The W
Views: 99892797
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Color chart | Log in for more!
21.10.07 1515
The 7 - Pro Wrestling - The Reason why there's No More I-C Title
This thread has 1 referral leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Pages: 1 2 Next(7863 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (27 total)
tomvejada
Andouille
Level: 91

Posts: 806/2247
EXP: 7282967
For next: 185974

Since: 2.1.02

Since last post: 4072 days
Last activity: 4072 days
#1 Posted on 8.10.02 1827.18
Reposted on: 8.10.09 1829.06
from 1wrestling.com:

Triple H is reason there will be no longer be an IC title

Triple H is the reason there will no longer be an IC title after the No Mercy PPV. Originally WWE had planned to make the IC title RAW's top title but Triple H refused to be IC champion because he felt itís beneath him and wanted to have a world championship on the level of Brock Lesner's World championship.

Credit: Premium.1wrestling.com



Promote this thread!
PowerPB13
Potato korv
Level: 54

Posts: 40/669
EXP: 1168727
For next: 65150

Since: 25.4.02
From: Belleville, IL USA

Since last post: 7 hours
Last activity: 7 hours
AIM:  
#2 Posted on 8.10.02 1834.33
Reposted on: 8.10.09 1834.36
(begins composing parody song based on "Blame Canada" from the South Park movie entitled "Blame Triple H"...)

-Patrick
DirtyMikeSeaver
Boudin rouge
Level: 48

Posts: 37/506
EXP: 766765
For next: 56783

Since: 19.5.02
From: Toronto

Since last post: 28 days
Last activity: 28 days
#3 Posted on 8.10.02 1843.30
Reposted on: 8.10.09 1849.56
So let me get this straight.... The IC title was 'beneath' him, yet a title that was handed to him in a briefcase is somehow more 'legit' or 'prestigious'.

If that's story is true, Triple H is a bigger mark the Bret Hart.
Scar
Goetta
Level: 39

Posts: 208/313
EXP: 378610
For next: 26165

Since: 2.1.02
From: NS, Canada

Since last post: 1491 days
Last activity: 1147 days
#4 Posted on 8.10.02 1906.56
Reposted on: 8.10.09 1906.58
Actually it doesn't sound like that much of a bad idea because the IC belt would of seemed lower to Smackdown's Championship.
It's False
Scrapple
Level: 138

Posts: 201/6025
EXP: 31392553
For next: 270507

Since: 20.6.02
From: I am the Tag Team Champions!

Since last post: 7 days
Last activity: 20 min.
#5 Posted on 8.10.02 1954.30
Reposted on: 8.10.09 1959.04
Um...is there a REASON Triple H felt that the IC title was beneath him? I don't recall Ric Flair saying the United States title was beneath him back in 1996. I don't remember Undertaker saying the Hardcore title was beneath him a couple of months ago. Am I missing something here?

And to those that say the IC title is beneath him, well why the hell does PoocHHHie even need to hold a title right now to begin with? There's a reason he was being given the IC title and that's because they're trying to push BROCK as #1 heel! But that's not good enough for PoocHHHie and his ego! So now we have him holding a fake world title and Brock looking like a pussy.
Texas Kelly
Lap cheong
Level: 76

Posts: 220/1500
EXP: 3971850
For next: 34229

Since: 3.1.02
From: FOREST HILLS CONTROLS THE UNIVERSE

Since last post: 47 days
Last activity: 1 day
ICQ:  
#6 Posted on 8.10.02 2001.34
Reposted on: 8.10.09 2004.22
OK, that's it. That's the last straw. Teo needs to be fired. Not tomorrow, not after breakfast, NOW. Vince cannot let this man destroy a belt with eons of history and legacy on a freakin' whim. It's gone beyond his vendetta with Jericho now. Please, Vince. Do it for your company and all of the good people who work for it.

Fire Teo. Don't delay.

:(
Excalibur05
Knackwurst
Level: 102

Posts: 668/2927
EXP: 10807558
For next: 282447

Since: 19.1.02
From: Minnesota

Since last post: 10 days
Last activity: 4 days
AIM:  
#7 Posted on 8.10.02 2009.31
Reposted on: 8.10.09 2010.07

    Originally posted by It's False
    Um...is there a REASON Triple H felt that the IC title was beneath him? I don't recall Ric Flair saying the United States title was beneath him back in 1996. I don't remember Undertaker saying the Hardcore title was beneath him a couple of months ago. Am I missing something here?

