The W
Views: 99019340
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Color chart | Log in for more!
18.9.07 2106
The 7 - Pro Wrestling - Tentative line-up for the Bret Hart DVD due out this year
This thread has 12 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Pages: Prev 1 2(1518 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (33 total)
Spank E
Kolbasz
Level: 47

Posts: 167/487
EXP: 732255
For next: 33954

Since: 2.1.02
From: Bournemouth, UK

Since last post: 91 days
Last activity: 17 hours
#21 Posted on 23.8.05 1820.31
Reposted on: 23.8.12 1821.25
So, they're putting the Isaac Yankem match from SSlam'95 on, but omitting the Owen cage match from SSlam '94? Are they on acid or something?
ekedolphin
Scrapple
Level: 132

Posts: 2673/5387
EXP: 26911653
For next: 220351

Since: 12.1.02
From: Indianapolis, IN; now residing in Suffolk, VA

Since last post: 92 days
Last activity: 2 days
#22 Posted on 23.8.05 1917.10
Reposted on: 23.8.12 1919.18
Looks like a good set, and I'll almost definitely be getting it, but I'm surprised that few people have really discussed the darker side of the introductory post. If Bret didn't play ball with WWE, and help with the DVD, WWE (it's speculated) was going to come out with the DVD anyway-- but use it to trash Bret. While I'm not questioning WWE's legal right to their own (and WCW's) video footage, I think that move would have been completely uncalled for.

I know, you haven't heard me complain about the Self-Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior DVD, but that's comparing apples and oranges. Everyone knows Warrior's nuts, and he only had one brilliant match in his entire career, and a heavily choreographed match at that. Bret was one of the all-time greats of the ring, and while he's made some questionable decisions, he's not nuts. And unlike Warrior, Bret didn't screw the WWF-- the WWF screwed Bret.

So Bret's helping with the DVD, he's got veto power over its content, and no doubt he'll make a lot of money from it, but does this strike anybody else as a form of blackmail? When WWE decides to come out with a DVD for "Macho Man" Randy Savage, and you know it'll happen eventually, what then? That question will be even more important if Hulk Hogan's still affiliated with WWE when it's time to cross that particular bridge.
Freeway
Scrapple
Level: 110

Posts: 2994/3504
EXP: 14130236
For next: 278696

Since: 3.1.02
From: Calgary

Since last post: 270 days
Last activity: 10 days
#23 Posted on 23.8.05 1939.31
Reposted on: 23.8.12 1940.13
    Originally posted by Spank E
    So, they're putting the Isaac Yankem match from SSlam'95 on, but omitting the Owen cage match from SSlam '94? Are they on acid or something?


1) The SummerSlam Cage Match is on the Bloodbath Cages DVD
2) The WrestleMania X Match is better.
Hogan's My Dad
Andouille
Level: 87

Posts: 1416/2081
EXP: 6357607
For next: 35192

Since: 8.6.02
From: Canada

Since last post: 17 days
Last activity: 17 days
#24 Posted on 23.8.05 2133.35
Reposted on: 23.8.12 2134.51
    Originally posted by ekedolphin
    When WWE decides to come out with a DVD for "Macho Man" Randy Savage, and you know it'll happen eventually, what then? That question will be even more important if Hulk Hogan's still affiliated with WWE when it's time to cross that particular bridge.


Hogan isn't going to blackball Savage. First of all, he is never going to be back for a protracted period of more than a few scattered appearances, so they could just have Savage there when he's not.

I'd eat a Savage set, digest it, expel it, and eat it again, by the way.
The Vile1
Lap cheong
Level: 80

Posts: 1075/1694
EXP: 4623248
For next: 159741

Since: 4.9.02
From: California

Since last post: 1978 days
Last activity: 1710 days
#25 Posted on 23.8.05 2235.55
Reposted on: 23.8.12 2235.56
    Originally posted by Spank E
    So, they're putting the Isaac Yankem match from SSlam'95 on, but omitting the Owen cage match from SSlam '94? Are they on acid or something?


Well like Freeway420 said, that match was collected on another WWE DVD set. Plus, the list has the WM X match, and another match between Owen and Bret in September of 1994 which is apparently Bret's favorite match between the 2.

