The W
Views: 106138548
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Color chart | Log in for more!
3.8.08 0401
The 7 - the-w.com Site Feedback - AIM status added to post/profile display Register and log in to post!
(279 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (14 total)
CRZ
Big Brother
Administrator
Level: 217

Posts: 6365/16594
EXP: 150915215
For next: 2052022

Since: 9.12.01
From: ミネアポリス

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 2 hours
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#1 Posted on 15.6.05 2348.19
Reposted on: 15.6.12 2348.49
Why not? I figured out how to show it, so now you're subjected to it. Those of you who have incorrect AIM screen names (or ICQ numbers, for that matter) best head over to the ol' edit profile (The W) page and change/delete accordingly. Unlike the ICQ status which knows whether you're on, off, or away, the AIM status is either connected or no - so "away" is still "connected." Probably. As always, any unusuality should be reported and we'll investigate.

The next logical question is: should we also encumber these pages any more with Yahoo! Messenger statusssses? Are there any other ways you can be reached that you think we should include in user profiles? Have we done too much already? Yes? Yes.

Anyway, it shouldn't take up any more space than the ol' useless ICQ status was the way it's set up now, so I hope it's only good for everybody...except of course for those poor dialup people, who have to load another 1003 byte graphic or two.
Promote this thread!
Jaguar
Knackwurst
Level: 108

Posts: 2874/3273
EXP: 13160088
For next: 360455

Since: 23.1.02
From: Phoenix, AZ

Since last post: 482 days
Last activity: 283 days
#2 Posted on 16.6.05 0203.13
Reposted on: 16.6.12 0203.48
So if the Icon shows up that means you're connected, right? If you weren't connected then I wouldn't see anything?

-Jag

Edit: Aha, looking at my own post I see the difference.

(edited by Jaguar on 16.6.05 0303)
Deputy Marshall
Liverwurst
Level: 67

Posts: 240/1148
EXP: 2476325
For next: 116561

Since: 28.6.04
From: Troy, NY

Since last post: 291 days
Last activity: 75 days
#3 Posted on 17.6.05 0259.20
Reposted on: 17.6.12 0300.30
    Originally posted by CRZ
    The next logical question is: should we also encumber these pages any more with Yahoo! Messenger statusssses? Are there any other ways you can be reached that you think we should include in user profiles? Have we done too much already? Yes? Yes.

    Anyway, it shouldn't take up any more space than the ol' useless ICQ status was the way it's set up now, so I hope it's only good for everybody...except of course for those poor dialup people, who have to load another 1003 byte graphic or two.


Maybe throw Yahoo and MSN on there as well. Why not?
tarnish
Landjager
Level: 61

Posts: 537/862
EXP: 1774962
For next: 101645

Since: 13.2.02
From: Back in the Heart of Hali

Since last post: 54 days
Last activity: 1 day
AIM:  
Y!:
#4 Posted on 17.6.05 0829.42
Reposted on: 17.6.12 0830.34

My IM client does Yahoo, ICQ, AIM, MSN, Jabber, and IRC (as well as RSS and LiveJournal feeds).

I know that in the last 6 months or so, though, I've gone from a roughly even mix of Yahoo, ICQ, AIM, and MSN to close to 90% MSN. This might reflect more some shifts in who I'm talking to, but I suspect many new IM users are going straight to MSN. It doesn't really matter to me, as they all look the same in my text-based client but it bears mentioning.

I am also a Skype user and while I would be seriously reticent to post my Skype ID to my profile (unless I created another one solely for the purpose of semi-public posting), it might be something to think about.
DrOp
Frankfurter
Level: 61

Posts: 804/859
EXP: 1773236
For next: 103371

Since: 2.1.02

Since last post: 2518 days
Last activity: 1385 days
#5 Posted on 17.6.05 1906.49
Reposted on: 17.6.12 1918.43
I second adding Yahoo and MSN.


ON now!!
evilwaldo
Lap cheong
Level: 79

Posts: 1596/1597
EXP: 4478710
For next: 100777

Since: 7.2.02
From: New York, NY

Since last post: 3691 days
Last activity: 3472 days
AIM:  
#6 Posted on 17.6.05 2250.12
Reposted on: 17.6.12 2252.14
    Originally posted by tarnish

    My IM client does Yahoo, ICQ, AIM, MSN, Jabber, and IRC (as well as RSS and LiveJournal feeds).

    I know that in the last 6 months or so, though, I've gone from a roughly even mix of Yahoo, ICQ, AIM, and MSN to close to 90% MSN. This might reflect more some shifts in who I'm talking to, but I suspect many new IM users are going straight to MSN. It doesn't really matter to me, as they all look the same in my text-based client but it bears mentioning.

    I am also a Skype user and while I would be seriously reticent to post my Skype ID to my profile (unless I created another one solely for the purpose of semi-public posting), it might be something to think about.



