The W
Views: 99939958
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Color chart | Log in for more!
23.10.07 0058
The 7 - Baseball - The Tribe is rolling Register and log in to post!
(316 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (8 total)
whatever
Lap cheong
Level: 81

Posts: 633/1738
EXP: 4933165
For next: 59705

Since: 12.2.02
From: Cleveland, Ohio

Since last post: 14 days
Last activity: 7 hours
#1 Posted on 20.6.05 1121.06
Reposted on: 20.6.12 1121.30
Win streak is at 9 and counting. Unfortunately, the White Sox are still playing out of their minds, so in winning 9 in a row, the tribe has only gained 2 games on them. The heartening thing is that at least now they're in the thick of the Wild-Card race.

But let's face it, although the NL West is not that great they at least won the games they should have. The Red Sox and Orioles are going to be a tough test over the next two weeks, so we'll see how the standings look then.
Promote this thread!
It's False
Scrapple
Level: 138

Posts: 1361/6025
EXP: 31397446
For next: 265614

Since: 20.6.02
From: I am the Tag Team Champions!

Since last post: 8 days
Last activity: 8 hours
#2 Posted on 20.6.05 1339.36
Reposted on: 20.6.12 1345.34
It's looking a lot more like this year could bring about the unthinkable. If the Indians scoop up this year's wild card, then that means the Yankees, Red Sox, and Twins all stand to miss the postseason. Who'd have thunk it?
redsoxnation
Scrapple
Level: 152

Posts: 4701/7534
EXP: 43738874
For next: 562888

Since: 24.7.02

Since last post: 479 days
Last activity: 479 days
#3 Posted on 20.6.05 1517.17
Reposted on: 20.6.12 1519.16
    Originally posted by It's False
    It's looking a lot more like this year could bring about the unthinkable. If the Indians scoop up this year's wild card, then that means the Yankees, Red Sox, and Twins all stand to miss the postseason. Who'd have thunk it?







Despite the way the season has gone so far, at least two out of three of the Yankees, Red Sox and Twins will be in the playoffs. The Yankees should go into Baltimore next week on a 13 game, or at worst 12 out of 13 games, winning streak after disposing of Tampa and the Metropolitans this week. Boston's starting pitching has come around in the past 10 days, and Foulke has straightened himself out. Baltimore should have put Boston and New York in the grave when they had a chance, instead they let them hang around.
As for the Twins, if Radke and Santana aren't hot, they won't be going anyplace. However, I need to see the White Sox not pull a disappearing act in August and September.
I still think 92-93 wins are going to be necessary for the Wild Card. Twins have been around a 90 on their good seasons, Cleveland could get top out at 87, and I don't respect Texas. That means loser of the A.L. East is getting Wild Card, and that should come out of the Boston/New York series the last weekend of the season.
Nag
Landjager
Level: 61

Posts: 782/904
EXP: 1783106
For next: 93501

Since: 10.1.03
From: Enter your city here

Since last post: 2177 days
Last activity: 232 days
Y!:
#4 Posted on 22.6.05 1107.46
Reposted on: 22.6.12 1107.56
I was going to post the other day saying how it's a special moment in this club's history, that it has both its pitching and hitting producing over an extended period of time. After watching Millwood and CC blow up the last two nights, I'm glad I didn't.

I think you cursed them!!!
whatever
Lap cheong
Level: 81

Posts: 638/1738
EXP: 4933165
For next: 59705

Since: 12.2.02
From: Cleveland, Ohio

Since last post: 14 days
Last activity: 7 hours
#5 Posted on 22.6.05 1142.03
Reposted on: 22.6.12 1142.36
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing.

