The W
Views: 100778134
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Color chart | Log in for more!
23.11.07 1823
The 7 - Pro Wrestling - Wrestling board/forum around in '97?
This thread has 1 referral leading to it
Register and log in to post!
(1338 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (9 total)
StingArmy
Andouille
Level: 87

Posts: 263/2095
EXP: 6230956
For next: 161843

Since: 3.5.03
From: Georgia bred, you can tell by my Hawk jersey

Since last post: 49 days
Last activity: 23 days
#1 Posted on 5.12.05 1143.30
Reposted on: 5.12.12 1144.08
So I was watching the Montreal Screw Job on WWE 24/7 today when I thought it might be interesting to see what the immediate online reaction was. I was around back then and intently followed all the requisite IWC heads and got their take on the situation, but I wasn't reading any forums or message boards at the time (I prefered to lurk on #wrestling on whatever network it was on back then, probably EFNet). I know The W hasn't been around that long, but were there any other major boards that might have some tasty archives for me to consume?

- StingArmy
Promote this thread!
AWArulz
Knackwurst
Level: 109

Posts: 1422/3408
EXP: 13613628
For next: 346062

Since: 28.1.02
From: Louisville, KY

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 5 hours
AIM:  
Y!:
#2 Posted on 5.12.05 1217.22
Reposted on: 5.12.12 1217.41
    Originally posted by StingArmy
    So I was watching the Montreal Screw Job on WWE 24/7 today when I thought it might be interesting to see what the immediate online reaction was. I was around back then and intently followed all the requisite IWC heads and got their take on the situation, but I wasn't reading any forums or message boards at the time (I prefered to lurk on #wrestling on whatever network it was on back then, probably EFNet). I know The W hasn't been around that long, but were there any other major boards that might have some tasty archives for me to consume?

    - StingArmy


I can't recall anyone who had forums other than Usenet (Rec-Sport-ProWrestling and maybe an EZ board - did Scoops have one of those that far back? CRZ's hadn't started then, had it?

CRZ
Big Brother
Administrator
Level: 214

Posts: 7112/16361
EXP: 143959038
For next: 1766382

Since: 9.12.01
From: ミネアポリス

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 15 hours
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#3 Posted on 5.12.05 1234.58
Reposted on: 5.12.12 1236.25
    Originally posted by AWArulz
      Originally posted by StingArmy
      So I was watching the Montreal Screw Job on WWE 24/7 today when I thought it might be interesting to see what the immediate online reaction was. I was around back then and intently followed all the requisite IWC heads and got their take on the situation, but I wasn't reading any forums or message boards at the time (I prefered to lurk on #wrestling on whatever network it was on back then, probably EFNet). I know The W hasn't been around that long, but were there any other major boards that might have some tasty archives for me to consume?

      - StingArmy


    I can't recall anyone who had forums other than Usenet (Rec-Sport-ProWrestling and maybe an EZ board - did Scoops have one of those that far back? CRZ's hadn't started then, had it?


I was blissfully in retirement.

From the rspw.org archives, here's reports by Rick (rspw.org), Herb (rspw.org) and John (rspw.org).

There MAY be a Delphi board or two dating back that far, but I don't know how long they keep their own articles...really, going to Google Groups and looking around r.s.p-w is probably your best bet.
spf
Scrapple
Level: 133

Posts: 3388/5404
EXP: 27257632
For next: 595108

Since: 2.1.02
From: The Las Vegas of Canada

Since last post: 21 days
Last activity: 4 hours
AIM:  
#4 Posted on 5.12.05 1437.51
Reposted on: 5.12.12 1441.14
Only one "man" can properly sum up the events of Montreal. Someone who has enough Bret Hart hatred to truly get to the heart of the Screwjob...

Sean Shannon's take on Montreal from 11/11/97 (web.archive.org)
Deputy Marshall
Liverwurst
Level: 66

Posts: 442/1148
EXP: 2397994
For next: 63870

Since: 28.6.04
From: Troy, NY

Since last post: 38 days
Last activity: 26 days
#5 Posted on 5.12.05 1453.17
Reposted on: 5.12.12 1455.57
Holy crap, THERE'S a name I haven't seen in awhile. I wouldn't say I agree with it, but if anything it's an interesting read/take on the situation. This, however, just stopped me dead in my tracks...

