The W
Views: 98545557
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Color chart | Log in for more!
30.8.07 1345
The 7 - Current Events & Politics - New Adventures in Political Pettiness
This thread has 1 referral leading to it
Register and log in to post!
(389 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (11 total)
Grimis
Scrapple
Level: 124

Posts: 4493/4700
EXP: 21453883
For next: 382779

Since: 11.7.02
From: MD

Since last post: 1215 days
Last activity: 1012 days
#1 Posted on 4.2.05 1525.16
Reposted on: 4.2.12 1526.27
Just when you thought things couldn't get more petty, they did...
    Originally posted by WCCO-TV/AP
    Even in death, Ronald Reagan can't catch a break in Minnesota.

    A resolution honoring the former Republican president's birthday caused partisan friction in the state Senate Thursday and passed only after it was retooled to mention the fact he never won Minnesota and tax increases that occurred under his watch.

    The Democratic-controlled Senate spent more than 30 minutes debating the Republican-offered resolution, which recognizes Reagan's Feb. 6 birthday. Reagan died in June of complications from Alzheimer's disease at age 93.

    Minnesota was the only state Reagan lost in 1984. It went for Democrat Walter Mondale, a native son.

    Democrats criticized the original resolution as ideologically skewed. It said, among other things, that Reagan "worked in a bipartisan manner to enact his bold agenda of restoring accountability and common sense to government which led to an unprecedented economic expansion and opportunity for millions of Americans."

    The revised version ends that sentence with "not paralleled until the Clinton presidency," a nod to the two-term Democratic president. Democrats also added lines about tax increases under Reagan and hold up his presidency as "a lesson to the current administration in the areas of bipartisanship, economic recovery, and the need for world support in foreign initiatives."
Don't the legislators in Minnesota have something better to quibble about and debate than a mere resolution recognizing the birthday of a recently passed former President? Doesn't Minnesota have real problems to address? Legislative bodies across the country pass a countless number of resolutions honoring scores of people with nary a nay every year. For the Democrats in Minnesota to go ahead and put political statements in a simple resolution(going out of their way to honor Clinton in the process) is simply petty, ridculous, shameful, etc...
Promote this thread!
Guru Zim
SQL Dejection
Administrator
Level: 139

Posts: 3220/5999
EXP: 31673567
For next: 793960

Since: 9.12.01
From: Bay City, OR

Since last post: 21 days
Last activity: 1 day
AIM:  
#2 Posted on 4.2.05 1531.31
Reposted on: 4.2.12 1532.39
    Originally posted by Grimis
    Don't the legislators in Minnesota have something better to quibble about and debate than a mere resolution recognizing the birthday of a recently passed former President?


From what I read, it wasn't a mere recognition of the birthday. A mere recognition of the birthday would be a resolution stating "Let's recognize Reagan's Feb. 6th birthday".

From your own quote, it appears that someone added in the following statement.

    Originally posted by WCCO-TV
    It said, among other things, that Reagan "worked in a bipartisan manner to enact his bold agenda of restoring accountability and common sense to government which led to an unprecedented economic expansion and opportunity for millions of Americans."


    Originally posted by Grimis
    For the Democrats in Minnesota to go ahead and put political statements in a simple resolution(going out of their way to honor Clinton in the process) is simply petty, ridculous, shameful, etc...


But for the Republicans to put political statements attributing glory to Reagan's presidency - that's completely appropriate, right?

(edited by Guru Zim on 4.2.05 1331)
Grimis
Scrapple
Level: 124

Posts: 4494/4700
EXP: 21453883
For next: 382779

Since: 11.7.02
From: MD

Since last post: 1215 days
Last activity: 1012 days
#3 Posted on 4.2.05 1543.17
Reposted on: 4.2.12 1543.20
If it were me, and the resolution were honoring Clinton, or Jimmy Carter, was written by Democrats, and contained a number of platitudes of things done during their presidency, know what I would do?

I would vote for the damn thing to get it out of the way and move on to more important business.

The truth is, the Democrats in the Senate did this for the sake of being pricks. No other reason. Makes me wonder if they understand their responsibility as legislators.

And that applies for any legislator of ANY party who wastes time clogging up the legislative calendar with any resolution recognizing anybody of any party....
MoeGates
Andouille
Level: 88

Posts: 1814/2104
EXP: 6558873
For next: 91817

Since: 6.1.02
From: Brooklyn, NY

Since last post: 10 days
Last activity: 1 day
#4 Posted on 4.2.05 1639.45
Reposted on: 4.2.12 1640.18
    Originally posted by Grimis
    If it were me, and the resolution were honoring Clinton, or Jimmy Carter, was written by Democrats, and contained a number of platitudes of things done during their presidency, know what I would do?

