The W
Views: 97693004
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Color chart | Log in for more!
26.7.07 0010
The 7 - Current Events & Politics - Basketball player's war protest Register and log in to post!
Pages: Prev 1 2 3(1817 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (49 total)
vsp
Andouille
Level: 87

Posts: 882/2042
EXP: 6249186
For next: 143613

Since: 3.1.02
From: Philly

Since last post: 2944 days
Last activity: 158 days
#41 Posted on 3.3.03 1458.33
Reposted on: 3.3.10 1459.06

    Originally posted by jfkfc
    1. If she really didn't want to get noticed, she would have done what she wanted to do outside of the public forum - it is in public, and is a non-verbal statement.



Where OTHER than in "the public forum" are people asked to stop what they're doing, stand up and face the flag while the national anthem is played?


    Originally posted by calvinh0560
    Does anyone know if this girl is receiving federal financial ad at all to go to this school?


Why should anyone care?

Why should that be in the least bit relevant?
Jaguar
Knackwurst
Level: 106

Posts: 1361/3273
EXP: 12653227
For next: 18757

Since: 23.1.02
From: Phoenix, AZ

Since last post: 109 days
Last activity: 109 days
#42 Posted on 3.3.03 1458.33
Reposted on: 3.3.10 1459.07
Unless she's going to college on funds given to her directly by the current administration, I would think the point is moot.

-Jag
jfkfc
Liverwurst
Level: 68

Posts: 274/1177
EXP: 2723487
For next: 5327

Since: 9.2.02

Since last post: 9 days
Last activity: 3 days
#43 Posted on 3.3.03 1525.55
Reposted on: 3.3.10 1529.04

    Originally posted by vsp
    Where OTHER than in "the public forum" are people asked to stop what they're doing, stand up and face the flag while the national anthem is played?
I totally agree with you, only in a public area is that asked of a person. Why is this relevant? Facing the flag automatically means that you blindly support everything that every representative of your country says, does, or feels? No way is she wrong for what she did, but she should have realized it was a public statement, not tried to cowtow to anyone else by backtracking and saying it wasn't intended to be anything more than a private gesture.
PalpatineW
Lap cheong
Level: 77

Posts: 515/1528
EXP: 4045398
For next: 145750

Since: 2.1.02
From: Getting Rowdy

Since last post: 2740 days
Last activity: 2583 days
AIM:  
#44 Posted on 3.3.03 1530.19
Reposted on: 3.3.10 1530.31

    Originally posted by Jaguar
    Unless she's going to college on funds given to her directly by the current administration, I would think the point is moot.

    -Jag



I think the point is that she's protesting the U.S., so people want to know if she's getting government aid. And is M'ville a public or private college?
dMr
Andouille
Level: 89

Posts: 388/2210
EXP: 6799662
For next: 116266

Since: 2.11.02
From: Edinburgh, Scotland

Since last post: 17 days
Last activity: 7 hours
#45 Posted on 3.3.03 1548.00
Reposted on: 3.3.10 1550.58

    Originally posted by PalpatineW

      Originally posted by Jaguar
      Unless she's going to college on funds given to her directly by the current administration, I would think the point is moot.

      -Jag



    I think the point is that she's protesting the U.S., so people want to know if she's getting government aid. And is M'ville a public or private college?



Come on, shes not protesting the US. Shes protesting against a specific area of government policy.

Personally I have no time for the monarchy in my country and take issue with having 'God save the Queen' as my national anthem.

But I'll be damned if I'll cut off my nose to spite my face by refusing help offered to me by the monarchs government
Swordsman Yen
Frankfurter
Level: 56

Posts: 486/745
EXP: 1370455
For next: 27730

Since: 16.2.02
From: Shaolin

Since last post: 3848 days
Last activity: 3831 days
#46 Posted on 4.3.03 0121.18
Reposted on: 4.3.10 0125.57
Remember NBA player Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf several years ago? He didn't want to stand for the national anthem because he felt that the flag stood for oppression and against his religious beliefs. The NBA suspended him for that. There was no outcry that Mahmoud's wasn't given the right to freedom of speech. In fact, the justification was that "he gets paid a lot of money, so he has no right to say that". The result is that Mahmoud garnered little sympathy and widespread criticism.

Fast forward to the present. Some college girl faces away from the flag under the questionable (if not false) pretense of not wanting her protest to be noticed. She gets no disciplinary action from the team or the school. In fact, the college supports her right to protest, as do many out there. People fawn over her, saying things to the extent of "This poor girl is just expressing herself. Leave her alone." Even some are giving her the widely-misused label of "hero". It appears the worst that has happened to her is some vet off his medication rushing the court to wave a flag in her face.

Mahmoud and this girl shared similar beliefs, yet Mahmoud probably wished he had half the support this girl is getting. Somebody tell me how the good-old fashioned double standard isn't in play here.

(On a side note, I have absolutely no problem with the girl's beliefs on the flag or American policy. However, I do question the method that she chose to express them by selfishly putting her own motives ahead of the team and potentially causing an unwanted distraction from what they're supposed to primarily be doing: playing basketball.)
PalpatineW
Lap cheong
Level: 77

Posts: 517/1528
EXP: 4045398
For next: 145750

Since: 2.1.02
From: Getting Rowdy

Since last post: 2740 days
Last activity: 2583 days
AIM:  
#47 Posted on 4.3.03 0736.54
Reposted on: 4.3.10 0737.30

    Originally posted by dMr

      Originally posted by PalpatineW

        Originally posted by Jaguar
        Unless she's going to college on funds given to her directly by the current administration, I would think the point is moot.

        -Jag



      I think the point is that she's protesting the U.S., so people want to know if she's getting government aid. And is M'ville a public or private college?



    Come on, shes not protesting the US. Shes protesting against a specific area of government policy.

