Brothers Zim
This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.396 seconds.