Nothing like watching the starting pitching go *thbbbbbbbt* the last two days. At least it's to Boston, though.
BigSteve
Pepperoni
Level: 64

Posts: 569/1091
EXP: 2204742
For next: 9367

Since: 23.7.04
From: Baltimore, MD

Since last post: 2841 days
Last activity: 2569 days
#6 Posted on 22.6.05 1256.54
Reposted on: 22.6.12 1257.22
    Originally posted by redsoxnation
    Despite the way the season has gone so far, at least two out of three of the Yankees, Red Sox and Twins will be in the playoffs. The Yankees should go into Baltimore next week on a 13 game, or at worst 12 out of 13 games, winning streak after disposing of Tampa and the Metropolitans this week. Boston's starting pitching has come around in the past 10 days, and Foulke has straightened himself out. Baltimore should have put Boston and New York in the grave when they had a chance, instead they let them hang around.
    As for the Twins, if Radke and Santana aren't hot, they won't be going anyplace. However, I need to see the White Sox not pull a disappearing act in August and September.
    I still think 92-93 wins are going to be necessary for the Wild Card. Twins have been around a 90 on their good seasons, Cleveland could get top out at 87, and I don't respect Texas. That means loser of the A.L. East is getting Wild Card, and that should come out of the Boston/New York series the last weekend of the season.


Come on, RSN, why do you have to hate on the Orioles :-)? Check this out:
Orioles (vs. BOS and NYY) 9-5
Yankees (vs. BOS and BAL) 5-10
Red Sox (vs. BAL and NYY) 9-8

I know, it's stil early but that's a pretty good indicator of how the rest of the season is going to, in my opinion (or perhaps a good case of wishful thinking). Unless the O's continue to get hit with the injury plague like they have the last couple of weeks, I can't see any reason why they'll slow down. I figure that the Sox (Red and White) will be in the playoffs as well as the O's and Angels. The Twins are already fading, and I guarantee that the inconsistent Yankees won't make the playoffs. The Rangers don't have nearly enough pitching to make a serious run.
redsoxnation
Scrapple
Level: 152

Posts: 4707/7534
EXP: 43738874
For next: 562888

Since: 24.7.02

Since last post: 479 days
Last activity: 479 days
#7 Posted on 22.6.05 2154.57
Reposted on: 22.6.12 2155.29
    Originally posted by BigSteve
      Originally posted by redsoxnation
      Despite the way the season has gone so far, at least two out of three of the Yankees, Red Sox and Twins will be in the playoffs. The Yankees should go into Baltimore next week on a 13 game, or at worst 12 out of 13 games, winning streak after disposing of Tampa and the Metropolitans this week. Boston's starting pitching has come around in the past 10 days, and Foulke has straightened himself out. Baltimore should have put Boston and New York in the grave when they had a chance, instead they let them hang around.
      As for the Twins, if Radke and Santana aren't hot, they won't be going anyplace. However, I need to see the White Sox not pull a disappearing act in August and September.
      I still think 92-93 wins are going to be necessary for the Wild Card. Twins have been around a 90 on their good seasons, Cleveland could get top out at 87, and I don't respect Texas. That means loser of the A.L. East is getting Wild Card, and that should come out of the Boston/New York series the last weekend of the season.


    Come on, RSN, why do you have to hate on the Orioles :-)? Check this out:
    Orioles (vs. BOS and NYY) 9-5
    Yankees (vs. BOS and BAL) 5-10
    Red Sox (vs. BAL and NYY) 9-8

    I know, it's stil early but that's a pretty good indicator of how the rest of the season is going to, in my opinion (or perhaps a good case of wishful thinking). Unless the O's continue to get hit with the injury plague like they have the last couple of weeks, I can't see any reason why they'll slow down. I figure that the Sox (Red and White) will be in the playoffs as well as the O's and Angels. The Twins are already fading, and I guarantee that the inconsistent Yankees won't make the playoffs. The Rangers don't have nearly enough pitching to make a serious run.