    Personally I have no time for the monarchy in my country and take issue with having 'God save the Queen' as my national anthem.

    But I'll be damned if I'll cut off my nose to spite my face by refusing help offered to me by the monarchs government



Last I checked, she's protesting the U.S. I don't question her right to do so, but I don't want to mistakenly tie this in with the Iraq issue. When she said there is "inequality" here, and that "the rich [are getting] richer and the poor [are getting] poorer," I don't think she was referring to Iraq.
Net Hack Slasher
Banger
Level: 100

Posts: 958/2805
EXP: 10057434
For next: 296998

Since: 6.1.02
From: Outer reaches of your mind

Since last post: 3500 days
Last activity: 1920 days
#48 Posted on 4.3.03 1509.16
Reposted on: 4.3.10 1514.24
    Originally posted by PalpatineW
    You mock the Vietnam vet in the story pretty freely, Slasher. Maybe it's easier to understand the feelings of some airhead college kid than it is to understand the feelings of a man who has likely faced death and worse in the name of his country. Surely this sheltered middle class girl has more legitimate reasons for what she says than this silly "war hero," eh


Don't care if he's a "war hero" or Pope John Paul, you harass a 20 year old girl I think pretty low of you. Just because your a vet doesn't give you carte blanche to be a total ass... If he really wants to get his message out, do a speech during Veterans Day. Or do what every whacko does. Call up a AM talk radio show and spew for 3 minutes, either way stay out of Toni's stage.

I don't think I was mocking him too much, I actually thought I kept it pretty P.C. If I really wanted to go over the line I would have said something like "I wonder how many 20 year old Vietnam women he felt the need to be aggressive with." Or something like bully + military + United States flag = well I'm sure you can fill the rest... But that would jumping to conclusions, you know much like people who are calling her an anti-American who hates and despises everything the flag represents. Even though they read what specific cause (or causes) she disagrees with America. One thing to jump to conclusions, it's another thing to stand on your own conclusion even if when she stated her story.

It's so funny reading, She's got the right to her opinion BUT.. Let's have an FBI investigation on her to see if she got any American benefits what so ever. I hope she has because you know she's AMERCIAN. I'd venture to guess her family pays taxes and are not secretly come to the U.S as some terrorist cell sponsored by a middle east billionaire. Because you don't sit there with you mini flag and sheepishly scream "Love it or Leave it" at every situation doesn't make you any less American. I actually think it makes you more American to have an independent thought.

As for doing this in public, I just give her respect for being such a young age actually believing in something and going against the grain even with the the most people would look at her just as an anti-American.



(edited by Net Hack Slasher on 4.3.03 1615)
Pool-Boy
Lap cheong
Level: 81

Posts: 1037/1759
EXP: 4880339
For next: 112531

Since: 1.8.02
From: Huntington Beach, CA

Since last post: 1226 days
Last activity: 25 days
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#49 Posted on 4.3.03 1526.45
Reposted on: 4.3.10 1529.11
    Originally posted by Net Hack Slasher
    Don't care if he's a "war hero" or Pope John Paul, you harass a 20 year old girl I think pretty low of you. Just because your a vet doesn't give you carte blanche to be a total ass... If he really wants to get his message out, do a speech during Veterans Day. Or do what every whacko does. Call up a AM talk radio show and spew for 3 minutes, either way stay out of Toni's stage.

    I don't think I was mocking him too much, I actually thought I kept it pretty P.C. If I really wanted to go over the line I would have said something like "I wonder how many 20 year old Vietnam women he felt the need to be aggressive with." Or something like bully + military + United States flag = well I'm sure you can fill the rest... But that would jumping to conclusions, you know much like people who are calling her an anti-American who hates and despises everything the flag represents. Even though they read what specific cause (or causes) she disagrees with America. One thing to jump to conclusions, it's another thing to stand on your own conclusion even if when she stated her story.

    It's so funny reading, She's got the right to her opinion BUT.. Let's have an FBI investigation on her to see if she got any American benefits what so ever. I hope she has because you know she's AMERCIAN. I'd venture to guess her family pays taxes and are not secretly come to the U.S as some terrorist cell sponsored by a middle east billionaire. Because you don't sit there with you mini flag and sheepishly scream "Love it or Leave it" at every situation doesn't make you any less American. I actually think it makes you more American to have an independent thought.

    As for doing this in public, I just give her respect for being such a young age actually believing in something and going against the grain even with the the most people would look at her just as an anti-American.




I have already stated that I support her right to do what she did. However, it is crap like this that makes it so hard to "cross the line" or discuss any issue rationally. Why is it necessary to completely blast one of our soldiers, who DID fight for this country, over the totally MINOR point about what kinds of benifits she is getting? What in God's name is wrong with just disagreeing, and pointing out that whether or not she is recieving federal finantial aid it totally irrelavant to the point at hand? I agree with you on the core issue, Net, but this sort of firey rhetoric only serves to make it damn near impossible for anyone on "this" side of the aisle to stand up and agree with you. The stance you are taking here is that "Toni is right, Vetrans are rapists, and anyone who listens to AM radio is a whacko." What is the point of debating if anyone who can possibly disagree with you is a total moron or absolutly evil?

The vet has every right to be offended at her protest, just as she has every right to protest in the first place. Neither one is "evil" here, regardless of what NHS seems to think ...


(edited by Pool-Boy on 4.3.03 1329)
ALL ORIGINAL POSTS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Pages: Prev 1 2 3Thread ahead: John Brady Kiesling
Next thread: War: What Is It Good For? . . . . $300!
Previous thread: You know what's funny about this whole Iraq thing...
(1817 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
The 7 - Current Events & Politics - Basketball player's war protestRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board - 7 year recycle

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim
This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.29 seconds.