I second Skype.

Everybody should get Skype and talk to people with funny accents.
CRZ
Big Brother
Administrator
Level: 217

Posts: 6385/16594
EXP: 150915215
For next: 2052022

Since: 9.12.01
From: ミネアポリス

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 2 hours
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#7 Posted on 20.6.05 1215.18
Reposted on: 20.6.12 1216.02
Update: I'll probably add Yahoo! this week.

MSN doesn't have an "easy" way to determine whether you're online or not (THANKS, MICRO$OFT), so graphics for them are out at the moment. Knowing that, would you still be interested in having the option to put your MSN screen name out there in your profile? My current inclination is to NOT add it since I can't do anything fun with it, but if it's getting used as much as tarnish says it is....

Yes, the reason I'm suddenly interested in all these other IM protocols is because I've installed http://www.adiumx.com/ (Adium X) on my laptop, thanks for asking. ;-)
DrOp
Frankfurter
Level: 61

Posts: 806/859
EXP: 1773236
For next: 103371

Since: 2.1.02

Since last post: 2518 days
Last activity: 1385 days
#8 Posted on 20.6.05 1407.34
Reposted on: 20.6.12 1408.07
Hmm, Trillian for Macs. Interesting. Hopefully it won't have the limitations like Trillian does.
drjayphd
Scrapple
Moderator
Level: 117

Posts: 2461/3956
EXP: 17329190
For next: 518758

Since: 22.4.02
From: Long Island

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 2 days
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#9 Posted on 20.6.05 1411.03
Reposted on: 20.6.12 1411.31
    Originally posted by DrOp
    Hmm, Trillian for Macs. Interesting. Hopefully it won't have the limitations like Trillian does.


You mean like not signing on to ICQ any more?
CRZ
Big Brother
Administrator
Level: 217

Posts: 6415/16594
EXP: 150915215
For next: 2052022

Since: 9.12.01
From: ミネアポリス

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 2 hours
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#10 Posted on 23.6.05 2300.37
Reposted on: 23.6.12 2300.49
Yahoo! is in. Edit your profile now (The W) to add YOURS!
Oliver
Scrapple
Level: 129

Posts: 1353/5007
EXP: 24525078
For next: 524643

Since: 20.6.02

Since last post: 154 days
Last activity: 148 days
#11 Posted on 24.6.05 1811.38
Reposted on: 24.6.12 1814.57
Awesome to see the AIM and Yahoo added, but for some reason, I can't see my status on there; I'm online with Yahoo yet my bio doesn't reflect that. ANy idea on how to fix that?

And yes, I did spell the name correctly.
Mr. Boffo
Scrapple
Level: 115

Posts: 1044/3844
EXP: 16647707
For next: 163708

Since: 24.3.02
From: Oshkosh, WI

Since last post: 735 days
Last activity: 696 days
#12 Posted on 24.6.05 2239.49
Reposted on: 24.6.12 2240.03
    Originally posted by SOK
    Awesome to see the AIM and Yahoo added, but for some reason, I can't see my status on there; I'm online with Yahoo yet my bio doesn't reflect that. ANy idea on how to fix that?

    And yes, I did spell the name correctly.

As I type this, it shows you online with ICQ and Yahoo!, but not AIM.
CRZ
Big Brother
Administrator
Level: 217

Posts: 6423/16594
EXP: 150915215
For next: 2052022

Since: 9.12.01
From: ミネアポリス

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 2 hours
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#13 Posted on 25.6.05 0056.54
Reposted on: 25.6.12 0059.01
    Originally posted by SOK
    Awesome to see the AIM and Yahoo added, but for some reason, I can't see my status on there; I'm online with Yahoo yet my bio doesn't reflect that. ANy idea on how to fix that?

    And yes, I did spell the name correctly.
Maybe you have a caching issue, or maybe there's some sort of invisibility setting you're using with your messenger application, or....?
Oliver
Scrapple
Level: 129

Posts: 1354/5007
EXP: 24525078
For next: 524643

Since: 20.6.02

Since last post: 154 days
Last activity: 148 days
#14 Posted on 25.6.05 0924.44
Reposted on: 25.6.12 0925.26
I'm never on ICQ, and I was on with AIM (although I don't have any contacts on it)...but about thirty minutes after I wrote the message, my Yahoo thing showed up.

I have one of those Online Status things on my website, and for the life of me, I can't get the MSN part to function properly.

-S
ALL ORIGINAL POSTS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Thread ahead: the-w.com topics of interest: June 2005
Next thread: A Jabber server for The W?
Previous thread: Constructive criticism?
(279 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
The 7 - the-w.com Site Feedback - AIM status added to post/profile displayRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board - 7 year recycle

ZimBoard
©2001-2015 Brothers Zim
This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.215 seconds.