    And to those that say the IC title is beneath him, well why the hell does PoocHHHie even need to hold a title right now to begin with? There's a reason he was being given the IC title and that's because they're trying to push BROCK as #1 heel! But that's not good enough for PoocHHHie and his ego! So now we have him holding a fake world title and Brock looking like a pussy.



Settle, down there.

It said that they wanted to make the I.C. belt Raw's number one title. Which means that Brock's jump (with the WWE Title) exclusively to Smackdown! would have already happened. So, for Raw to have a world championship, then it'd have to go to a top wrestler on Raw's show. You know who that is? HHH. So, he can take the I.C. title (away from Rob Van Dam, mind you...wouldn't you have loved that?) or he can say what he said (I assume). "Hey, the I.C. title isn't seen as a World Title on the level of Brock Lesner's WWE Title. If we want to have a "World Championship" we should probably start over with a new belt.

To me, Brock doesn't come off looking any worse for wear because of this. It was well set up (Stephanie alluded to Brock's defection at Summerslam, if you remember) and he left to Smackdown, where assumably, he's making more money. It doesn't make him look like he's running away from HHH, it makes him (or rather Heyman and Stephanie) look like businessmen. But then of course, HHH can bitch about how he doesn't get his world title shot. Bischoff says that HHH gets his world title shot, Stephanie says no. Both are equal in storyline power. HHH gets his own world title in retaliation.

Split rosters. Split champions. Split everything. Brock is the #1 heel on Smackdown (maybe, Angle is pretty close). HHH is the #1 heel on Raw. Honestly, this isn't something to start a catfight over.

If the news story is even true.
InVerse
Bierwurst
Level: 83

Posts: 127/1871
EXP: 5391947
For next: 40297

Since: 26.8.02

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 4 hours
#8 Posted on 8.10.02 2013.54
Reposted on: 8.10.09 2014.57
If HHH is as powerful as everyone seems to think he is, then why didn't he just stop the roster split from happening in the first place or else somehow put himself on both shows? I mean, if he has the power to single-handedly determine what's going to happen with individual titles, surely he can book himself on both shows. More than likely, if anything happened at all, HHH voiced his opinion on what should be done with the main Raw title and that's what happened. And why would this story suddenly surface after so many weeks anyway?
Socks
Landjager
Level: 61

Posts: 246/888
EXP: 1775271
For next: 101336

Since: 25.6.02
From: Ottawa

Since last post: 820 days
Last activity: 432 days
#9 Posted on 8.10.02 2016.52
Reposted on: 8.10.09 2021.45
Don't believe everything to read......
Mr Heel II
Lap cheong
Level: 76

Posts: 180/1503
EXP: 3960856
For next: 45223

Since: 25.2.02

Since last post: 5 days
Last activity: 30 min.
#10 Posted on 8.10.02 2021.51
Reposted on: 8.10.09 2023.28
In any case, if they really want to keep up this brand extension thing, it DOES make sense to have seperate "world" titles.

Future Wrestlemanias could feature the champ from Smackdown vs. the RAW champ, not for title unification, but just for bragging rights or maybe some special trophy (ala KOTR). Same with the tag champs.

At the same time, I would have preferred they left the IC title on RAW and made an equivalent on Smackdown (the TV champ or something.)

(edited by Mr Heel II on 8.10.02 2031)
Downtown Bookie
Morcilla
Level: 53

Posts: 105/647
EXP: 1113729
For next: 43397

Since: 7.4.02
From: The Inner City, Now Living In The Country

Since last post: 132 days
Last activity: 26 days
#11 Posted on 8.10.02 2054.03
Reposted on: 8.10.09 2055.11

    Originally posted by Mr Heel II
    At the same time, I would have preferred they left the IC title on RAW and made an equivalent on Smackdown (the TV champ or something).


