The W
Views: 132001324
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Color chart | Log in for more!
21.4.11 0308
The 7 - Pro Wrestling - Randy Orton video package
This thread has 6 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
(9670 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (16 total)
MonteCarl
Potato korv
Level: 56

Posts: 71/666
EXP: 1323940
For next: 74245

Since: 21.1.02
From: Saginaw, MI

Since last post: 1086 days
Last activity: 115 days
AIM:  
#1 Posted on 1.10.02 1353.19
Reposted on: 1.10.09 1354.33
Was I the only one who thought the Randy Orton video package last night was hilarious? The way it was done exactly like those old NFL video packages; the "film stock" look to the footage, the old style/look of the opening graphic, and I swear they hired the same guy to do the voice over. Now if only it had been done for someone better than Randy Orton.

--Monte N
Promote this thread!
redsoxnation
Scrapple
Level: 158

Posts: 427/7534
EXP: 49586236
For next: 1100099

Since: 24.7.02

Since last post: 1755 days
Last activity: 1755 days
#2 Posted on 1.10.02 1424.54
Reposted on: 1.10.09 1429.07
It was blasphemy attempting to duplicate John Facenda's dolcid tones for a video of Randy Orton. Also, nice bit of hypocrisy of Vince having the announcers rip football all night, then rip off NFL Films. Oh well, the third season of the XFL will be starting very shortly. Oh year, that crashed in flames for Vince, how could I ever forget.
deadbeater
Morcilla
Level: 54

Posts: 584/623
EXP: 1195549
For next: 38328

Since: 12.2.02
From: Parts unknown

Since last post: 5647 days
Last activity: 5647 days
#3 Posted on 1.10.02 1451.46
Reposted on: 1.10.09 1459.07
Hey, it is a dig on the NFL taking bits from the production gimmicks of the late unlamented XFL (the starting players introducing themselves, the camera angles, etc).
The Amazing Salami
Sujuk
Level: 66

Posts: 257/1000
EXP: 2410705
For next: 51159

Since: 23.5.02
From: Oklahoma

Since last post: 5063 days
Last activity: 5062 days
#4 Posted on 1.10.02 1457.53
Reposted on: 1.10.09 1459.09
Well, whatever it was, dig on who or what ... I still thought it was lame.
Socks
Landjager
Level: 63

Posts: 235/889
EXP: 2014897
For next: 82266

Since: 25.6.02
From: Ottawa

Since last post: 814 days
Last activity: 690 days
#5 Posted on 1.10.02 1720.45
Reposted on: 1.10.09 1729.02
I thought it was great. Actually gives those casual viewers a back ground on who he is. I thought it was well done!
ekedolphin
Scrapple
Level: 140

Posts: 1123/5626
EXP: 32531409
For next: 755078

Since: 12.1.02
From: Indianapolis, IN; now residing in Suffolk, VA

Since last post: 15 days
Last activity: 15 hours
#6 Posted on 1.10.02 1721.36
Reposted on: 1.10.09 1729.03
Complete and utter cheese. I'm convinced that WWE, although pushing Orton as a babyface, is trying to get us to hate him in a real Rocky Maivia sort of way. The grinning, slapping hands with fans, all-American babyface who gets overpushed and who we can't stand. Then they turn him heel and give him a cutting-edge persona, making him the heel whom we want to cheer. Then after awhile he turns face again and stays that way for a long time.

Basically, I think it's an attempt at catching lightning in a bottle for a second time. And I'm not convinced that it'll work with Randy Orton. Then again, whoever thought that Rocky Maivia would end up as an eight-time World Heavyweight Champion?
Pool-Boy
Lap cheong
Level: 84

Posts: 132/1759
EXP: 5589935
For next: 72041

Since: 1.8.02
From: Huntington Beach, CA

Since last post: 2591 days
Last activity: 10 days
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#7 Posted on 1.10.02 1742.30
Reposted on: 1.10.09 1742.33
I actually thought it was kind of clever. And whatever they are TRYING to do... at least it is something somewhat new. And they are putting time and money behind a newer face... and on a Raw with HHH, this is amazing indeed!
Everyone who "hates" this should remember that in a way, they are giving you what you want!
redsoxnation
Scrapple
Level: 158

Posts: 431/7534
EXP: 49586236
For next: 1100099

Since: 24.7.02

Since last post: 1755 days
Last activity: 1755 days
#8 Posted on 1.10.02 1908.06
Reposted on: 1.10.09 1909.26

    Originally posted by ekedolphin
    Complete and utter cheese. I'm convinced that WWE, although pushing Orton as a babyface, is trying to get us to hate him in a real Rocky Maivia sort of way. The grinning, slapping hands with fans, all-American babyface who gets overpushed and who we can't stand. Then they turn him heel and give him a cutting-edge persona, making him the heel whom we want to cheer. Then after awhile he turns face again and stays that way for a long time.

    Basically, I think it's an attempt at catching lightning in a bottle for a second time. And I'm not convinced that it'll work with Randy Orton. Then again, whoever thought that Rocky Maivia would end up as an eight-time World Heavyweight Champion?





