The W
Views: 121105863
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Color chart | Log in for more!
22.2.10 2059
The 7 - Random - Semantics...."My bad"
This thread has 1 referral leading to it
Register and log in to post!
(701 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (14 total)
Jonny_English
Mettwurst
Level: 29

Posts: 118/157
EXP: 135214
For next: 12672

Since: 18.3.04
From: Derby, UK

Since last post: 3706 days
Last activity: 3529 days
#1 Posted on 22.4.05 0437.40
Reposted on: 22.4.12 0438.49
"My bad" is a phrase that hasn't really crossed the Atlantic (outside the realm of my 9 year old watching Kim Possible), and without wishing to sound stupid, I'm struggling with it.

What is the correct usage of this phrase? Often it can be read as "my bad judgement", sometimes "my bad luck". It would make a number of posts easier for me to read if I could crack this, rather than guessing.
Promote this thread!
DEAN RASMUSSEN
He is DEAN
Level: 76

Posts: 928/1399
EXP: 3899033
For next: 107046

Since: 11.12.01
From: Richmond, Va, U-S-A!

Since last post: 2145 days
Last activity: 2142 days
#2 Posted on 22.4.05 0606.30
Reposted on: 22.4.12 0609.05
    Originally posted by Jonny_English
    "My bad" is a phrase that hasn't really crossed the Atlantic (outside the realm of my 9 year old watching Kim Possible), and without wishing to sound stupid, I'm struggling with it.

    What is the correct usage of this phrase? Often it can be read as "my bad judgement", sometimes "my bad luck". It would make a number of posts easier for me to read if I could crack this, rather than guessing.


It's slang fer "my fault."
dwaters
Lap cheong
Level: 84

Posts: 342/1780
EXP: 5437923
For next: 224053

Since: 16.10.02
From: Connecticut

Since last post: 21 days
Last activity: 16 hours
#3 Posted on 22.4.05 0645.10
Reposted on: 22.4.12 0645.48
Usually "my bad" = "my mistake" or "sorry"

Clerk: "This shirt costs $20. You just handed me a ten"
Customer: "My bad"

This phrase just grated on me when I heard it, but after 7-8 years of hearing kids say it, it's just accepted now.

What still gets to me are people who start every sentence they utter with the word "Dude". It doesn't matter if they are talking to friends, doctors, teachers.
"Dude, I'm going to get that CD when it comes out. Dude, that wasn't cool. Dude, what are you getting for lunch. Dude, I've had this cough for a week now. Dude, that was sweet. Dude, why'd you give me a "C"? Dude, dude, dude, dude,....

ahhh, that felt better.......Dude.

EddieBurkett
Boudin blanc
Level: 97

Posts: 1125/2449
EXP: 9012332
For next: 305026

Since: 3.1.02
From: GA in person, NJ in heart

Since last post: 8 hours
Last activity: 1 hour
#4 Posted on 22.4.05 0927.07
Reposted on: 22.4.12 0927.07
From one of my favorite promos:

"First of all, Undertaker, I would like to apologise for ruining your tag team title match, and for soiling your motor-bike with milk. As they would say on the streets...my bad." -- Kurt Angle
odessasteps
Scrapple
Level: 132

Posts: 2096/5065
EXP: 26806428
For next: 325576

Since: 2.1.02
From: MD, USA

Since last post: 981 days
Last activity: 948 days
#5 Posted on 22.4.05 1045.09
Reposted on: 22.4.12 1045.38
    Originally posted by EddieBurkett
    From one of my favorite promos:

    "First of all, Undertaker, I would like to apologise for ruining your tag team title match, and for soiling your motor-bike with milk. As they would say on the streets...my bad." -- Kurt Angle


Didn't he also make "air quotes" when he said it?
JoshMann
Andouille
Level: 90

Posts: 1565/2159
EXP: 6983789
For next: 204847

Since: 17.11.03
From: Tallahassee, FL

Since last post: 3145 days
Last activity: 3143 days
AIM:  
Y!:
#6 Posted on 22.4.05 1047.40
Reposted on: 22.4.12 1047.50
    Originally posted by odessasteps
      Originally posted by EddieBurkett
      From one of my favorite promos:

      "First of all, Undertaker, I would like to apologise for ruining your tag team title match, and for soiling your motor-bike with milk. As they would say on the streets...my bad." -- Kurt Angle


    Didn't he also make "air quotes" when he said it?