I was too young in the 70's to develop a hatred for Baltimore then, and ever since '80 either Boston or Baltimore has been bad except for maybe once in twenty five years, so I have no real antagonism towards them. Usually, I root for them when Boston is bad due to dislike for New York and Toronto. However, Bruce Chen taking the ball every 5th day does help lend doubt to the Orioles. And I don't really think very highly of Ponson. The day Ryan gave up the walk-off to Ortiz was the day the Orioles missed the chance to put their foot on Boston's throat. Well, that and losing 2 out of 3 to the Reds while Boston was struggling on the road. Instead of leaving Boston 5 up (and, realistically, the should have been 8 or 9 up on Boston in mid June) and having the Red Sox in a freefall, they left 3 up and the Red Sox were able to begin to steady the ship. I think the Orioles could get high 80's, and they have one of the three position players in the A.L. that could put a team on his back in August or September in Tejada (Vlad and Ortiz are the other 2). Also, Baltimore is hampered in only having 1 series at Fenway where they play well, while two against Boston at Camden, where Boston plays well.
I won't write off the Yankees because every time I do, they play well, and every time I credit them, they go in the tank. Yankees are a solid team who should continue to play Tampa and KC.
And, why I still think the Twins can overtake the White Sox: White Sox have a nice lead now. But, let me throw this scenario out there. White Sox comfortably ahead 8 going into August. Nice 5 game lead with Hawk Harrelson making World Series plans going into September. Lead down to 1.5 games mid-September and Dustin Hermannson (who helped the Astros and Dodgers make the playoffs while closing for the Giants last season) coming into a 1 run game. I need to see the White Sox playing for their lives before I believe in them. Plus, Captain Carl Everett is due to throw a nutty at some point.

(edited by redsoxnation on 22.6.05 2256)
spf
Scrapple
Level: 133

Posts: 3214/5403
EXP: 27157974
For next: 694766

Since: 2.1.02
From: The Las Vegas of Canada

Since last post: 10 days
Last activity: 2 days
AIM:  
#8 Posted on 23.6.05 0023.01
Reposted on: 23.6.12 0024.21
    Originally posted by redsoxnation
    And, why I still think the Twins can overtake the White Sox: White Sox have a nice lead now. But, let me throw this scenario out there. White Sox comfortably ahead 8 going into August. Nice 5 game lead with Hawk Harrelson making World Series plans going into September. Lead down to 1.5 games mid-September and Dustin Hermannson (who helped the Astros and Dodgers make the playoffs while closing for the Giants last season) coming into a 1 run game. I need to see the White Sox playing for their lives before I believe in them. Plus, Captain Carl Everett is due to throw a nutty at some point.

Okay, I guess I need to pop in now

1. Carl is a role player for this team. He pops a nutty we bench him/waive him/put him on a leaky boat in the middle of Lake Michigan. He's just the guy who gives Thomas or Dye or Rowand or Podsednik a rest day at this point.

2. It's going to be tough for them to go into the sort of slump needed for any of the AL Central teams to catch up just due to the pitching they have. With Buehrle, Garcia and Garland, even if the Cubans get injured/inconsistent, those are three solid pitchers who can end bad runs. And the offense is balanced and able to produce in enough ways to keep from those horrible runs of 1 and 2 run games. They have the power to keep teams off balance, but they also have speed and situational hitting unlike previous years. And...

3. These aren't the same Twins. At some point you can only plug in people so many times before not every single one of them is a miracle worker. Trust me, as a Sox fan I live in mortal dread usually of the Twins, but watching this team, I don't feel like they have what is needed to make a gigantic run, which is what it will take most likely. If the Sox just play .500 the rest of the way, they'll be at 94 wins, which would make the Twins have to play something like .575 or better.
ALL ORIGINAL POSTS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Thread ahead: Yankees 20, Devil Rays 11
Next thread: Baylor/Tulane
Previous thread: Minor League Game To Be Played on X-Box
(316 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Related threads: Yankees Get Killed - Hey, the Yankees need a quality outfielder! - Grover to manage Indians? - More...
The 7 - Baseball - The Tribe is rollingRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board - 7 year recycle

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim
This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.189 seconds.