Don't know anything about that at all though .
Pizza Delivery Jones
Chourico
Level: 36

Posts: 120/282
EXP: 289425
For next: 18688

Since: 27.6.04

Since last post: 830 days
Last activity: 759 days
#26 Posted on 24.8.05 0424.10
Reposted on: 24.8.12 0426.02
I don't care enough about Bret to buy this DVD, unless it's got a ton of footage of his feud with Owen, as well as the Hart Foundation 97. Of course, if they loaded it with Stampede footage of Bret getting punked by Bad News Allan and Dynamite Kid, I'd be first in line to pick it up...
JimBob Skeeter
Bratwurst
Level: 75

Posts: 151/1438
EXP: 3715379
For next: 111542

Since: 2.1.02
From: MN

Since last post: 11 hours
Last activity: 5 hours
#27 Posted on 24.8.05 1314.26
Reposted on: 24.8.12 1318.56
I can't believe they don't have his match against the Mountie where Bret got electrocuted. For shame. ;-)



This DVD will be mine. Oh, yes, it will be mine.
meaty_buys
Haggis
Level: 17

Posts: 29/52
EXP: 21764
For next: 2979

Since: 29.6.05

Since last post: 3145 days
Last activity: 3121 days
#28 Posted on 25.8.05 1023.03
Reposted on: 25.8.12 1027.13
In Meltzer's mailbag today, there's some talk of the much rumored release of Bret hart vs. Tom Magee from 1988, but apparently Dave shoots down the possibility of its inclusion on the DVD. Dave did suggested the match be on there to his contacts in WWE, but likely will never be released due to political reasons (this was the match where Patterson and Vince got swerved). The Tom Magee match is probably Bret's second most controversial match ever, and yet few people know of it. I wish there was some sort of way we can get together and email WWE with a shitload of requests, demanding the match be on the DVD. We've all pretty much seen the matches listed, the Tom Magee match would totally make this the perfect Hart collection.

Read about it straight from Meltzer here:
http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/news/features/default.asp?aID=14061

(edited by meaty_buys on 25.8.05 1025)
The Vile1
Lap cheong
Level: 80

Posts: 1077/1694
EXP: 4623248
For next: 159741

Since: 4.9.02
From: California

Since last post: 1978 days
Last activity: 1710 days
#29 Posted on 28.8.05 1437.59
Reposted on: 28.8.12 1438.54
From SI.com, Arash Marzaki picks Bret's 6 best matches:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/arash_markazi/08/26/hot.read/1.html


    In honor of the surprising return of Bret "The Hitman" Hart to the WWE, our weekly six pack gives us the Top Six Most Memorable Bret Hart Matches.

    6. Hart v. Davey Boy Smith, Summerslam 1992 -- Hart loses the Intercontinental title for the last time but gives the 80,000 fans in attendance at London's Wembley Stadium one of the best matches in Summerslam history as he carries his late brother-in-law to the best match of his career.

    5. Hart v. Ric Flair, October 1992 -- Not really "memorable" since it wasn't televised live, but on this night in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, Hart forced "The Nature Boy" to submit to the Sharpshooter and won the first of his five WWE Championships.

    4. Hart v. Owen Hart, Wrestlemania X -- These two squared off on countless occasions in the legendary "Dungeon" underneath their family's Calgary home. On wrestling's grandest stage the Hart brothers put on the greatest pure wrestling match in history, complete with more holds, moves and counters than any Olympic battle. Although the late Owen Hart won the match, Bret would win the WWE title later that night by defeating Yokozuna.

    3. Hart v. Shawn Michaels, Wrestlemania XII -- The 60-minute Iron Man Match actually went on for more than an hour and is considered by many to be the best match in wrestling history simply for the amount of energy exerted by both competitors. Michael would end up winning his first WWE title that night and begin a historic career of his own.

    2. Hart v. Steve Austin, Wrestlemania 13 -- Another match where Hart helped establish someone else's career, although he won this time. After a grueling 30-minute match, Hart locked a bloody Austin in the Sharpshooter, causing "Stone Cold" to pass out and lose. Hart would go on to beat up Austin, making him a "heel" and turning Austin into the company's biggest "baby face."

    1. Hart v. Shawn Michaels, Survivor Series 1997 -- Referred to as "The Montreal Incident," it is easily the most famous, if not controversial, match in professional wrestling history. Late in the match Michaels put Hart in his own finishing move, The Sharpshooter, and the referee, Earl Hebner, quickly called for the bell unbeknownst to Hart, who was told he would not drop the title that night. The incident was chronicled in a documentary and a through story written by my main man Dave Meltzer.



Really wouldn't put Survivor Series 97 as #1 on there.

(edited by The Vile1 on 28.8.05 1239)
thecubsfan
Scrapple
Moderator
Level: 130

Posts: 1414/5170
EXP: 25390518
For next: 340128

Since: 10.12.01
From: Aurora, IL

Since last post: 7 days
Last activity: 1 day
#30 Posted on 28.8.05 1657.54
Reposted on: 28.8.12 1658.26

    [the Iron Man match] is considered by many to be the best match in wrestling history


Beware of these people! They must be on massive amounts of drugs to believe such a thing.