    Originally posted by Shannon
    While such goings-on are usually a speculative finger-painting kit for people to distort however they like, there are some stories that have been wholly confirmed. Notably, Bret convincing Vince McMahon to fire Cloudy for no reason other than that Bret didn't like him/her


...and made me laugh out loud at my desk. That sneaky bastard got Cloudy fired! I don't know if there's any truth to that at all, but regardless, I found it funny for some reason.
Tribal Prophet
Andouille
Level: 88

Posts: 1211/2057
EXP: 6396507
For next: 254183

Since: 9.1.02
From: Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Since last post: 5 days
Last activity: 4 days
#6 Posted on 5.12.05 1640.24
Reposted on: 5.12.12 1641.48
    Originally posted by Deputy Marshall
    Holy crap, THERE'S a name I haven't seen in awhile. I wouldn't say I agree with it, but if anything it's an interesting read/take on the situation. This, however, just stopped me dead in my tracks...

      Originally posted by Shannon
      While such goings-on are usually a speculative finger-painting kit for people to distort however they like, there are some stories that have been wholly confirmed. Notably, Bret convincing Vince McMahon to fire Cloudy for no reason other than that Bret didn't like him/her


    ...and made me laugh out loud at my desk. That sneaky bastard got Cloudy fired! I don't know if there's any truth to that at all, but regardless, I found it funny for some reason.


I remember after Shannon made that comment, most people's reactions were "The WWF really needs someone like Bret Hart to speak up more often".

Goddamn, that Cloudy bullshit was bullshit. That was worse than any dancing Thanksgiving turkey could ever be. Although not as bad as Katie Vick.

You know what? The WWE really needs someone like Bret Hart to speak up more often.


Tribal Prophet
CRZ
Big Brother
Administrator
Level: 214

Posts: 7114/16361
EXP: 143959038
For next: 1766382

Since: 9.12.01
From: ミネアポリス

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 15 hours
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#7 Posted on 5.12.05 1716.19
Reposted on: 5.12.12 1716.56
    Originally posted by Shannon
    While such goings-on are usually a speculative finger-painting kit for people to distort however they like, there are some stories that have been wholly confirmed. Notably, Bret convincing Vince McMahon to fire Cloudy for no reason other than that Bret didn't like him/her
I think... now that we are blessed with the benefit of hindsight, we can all see why Sean may felt a certain... sympathetic affinity for Cloudy which may have transcended his run-of-the-mill Bret Hart hatred.
KJames199
Scrapple
Moderator
Level: 115

Posts: 146/3878
EXP: 16611309
For next: 200106

Since: 10.12.01
From: #yqr

Since last post: 4 days
Last activity: 8 min.
#8 Posted on 5.12.05 1809.42
Reposted on: 5.12.12 1811.14
    Originally posted by CRZ
    I think... now that we are blessed with the benefit of hindsight, we can all see why Sean may felt a certain... sympathetic affinity for Cloudy which may have transcended his run-of-the-mill Bret Hart hatred.


Indeed. TRANScended.
Skywalker
Braunschweiger
Level: 9

Posts: 12/13
EXP: 2925
For next: 237

Since: 26.3.04
From: Houston

Since last post: 3272 days
Last activity: 3231 days
#9 Posted on 7.12.05 2042.53
Reposted on: 7.12.12 2043.15
"Off the Top Rope"

OTTR - might have been up at that time.

I discovered it around 98/99, but it had a good depth of archives at the forum by then, and consequently my guess is that it might have been around.

If someone can get in contact w/ Mike B, who used to run the site, it might be a worthwhile pursuit.



ALL ORIGINAL POSTS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Thread ahead: Shelton's New Gimmick... God help us all....
Next thread: RAW #654 12/5/05
Previous thread: DDP sues Jay-Z
(1338 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
The 7 - Pro Wrestling - Wrestling board/forum around in '97?Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board - 7 year recycle

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim
This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.273 seconds.