The W
Views: 118284745
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Color chart | Log in for more!
3.12.09 0054
The 7 - Sports that aren't Baseball, Football, Basketball, or Hockey - Tyson loses AGAIN...
This thread has 2 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
(320 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (13 total)
rockdotcom_2.0
Frankfurter
Level: 58

Posts: 703/763
EXP: 1554740
For next: 22815

Since: 9.1.02
From: Virginia Beach Va

Since last post: 1353 days
Last activity: 57 days
AIM:  
#1 Posted on 11.6.05 2229.30
Reposted on: 11.6.12 2229.39
He wouldnt even get off the Stool (sports.espn.go.com).

And the Tyson era is over. Actually it was over in 1990 but I think Mike realizes it too.

(edited by CRZ on 11.6.11 0354)
Promote this thread!
ges7184
Lap cheong
Level: 78

Posts: 1135/1495
EXP: 4264753
For next: 117492

Since: 7.1.02
From: Birmingham, AL

Since last post: 604 days
Last activity: 528 days
#2 Posted on 11.6.05 2235.30
Reposted on: 11.6.12 2236.50
I hope everyone else realizes it, too, and quits paying to see this guy. Even though at this point I think Tyson even realizes he will never regain his old form, I'm not sure he will turn down a paycheck if people are still willing to pay him (tonight's comments notwithstanding).
spf
Scrapple
Level: 136

Posts: 3204/5410
EXP: 29371261
For next: 725731

Since: 2.1.02
From: The Las Vegas of Canada

Since last post: 397 days
Last activity: 222 days
AIM:  
#3 Posted on 12.6.05 0004.53
Reposted on: 12.6.12 0008.08
I loved the indignation by the HBO guys talking about how tonight boxing fans had a chance to put their money where their mouth is and either support "real boxing or a freak show" as HBO showed the Miguel Cotto vs. Abduleyev fight.
CRZ
Big Brother
Administrator
Level: 222

Posts: 6345/17001
EXP: 163982345
For next: 1620465

Since: 9.12.01
From: ミネアポリス

Since last post: 11 hours
Last activity: 11 hours
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#4 Posted on 12.6.05 0009.58
Reposted on: 12.6.12 0012.43
    Originally posted by ges7184
    I hope everyone else realizes it, too, and quits paying to see this guy. Even though at this point I think Tyson even realizes he will never regain his old form, I'm not sure he will turn down a paycheck if people are still willing to pay him (tonight's comments notwithstanding).
If I hear correctly from ESPNEWS, he retired.
Whitebacon
Banger
Level: 98

Posts: 1920/2519
EXP: 9323439
For next: 330948

Since: 12.1.02
From: Fresno, CA

Since last post: 4 days
Last activity: 10 hours
AIM:  
ICQ:  
#5 Posted on 12.6.05 0259.25
Reposted on: 12.6.12 0259.48
    Originally posted by spf
    I loved the indignation by the HBO guys talking about how tonight boxing fans had a chance to put their money where their mouth is and either support "real boxing or a freak show" as HBO showed the Miguel Cotto vs. Abduleyev fight.


This was on today? This was the fight of the decade fight, right?
Roy.
Pepperoni
Level: 65

Posts: 757/1040
EXP: 2290553
For next: 45087

Since: 25.2.04
From: Keystone State

Since last post: 3129 days
Last activity: 1599 days
#6 Posted on 12.6.05 0844.46
Reposted on: 12.6.12 0845.19
    Originally posted by rockdotcom_2.0
    . Actually it was over in 1990 but I think Mike realizes it too.


Mike said so himself in his press conference. I think he said something like "My career's been over since 1990".

Though I really liked how he admitted that if he couldn't beat McBride, he shouldn't be boxing.
dunkndollaz
Banger
Back to Back Survivor
Level: 99

Posts: 1591/2625
EXP: 9926468
For next: 73567

Since: 3.1.02
From: Northern NJ

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 18 hours
#7 Posted on 12.6.05 0905.09
Reposted on: 12.6.12 0906.34
I guess he must have felt, in some way, that if he hung around long enough the public might start to love him the way that they did George Foreman. I don't see that ever happening.
JoshMann
Andouille
Level: 90

Posts: 1624/2159
EXP: 6924574
For next: 264062

Since: 17.11.03
From: Tallahassee, FL

Since last post: 3064 days
Last activity: 3061 days
AIM:  
Y!:
#8 Posted on 12.6.05 1324.24
Reposted on: 12.6.12 1324.29
I think this is about the point where he really does fade into Bolivian this time.
redsoxnation
Scrapple
Level: 155