His list says memorable, which is different enough from great that it might be right.
Monte
Mettwurst
Level: 29

Posts: 96/172
EXP: 146071
For next: 1815

Since: 27.3.03
From: Montauk, New York

Since last post: 1647 days
Last activity: 1645 days
AIM:  
#31 Posted on 28.8.05 1936.42
Reposted on: 28.8.12 1936.58
Hart v. Steve Austin, Wrestlemania 13...

'nuff said.


Unbelievable match that has to go down as one of the top five of all time. A truly incredible showing from both guys in the midst of their prime.
waffleking
Pickled pork
Level: 31

Posts: 155/185
EXP: 166328
For next: 19037

Since: 2.10.02
From: Missouri

Since last post: 2793 days
Last activity: 482 days
#32 Posted on 28.8.05 1942.05
Reposted on: 28.8.12 1942.07
    Originally posted by The Vile1
    From SI.com, Arash Marzaki picks Bret's 6 best matches:

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/arash_markazi/08/26/hot.read/1.html


      In honor of the surprising return of Bret "The Hitman" Hart to the WWE, our weekly six pack gives us the Top Six Most Memorable Bret Hart Matches.

      6. Hart v. Davey Boy Smith, Summerslam 1992 -- Hart loses the Intercontinental title for the last time but gives the 80,000 fans in attendance at London's Wembley Stadium one of the best matches in Summerslam history as he carries his late brother-in-law to the best match of his career.

      5. Hart v. Ric Flair, October 1992 -- Not really "memorable" since it wasn't televised live, but on this night in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, Hart forced "The Nature Boy" to submit to the Sharpshooter and won the first of his five WWE Championships.

      4. Hart v. Owen Hart, Wrestlemania X -- These two squared off on countless occasions in the legendary "Dungeon" underneath their family's Calgary home. On wrestling's grandest stage the Hart brothers put on the greatest pure wrestling match in history, complete with more holds, moves and counters than any Olympic battle. Although the late Owen Hart won the match, Bret would win the WWE title later that night by defeating Yokozuna.

      3. Hart v. Shawn Michaels, Wrestlemania XII -- The 60-minute Iron Man Match actually went on for more than an hour and is considered by many to be the best match in wrestling history simply for the amount of energy exerted by both competitors. Michael would end up winning his first WWE title that night and begin a historic career of his own.

      2. Hart v. Steve Austin, Wrestlemania 13 -- Another match where Hart helped establish someone else's career, although he won this time. After a grueling 30-minute match, Hart locked a bloody Austin in the Sharpshooter, causing "Stone Cold" to pass out and lose. Hart would go on to beat up Austin, making him a "heel" and turning Austin into the company's biggest "baby face."

      1. Hart v. Shawn Michaels, Survivor Series 1997 -- Referred to as "The Montreal Incident," it is easily the most famous, if not controversial, match in professional wrestling history. Late in the match Michaels put Hart in his own finishing move, The Sharpshooter, and the referee, Earl Hebner, quickly called for the bell unbeknownst to Hart, who was told he would not drop the title that night. The incident was chronicled in a documentary and a through story written by my main man Dave Meltzer.



    Really wouldn't put Survivor Series 97 as #1 on there.

    (edited by The Vile1 on 28.8.05 1239)


It wasn't a list of Bret's best matches. It was a list of Bret's most memorable matches.
The Vile1
Lap cheong
Level: 80

Posts: 1078/1694
EXP: 4623248
For next: 159741

Since: 4.9.02
From: California

Since last post: 1978 days
Last activity: 1710 days
#33 Posted on 28.8.05 2023.57
Reposted on: 28.8.12 2025.54
I think Bret's had more memorable matches really.

I don't find very much memorable about the other than the screw-job. Which I guess kind of puts it over as such.
ALL ORIGINAL POSTS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Pages: Prev 1 2Thread ahead: Y2J to TNA?
Next thread: YES! DEATH VALLEY DRIVER VIDEO REVIEW #151!
Previous thread: The Ross Report returns to WWE.com
(1518 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Related threads: Sunny coming back to WWE? - Are steroids still as wide spread in pro wrestling as they were in the 80s? - Road Warriors DVD - More...
The 7 - Pro Wrestling - Tentative line-up for the Bret Hart DVD due out this yearRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board - 7 year recycle

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim
This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.33 seconds.