Just my opinion, of course, but I think the removal of the IC Title from RAW helps advance the brand extension process. While I obviously have no way of knowing this for sure, I would expect the IC title to eventually show up on Smackdown as that program's number two belt, as the IC Title has its history in the WWF/WWE. Meanwhile, I anticipate one of the old WCW titles (perhaps the US Title, or maybe the Television title) to sooner or later turn up on RAW as that promotion's number two title, thus adding to the "Nitrofication" of that show. Again, I have no way of knowing if this is Vince's actual plan, but it's the way I would go.
PowerPB13
Potato korv
Level: 54

Posts: 43/669
EXP: 1168727
For next: 65150

Since: 25.4.02
From: Belleville, IL USA

Since last post: 7 hours
Last activity: 7 hours
AIM:  
#12 Posted on 8.10.02 2245.12
Reposted on: 8.10.09 2252.55

    Originally posted by tomvejada
    from 1wrestling.com:

    Triple H is reason there will be no longer be an IC title

    Triple H is the reason there will no longer be an IC title after the No Mercy PPV. Originally WWE had planned to make the IC title RAW's top title but Triple H refused to be IC champion because he felt itís beneath him and wanted to have a world championship on the level of Brock Lesner's World championship.

    Credit: Premium.1wrestling.com






Hmm...maybe it's just me, but I don't see ANYTHING IN THERE that says HHH wanted to get rid of the I-C Title. I just see the fact that HHH wanted a different World Title rather than the I-C Title.

But then, consider the source.

-Patrick
Mild Mannered Madman
Toulouse
Level: 71

Posts: 315/1274
EXP: 3089878
For next: 77251

Since: 1.3.02
From: Westminster, CA

Since last post: 468 days
Last activity: 185 days
#13 Posted on 8.10.02 2318.52
Reposted on: 8.10.09 2318.55
Trips didn't seem to mind holding the IC belt a YEAR ago, when he was more over as a heel.

Don't buy bullshit Bob.con stories.
humanmeal
Mettwurst
Level: 29

Posts: 119/160
EXP: 137278
For next: 10608

Since: 17.3.02
From: East Bay Area, California

Since last post: 4144 days
Last activity: 3420 days
#14 Posted on 8.10.02 2331.21
Reposted on: 8.10.09 2335.44
Originally posted by Excalibur05:

Settle, down there.

It said that they wanted to make the I.C. belt Raw's number one title. Which means that Brock's jump (with the WWE Title) exclusively to Smackdown! would have already happened. So, for Raw to have a world championship, then it'd have to go to a top wrestler on Raw's show. You know who that is? HHH. So, he can take the I.C. title (away from Rob Van Dam, mind you...wouldn't you have loved that?) or he can say what he said (I assume). "Hey, the I.C. title isn't seen as a World Title on the level of Brock Lesner's WWE Title. If we want to have a "World Championship" we should probably start over with a new belt.

Originally posted by Excalibur05:
"To me, Brock doesn't come off looking any worse for wear because of this. It was well set up (Stephanie alluded to Brock's defection at Summerslam, if you remember) and he left to Smackdown, where assumably, he's making more money. It doesn't make him look like he's running away from HHH, it makes him (or rather Heyman and Stephanie) look like businessmen. But then of course, HHH can bitch about how he doesn't get his world title shot. Bischoff says that HHH gets his world title shot, Stephanie says no. Both are equal in storyline power. HHH gets his own world title in retaliation.

Split rosters. Split champions. Split everything. Brock is the #1 heel on Smackdown (maybe, Angle is pretty close). HHH is the #1 heel on Raw. Honestly, this isn't something to start a catfight over.

If the news story is even true."
___________________________________________

Only an idiot would dispute anyone with as many posts to his credit as Excal, so here I am!

Yeah, the first thing to consider is the likely inaccuracy of the report. There's probably a reason others call the site "1bullshit."

But Excal, your points quoted above don't address the IC title at all! And that's the whole point: There was no need to KILL OFF the fuckin' IC title to create a separate, perhaps eventually equivalent World title for the Raw brand! Reducing the total number of titles a while back wasn't a good idea because there should only be one title per show-- it was a good idea because there were TOO MANY titles.

The current number isn't too many at all, there's a crucial role for one secondary singles belt per promotion, and if they do eliminate the IC title it is just one more example of how, in the WWE of 2001-02, even if they've got it right, they've got it wrong. And so, although blaming everything on PoocHHHie can't be accurate, criticizing this move is dead on.