Posts: 4689/7534
EXP: 47362886
For next: 54441

Since: 24.7.02

Since last post: 1251 days
Last activity: 1251 days
#9 Posted on 12.6.05 1455.18
Reposted on: 12.6.12 1458.18
When you can't answer the bell against a poor man's Tommy Morrison, that is the sign that it is all over. This might be the biggest win for a white heavyweight not named Klitschko in at least a generation. Only draw left for Tyson to pay off his bills is to start fighting bears.
Considering the lack of heart Tyson has shown in the past 15 years, it really is tough to consider him one of the greatest heavyweights ever anymore. Except for a past his prime Larry Holmes, the best true heavyweight Tyson has beaten is Razor Ruddock, which doesn't really inspire awe. In his prime, he was a destructive force. However, how much of that was due to poor competition. Had Tyson come along in the late 60's/early 70's, would he have even been a Top 5 fighter?
JayJayDean
Scrapple
Level: 128

Posts: 2165/4750
EXP: 24164981
For next: 216785

Since: 2.1.02
From: Seattle, WA

Since last post: 312 days
Last activity: 8 days
AIM:  
Y!:
#10 Posted on 12.6.05 2155.20
Reposted on: 12.6.12 2155.33
    Originally posted by Whitebacon
      Originally posted by spf
      I loved the indignation by the HBO guys talking about how tonight boxing fans had a chance to put their money where their mouth is and either support "real boxing or a freak show" as HBO showed the Miguel Cotto vs. Abduleyev fight.


    This was on today? This was the fight of the decade fight, right?


Nope, that was Corrales-Castillo about a month ago. Cotto-Abdullaev was good enough (Kid Diamond-Casamayor, too) that anyone who chose the Tyson fight over it should be ashamed.
Whitebacon
Banger
Level: 98

Posts: 1921/2519
EXP: 9323439
For next: 330948

Since: 12.1.02
From: Fresno, CA

Since last post: 4 days
Last activity: 10 hours
AIM:  
ICQ:  
#11 Posted on 13.6.05 0019.39
Reposted on: 13.6.12 0029.02
I gotta get one of my managers to burn that Corrales fight for me. He has it stored on his Tivo, and I haven't been able to catch a replay.
wmatistic
Andouille
Level: 90

Posts: 173/2189
EXP: 7012050
For next: 176586

Since: 2.2.04
From: Austin, TX

Since last post: 483 days
Last activity: 1 day
AIM:  
#12 Posted on 13.6.05 0821.00
Reposted on: 13.6.12 0821.22
    Originally posted by redsoxnation
    When you can't answer the bell against a poor man's Tommy Morrison, that is the sign that it is all over. This might be the biggest win for a white heavyweight not named Klitschko in at least a generation. Only draw left for Tyson to pay off his bills is to start fighting bears.
    Considering the lack of heart Tyson has shown in the past 15 years, it really is tough to consider him one of the greatest heavyweights ever anymore. Except for a past his prime Larry Holmes, the best true heavyweight Tyson has beaten is Razor Ruddock, which doesn't really inspire awe. In his prime, he was a destructive force. However, how much of that was due to poor competition. Had Tyson come along in the late 60's/early 70's, would he have even been a Top 5 fighter?


Huh? There have been like five signs it was all over before this fight. Like say getting knocked out by a nobody last year. Anyone that thought he still had a shot at regaining old glory after that is retarded.

And this is in no way a big win for a white heavyweight. It was a pathetic display that means exactlly crap for whoever that chump was.

In his prime, Tyson was a completly different fighter than he became later. If you watch him against Holyfield, he was never moving nearly as quickly or as much as he had done early in his career. Something slowed him down and he was clearly different. In his prime, yes he was a truly great fighter. Not Ali great by any means, but definatly ahead of say Lennox Lewis.
StaggerLee
Scrapple
Level: 149

Posts: 2561/6827
EXP: 40576433
For next: 758802

Since: 3.10.02
From: Right side of the tracks

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 11 hours
#13 Posted on 19.6.05 1919.36
Reposted on: 19.6.12 1921.07
Jesus, Showtime showed this last night. He was done after two rounds. Didnt even look like he wanted to be in there. What a shame. Perhaps the most powerful puncher of my time, and he goes out like a bitch. What a waste.
ALL ORIGINAL POSTS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Thread ahead: Shameful way to end somebody's career
Next thread: U.S. Grand Prix: An Absolute Disaster
Previous thread: 2005 WSOP
(320 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Related threads: Hatton tames Tszyu in 11 - Winky/Tito - Aw Dammit Toney you idiot - More...
The 7 - Sports that aren't Baseball, Football, Basketball, or Hockey - Tyson loses AGAIN... Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board - 7 year recycle

ZimBoard
©2001-2015 Brothers Zim
This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.198 seconds.