The W
Views: 95535582
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Color chart | Log in for more!
16.4.07 0235
The 7 - Basketball - All-Star Game Halftime Show
This thread has 4 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
(305 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (8 total)
Kawshen
Liverwurst
Level: 69

Posts: 942/1201
EXP: 2787846
For next: 81912

Since: 2.1.02
From: Bronx, NY

Since last post: 1768 days
Last activity: 28 days
AIM:  
#1 Posted on 25.2.05 2106.58
Reposted on: 25.2.12 2106.59
I'm surprised no one's brought this up.

Now, I don't mean to poke fun at anyone here that likes country music - but that might've one of the most painful halftime shows I've ever seen.

Now, I'm not denying that country music is big in the Rockies, that's good and all. But, damn, this is the NBA. You really don't associate (much less expect to hear) country music during these games.

During this performance, they brought the midget cowboy out and I didn't think anything of it. But then, when they brought the black rappin' cowboy out, talking about "slicker than the grease on a barbecue brisket" and panned over to the little kid in his cowboy hat doing the Robot, it officially became hilariously bad.

Kenny and Chuck said it best. They really need to get over the Janet Jackson thing.

Anyone else had the fortune to catch this gem?
Promote this thread!
Blindsight
Weisswurst
Level: 12

Posts: 14/24
EXP: 7726
For next: 195

Since: 19.6.02
From: New Orleans

Since last post: 2687 days
Last activity: 2639 days
#2 Posted on 25.2.05 2141.37
Reposted on: 25.2.12 2142.30
I caught it. That was fannnnnnnntastic. The best thing about it, besides the Big and Rich midget, was how ESPN's now using the Leann Rimes song that she performed during halftime to show highlights of the All-Star Game. Because when you watch the NBA, the first artist you associate with it is the chick who did "Can't Fight The Moonlight."
ges7184
Lap cheong
Level: 76

Posts: 1103/1492
EXP: 3857960
For next: 148119

Since: 7.1.02
From: Birmingham, AL

Since last post: 9 days
Last activity: 4 hours
#3 Posted on 26.2.05 1143.56
Reposted on: 26.2.12 1146.56
    Originally posted by Kawshen
    I'm surprised no one's brought this up.

    Now, I don't mean to poke fun at anyone here that likes country music - but that might've one of the most painful halftime shows I've ever seen.

    Now, I'm not denying that country music is big in the Rockies, that's good and all. But, damn, this is the NBA. You really don't associate (much less expect to hear) country music during these games.

    During this performance, they brought the midget cowboy out and I didn't think anything of it. But then, when they brought the black rappin' cowboy out, talking about "slicker than the grease on a barbecue brisket" and panned over to the little kid in his cowboy hat doing the Robot, it officially became hilariously bad.

    Kenny and Chuck said it best. They really need to get over the Janet Jackson thing.

    Anyone else had the fortune to catch this gem?


Most painful? You must have missed the Orange Bowl halftime. Or even the very Janet Jackson halftime you mentioned. Or hell, almost ANY halftime show that can be credited to a "producer". They are ALL painful as far as I'm concerned!
Quezzy
Knackwurst
Level: 105

Posts: 1740/3178
EXP: 11994447
For next: 267853

Since: 6.1.02
From: The Moon

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 10 hours
AIM:  
#4 Posted on 26.2.05 2003.04
Reposted on: 26.2.12 2005.50
Personally, I love country music, and even *I* don't like Big and Rich or Leann Rimes so I was pretty sure none of the NBA fans in the crowd were too excited about it either.
bash91
Merguez
Level: 55

Posts: 398/711
EXP: 1269897
For next: 44301

Since: 2.1.02
From: Plain Dealing, LA

Since last post: 608 days
Last activity: 4 hours
#5 Posted on 26.2.05 2029.20
Reposted on: 26.2.12 2032.53
I also love country, and I don't like Big and Rich but that may be because they're country only because they couldn't make it as a rock act. Having said that, the halftime show really was seriously misguided.

Tim
geemoney
Scrapple
Level: 111

Posts: 1442/3755
EXP: 14728899
For next: 139507

Since: 26.1.03
From: Naples, FL

Since last post: 5 days
Last activity: 4 hours
AIM:  
#6 Posted on 26.2.05 2205.19
Reposted on: 26.2.12 2210.51
    Originally posted by bash91
    I also love country, and I don't like Big and Rich but that may be because they're country only because they couldn't make it as a rock act. Having said that, the halftime show really was seriously misguided.

    Tim

I'm not sure about the "couldn't make it as a Rock act." John Rich was part of "Lonestar" during their early days, and had a short-lived solo career in Country.
bash91
Merguez
Level: 55

Posts: 399/711
EXP: 1269897
For next: 44301

Since: 2.1.02
From: Plain Dealing, LA

Since last post: 608 days
Last activity: 4 hours
#7 Posted on 26.2.05 2222.27
Reposted on: 26.2.12 2226.35
    Originally posted by geemoney
    I'm not sure about the "couldn't make it as a Rock act." John Rich was part of "Lonestar" during their early days, and had a short-lived solo career in Country.


Actually, that's why I said what I said. John Rich bailed because they wouldn't let him sing enough and then couldn't make it as a solo artist. So, he reinvented himself with Big Kenny as a quasi-country rock act. I don't think they are either good enough or unique enough to make it as a rock group but they can make it by remaining in genre and producing the same kind of bad rap/rock with the addition of a few country cliches. I think my objection to Big and Rich revolves around the fact that I'm much more of a traditionalist and tend towards old school country. As an example, for my tastes, the best country album of the last couple of years is Alison Krauss and Union Station's Lonely Runs Both Ways.

Tim
JayJayDean
Scrapple
Level: 124

Posts: 2008/4698
EXP: 21569194
For next: 267468

Since: 2.1.02
From: Seattle, WA

Since last post: 4 days
Last activity: 6 hours
AIM:  
Y!:
#8 Posted on 27.2.05 1852.07
Reposted on: 27.2.12 1852.43
I didn't watch the All-Star Game but I did happen to flip to it during LeAnn Rimes' performance, and I thought that was the PERFECT song for the NBA to roll out during halftime. I anxiously await NBA Finals halftime, starring "The Wiggles".
ALL ORIGINAL POSTS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Thread ahead: Baron Davis traded to Golden State
Next thread: Sports Guy on the NBA trades
Previous thread: Any thoughts on the Illini?
(305 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Related threads: 20-Year-Old Age Limit might be coming. - All-Star Weekend, Trades and More - Some more NBA newsbits - More...
The 7 - Basketball - All-Star Game Halftime ShowRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board - 7 year recycle

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim
This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.185 seconds.