(edited by humanmeal on 8.10.02 2132)
Excalibur05
Knackwurst
Level: 102

Posts: 670/2927
EXP: 10807558
For next: 282447

Since: 19.1.02
From: Minnesota

Since last post: 10 days
Last activity: 4 days
AIM:  
#15 Posted on 9.10.02 0109.36
Reposted on: 9.10.09 0112.31
The basis of the 1Bob Story was that HHH was responsible for killing off the IC title. My point was, if the story was true, then HHH was responsible for the creation of the "World Title" for the RAW brand, not the destruction of the I.C. title.

So, all I'm saying is, it's kind of dumb to blame HHH for a decision which he may have had some very tenous impact on (the absorption of the I.C. Title into the World Title) when he was probably correct in his (assumed) intial desire (to have a belt that could actually be percieved as on par with the OTHER World Title, which the I.C. Title could not).

And just because I have a high post count, doesn't mean I'm always right. It just means I have opinions and spare time.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Pickled pork
Level: 31

Posts: 75/194
EXP: 181458
For next: 3907

Since: 16.6.02

Since last post: 4078 days
Last activity: 4078 days
#16 Posted on 9.10.02 0234.55
Reposted on: 9.10.09 0240.16
HHH is the reason why I never got a push...
Super Shane Spear
Bierwurst
Level: 83

Posts: 602/1839
EXP: 5392284
For next: 39960

Since: 2.1.02
From: Sector 7 Slums

Since last post: 1590 days
Last activity: 1589 days
#17 Posted on 9.10.02 0330.22
Reposted on: 9.10.09 0330.42
HHH is the reason Enron went belly up.
TheMASKEDComputerGeek
Chourico
Level: 36

Posts: 28/262
EXP: 289796
For next: 18317

Since: 7.1.02
From: Franklin, Wisconsin

Since last post: 78 days
Last activity: 14 hours
AIM:  
#18 Posted on 9.10.02 0745.11
Reposted on: 9.10.09 0746.24
HHH ran over my dog and made my girlfriend cheat.
PowerPB13
Potato korv
Level: 54

Posts: 44/669
EXP: 1168727
For next: 65150

Since: 25.4.02
From: Belleville, IL USA

Since last post: 7 hours
Last activity: 7 hours
AIM:  
#19 Posted on 9.10.02 0907.43
Reposted on: 9.10.09 0908.06

    Originally posted by Mild Mannered Madman
    Trips didn't seem to mind holding the IC belt a YEAR ago, when he was more over as a heel.

    Don't buy bullshit Bob.con stories.



I e-mailed Scherer on that note:

"I've read it over and over again, and I have yet to figure out exactly where you got the idea, from the info you mentioned, that Triple H was the one that wanted the I-C Title gone.

From what you said, Triple H wanted a different "World Title" on the same level as Brock's belt, rather than holding the I-C Title(which was allegedly planned to be the top belt on Raw). You didn't say anything about Triple H wanting the I-C Title done away with.

I realize the incredible amount of anti-Triple H bias that's on the internet these days, but when you're supposed to be a reliable news source, I'd appreciate it if you'd get your facts straight."

His response:

"How could you have read what I talked about on a hotline? I didn't write it. If you read it at a rip off site, they (as usual) got it wrong again. So, in that case it's YOU who needs to get YOUR facts straight."

Gee, touchy...

-Patrick
mountinman44
Sujuk
Level: 63

Posts: 281/974
EXP: 2050119
For next: 47044

Since: 8.5.02
From: San Diego, CA

Since last post: 1249 days
Last activity: 1096 days
Y!:
#20 Posted on 9.10.02 1011.06
Reposted on: 9.10.09 1016.17
HHH cost me a promotion at work. DAMN YOU, HHH, AND YOUR LARGE CHESTED WOMAN!!!

(edited by mountinman44 on 9.10.02 0811)
Pages: 1 2 NextThread ahead: REVIEW: Professional Wrestling Super Addiction Tape #1
Next thread: SmackDown! Report 10-10-02
Previous thread: RAW BLACKED OUT IN SOUTH LOUISIANA
(7863 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
The 7 - Pro Wrestling - The Reason why there's No More I-C TitleRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board - 7 year recycle

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim
This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.379 seconds.