Which means, Randy Orton is the Dan Spivey of this generation, as Vince is trying to recreate Flex much as he spent 10 years trying to recreate Hogan. Unfortunately for Vince, it didn't work last time and it probably won't work this time. But at least by January we'll probably be up to the Cena-Express, so it can get worse.
Mr Heel II
Lap cheong
Level: 80

Posts: 173/1557
EXP: 4718348
For next: 64641

Since: 25.2.02

Since last post: 47 days
Last activity: 43 days
#9 Posted on 1.10.02 1933.34
Reposted on: 1.10.09 1959.03

    Originally posted by deadbeater
    Hey, it is a dig on the NFL taking bits from the production gimmicks of the late unlamented XFL (the starting players introducing themselves, the camera angles, etc).
That never even occured to me, but I bet you're right. I'll bet every ounce of NFL-bashing they did last night was specifically because Vince is pissed about the NFL's borrowing of certain XFL-style production techniques.

Vince, you need yourself a nice big cup of "settle down Beavis".
VK Wallstreet
Goetta
Level: 39

Posts: 234/300
EXP: 395233
For next: 9542

Since: 18.6.02
From: New York, NY, USA

Since last post: 5614 days
Last activity: 5613 days
#10 Posted on 2.10.02 0945.11
Reposted on: 2.10.09 0948.48

    Originally posted by Mr Heel II
    That never even occured to me, but I bet you're right. I'll bet every ounce of NFL-bashing they did last night was specifically because Vince is pissed about the NFL's borrowing of certain XFL-style production techniques.
I hope they do a fantasy dream sequence in the cheerleaders' locker room featuring Rodney Dangerfield in a towel! That would be awesome!
Mr. Boffo
Scrapple
Level: 118

Posts: 260/3844
EXP: 18261706
For next: 121262

Since: 24.3.02
From: Oshkosh, WI

Since last post: 1727 days
Last activity: 1688 days
#11 Posted on 2.10.02 1544.06
Reposted on: 2.10.09 1544.22
Well, WWE isn't going to trick me. If they want Orton to get booed for being Rocky Maivia V.2, then I'm going to cheer him. Your reverse psychology won't work on me, WWE!
Parts Unknown
Lap cheong
Level: 84

Posts: 598/1733
EXP: 5566111
For next: 95865

Since: 2.1.02
From: Darkenwood

Since last post: 206 days
Last activity: 206 days
#12 Posted on 2.10.02 1602.26
Reposted on: 2.10.09 1609.16
Oh man...according to 1Bob...

"It appears that Randy Orton suffered some sort of shoulder injury this past Monday on RAW. He will be having an MRI done to see exactly what's wrong. "
Kawshen
Liverwurst
Level: 72

Posts: 428/1201
EXP: 3211185
For next: 112593

Since: 2.1.02
From: Bronx, NY

Since last post: 3234 days
Last activity: 1494 days
AIM:  
#13 Posted on 2.10.02 1603.36
Reposted on: 2.10.09 1609.16
Then again, whoever thought that Rocky Maivia would end up as an eight-time World Heavyweight Champion?

Nine. 7 WWF, 2 WCW.
Faust
Salami
Level: 33

Posts: 139/204
EXP: 220886
For next: 8296

Since: 27.7.02

Since last post: 5660 days
Last activity: 5605 days
#14 Posted on 2.10.02 2257.06
Reposted on: 2.10.09 2257.53

    Originally posted by Pool-Boy
    I actually thought it was kind of clever. And whatever they are TRYING to do... at least it is something somewhat new. And they are putting time and money behind a newer face... and on a Raw with HHH, this is amazing indeed!
    Everyone who "hates" this should remember that in a way, they are giving you what you want!



How in the world is this "something new?" Imitating something that worked in '96 is something new?

???

This, although a good idea in and of itself, is another manifestation of WWE relying on things that have already been done in lieu of something new. (RAW vs. Smackdown! fabricated "war" being the best example. We just CAN'T let go of '98 - '00 can we?)

Having said that, I think the Orton-Rocky idea is a good one, and I like it a lot, but I would never call it "new."

Net Hack Slasher
Banger
Level: 103

Posts: 524/2805
EXP: 11457749
For next: 13696

Since: 6.1.02
From: Outer reaches of your mind

Since last post: 4865 days
Last activity: 3285 days
#15 Posted on 4.10.02 0324.45
Reposted on: 4.10.09 0329.01

    Originally posted by Parts Unknown
    Oh man...according to 1Bob...

    "It appears that Randy Orton suffered some sort of shoulder injury this past Monday on RAW. He will be having an MRI done to see exactly what's wrong. "



Wow it only took a week for the Raw injury jinx to catch Orton.

And deadbeater I also never connected the NFL "borrowing" a few of XFL production gimmicks and Vince in return "borrowed" some of NFL Films promo tactics with the Orton promo. Don't know if it's the case but it does seem like something Vince would do =)
darkdragoon
Bockwurst
Level: 50

Posts: 68/537
EXP: 940844
For next: 6480

Since: 26.8.02

Since last post: 4972 days
Last activity: 4972 days
#16 Posted on 7.10.02 1719.12
Reposted on: 7.10.09 1719.26
If this angle doesn't show you how off JR is, nothing will.
ALL ORIGINAL POSTS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Thread ahead: David Flair
Next thread: Edge/Guerrero vs Edge/Angle: What was better?
Previous thread: WWE Calgary House Show
(9670 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
The 7 - Pro Wrestling - Randy Orton video packageRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board - 7 year recycle

ZimBoard
©2001-2018 Brothers Zim
This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.432 seconds.