He absolutely used air quotes...plus seeing it in print doesn't do justice how so very dorkish Angle sounded (even by Angle standards) while saying it.
JohnPi
Haggis
Level: 18

Posts: 29/51
EXP: 27085
For next: 2813

Since: 2.1.02
From: Highland, Michigan

Since last post: 3035 days
Last activity: 542 days
AIM:  
#7 Posted on 22.4.05 1525.20
Reposted on: 22.4.12 1526.00
To this day, I still use the Angle "As they say on the streets. . . " when speaking with people. It's funny that only about 1.5 people that I know actually get the reference.
Lise
Mrs. Guru
Level: 73

Posts: 164/1275
EXP: 3392301
For next: 93584

Since: 11.12.01

Since last post: 500 days
Last activity: 272 days
#8 Posted on 23.4.05 0035.17
Reposted on: 23.4.12 0040.02
Is "Oops" used in Britain? "My bad" can pretty much be substituted for "oops".

The Goon
Banger
Moderator
Level: 97

Posts: 1169/2502
EXP: 9307033
For next: 10325

Since: 2.1.02
From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Since last post: 28 days
Last activity: 5 days
#9 Posted on 23.4.05 1437.01
Reposted on: 23.4.12 1437.07
Jonny_English, if you follow the Premiership, check out Fernando Hierro's face after he scored on his own team(Bolton) in today's match against Aston Villa.

His facial expression is an excellent representation of "my bad".
Jonny_English
Mettwurst
Level: 29

Posts: 119/157
EXP: 135214
For next: 12672

Since: 18.3.04
From: Derby, UK

Since last post: 3706 days
Last activity: 3529 days
#10 Posted on 24.4.05 0702.28
Reposted on: 24.4.12 0702.39
    Originally posted by The Goon
    Jonny_English, if you follow the Premiership, check out Fernando Hierro's face after he scored on his own team(Bolton) in today's match against Aston Villa.

    His facial expression is an excellent representation of "my bad".


Haven't seen it. Can I assume it's an "Aaahhhh, bollocks" kind of deal? Which, incidentally, has probably replaced "oops" as the most common indication of an error.
ekedolphin
Scrapple
Level: 137

Posts: 2441/5564
EXP: 30837671
For next: 35262

Since: 12.1.02
From: Indianapolis, IN; now residing in Suffolk, VA

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 1 day
#11 Posted on 24.4.05 1615.02
Reposted on: 24.4.12 1616.18
A Dictionary.com definition for the benefit of my fellow Americans:

bollocks

v : make a mess of, destroy or ruin; "I botched the dinner and we had to eat out"; "the pianist screwed up the difficult passage in the second movement" [syn: botch, bumble, fumble, botch up, muff, blow, flub, screw up, ball up, spoil, muck up, bungle, fluff, bollix, bollix up, bollocks up, bobble, mishandle, louse up, foul up, mess up, fuck up]
Jonny_English
Mettwurst
Level: 29

Posts: 121/157
EXP: 135214
For next: 12672

Since: 18.3.04
From: Derby, UK

Since last post: 3706 days
Last activity: 3529 days
#12 Posted on 25.4.05 0601.34
Reposted on: 25.4.12 0601.44
    Originally posted by ekedolphin
    A Dictionary.com definition for the benefit of my fellow Americans:

    bollocks

    v : make a mess of, destroy or ruin; "I botched the dinner and we had to eat out"; "the pianist screwed up the difficult passage in the second movement" [syn: botch, bumble, fumble, botch up, muff, blow, flub, screw up, ball up, spoil, muck up, bungle, fluff, bollix, bollix up, bollocks up, bobble, mishandle, louse up, foul up, mess up, fuck up]


My bad ekedolphin, I should have explained that.











Did I get it right?
whatever
Bierwurst
Level: 85

Posts: 601/1831
EXP: 5804921
For next: 93643

Since: 12.2.02
From: Cleveland, Ohio

Since last post: 8 days
Last activity: 6 hours
#13 Posted on 25.4.05 0823.35
Reposted on: 25.4.12 0823.35
    Originally posted by Jonny_English
    My bad ekedolphin, I should have explained that.

    Did I get it right?

Yes, and congratulations, you are now well on your way to understanding our decaying grammar! ;)
ekedolphin
Scrapple
Level: 137

Posts: 2445/5564
EXP: 30837671
For next: 35262

Since: 12.1.02
From: Indianapolis, IN; now residing in Suffolk, VA

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 1 day
#14 Posted on 26.4.05 0035.02
Reposted on: 26.4.12 0035.23
Oh, incidentially, you may want to visit UrbanDictionary.com for more definitions of some bad grammar, heehee.
ALL ORIGINAL POSTS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Thread ahead: Goodbye Radio Shack Canada...Hello "Source by Circuit City"
Next thread: TUESDAY'S DVDVR CROSSWORD- WEST VIRGINIA
Previous thread: Finger Food
(701 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
The 7 - Random - Semantics...."My bad"Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board - 7 year recycle

ZimBoard
©2001-2015 Brothers Zim
This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.271 seconds.