    I would vote for the damn thing to get it out of the way and move on to more important business.

    The truth is, the Democrats in the Senate did this for the sake of being pricks. No other reason. Makes me wonder if they understand their responsibility as legislators.

    And that applies for any legislator of ANY party who wastes time clogging up the legislative calendar with any resolution recognizing anybody of any party....


So them why didn't you post about how the GOP wasted time clogging up the legislative calendar with this Reagan resolution? If it were the Dems and Clinton your post would have been "what an outrage by the Democrats" and then talk about how the Democrats have nothing better to do than propose meaningless resolutions honoring Bill Clinton and shouldn't they be hard at work trying to tackle REAL problems?

If you really want to try and pass as anything but a completely partisan hack, start a thread about something stupid the GOP does every once in a while. Or at least cop to the equal stupidity of both parties.

(edited by MoeGates on 4.2.05 1744)
Pool-Boy
Lap cheong
Level: 81

Posts: 1705/1759
EXP: 4900130
For next: 92740

Since: 1.8.02
From: Huntington Beach, CA

Since last post: 1262 days
Last activity: 28 days
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#5 Posted on 4.2.05 1657.41
Reposted on: 4.2.12 1657.45
If Clinton were dead?

Naaa. You pass the resolution and move on. You don't amend resolutions like that to prop up or attack other, living politicians. It cheapens the intend.

On the other hand, the Republicans should have withdrawn the resolution the minute party mudslinging started, instead of pitching in. It cheapened the whole intent, and they are partly to blame for letting it happen.

Whether you liked his policies or not, you can't deny that Reagan accomplished a lot during his terms, and he is deserving of some tribute. Without using such a resolution to prop up either party.

    Originally posted by MoeGates
    So them why didn't you post about how the GOP wasted time clogging up the legislative calendar with this Reagan resolution?


A good point as well. I am sure there were much more pressing issues on the table, especially this long after Reagan's death...


(edited by Pool-Boy on 4.2.05 1500)
policus
Loukanika
Level: 8

Posts: 7/9
EXP: 1634
For next: 553

Since: 17.8.04

Since last post: 3386 days
Last activity: 3363 days
#6 Posted on 4.2.05 1718.32
Reposted on: 4.2.12 1718.52
    Originally posted by Grimis
    Don't the legislators in Minnesota have something better to quibble about and debate than a mere resolution recognizing the birthday of a recently passed former President?


as Brett Hull said on SNL
    Originally posted by Hull
    Hull: Well, that's what happens in Canada when there's no hockey. Guys have more time to hang out, talk about their feelings. Next thing you know, they're in love with each other. I've got nothing against it, but I'd rather be playing hockey


in MN they quibble over unimportant legislation
Freeway
Scrapple
Level: 110

Posts: 2634/3504
EXP: 14100814
For next: 308118

Since: 3.1.02
From: Calgary

Since last post: 251 days
Last activity: 2 days
#7 Posted on 4.2.05 1746.00
Reposted on: 4.2.12 1746.49
    Originally posted by policus
      Originally posted by Grimis
      Don't the legislators in Minnesota have something better to quibble about and debate than a mere resolution recognizing the birthday of a recently passed former President?


    as Brett Hull said on SNL
      Originally posted by Hull
      Hull: Well, that's what happens in Canada when there's no hockey. Guys have more time to hang out, talk about their feelings. Next thing you know, they're in love with each other. I've got nothing against it, but I'd rather be playing hockey


    in MN they quibble over unimportant legislation


PLEASE don't compare recognizing Reagan's birthday to an insanely complex citizens' rights issue.
JayJayDean
Scrapple
Level: 125

Posts: 1942/4718
EXP: 22034716
For next: 419511

Since: 2.1.02
From: Seattle, WA

Since last post: 16 days
Last activity: 1 day
AIM:  
Y!:
#8 Posted on 4.2.05 1747.45
Reposted on: 4.2.12 1749.44
    Originally posted by Freeway420
    PLEASE don't compare recognizing Reagan's birthday to an insanely complex citizens' rights issue.


I thought he was just saying (jokingly) if there was hockey to focus on these apparently bored legislators wouldn't have become a story.

(edited by JayJayDean on 4.2.05 1548)
Corajudo
Frankfurter
Level: 58

Posts: 358/810
EXP: 1514111
For next: 63444

Since: 7.11.02
From: Dallas, TX

Since last post: 52 days
Last activity: 3 days
#9 Posted on 4.2.05 2104.26
Reposted on: 4.2.12 2104.36
    Originally posted by JayJayDean
      Originally posted by Freeway420
      PLEASE don't compare recognizing Reagan's birthday to an insanely complex citizens' rights issue.


    I thought he was just saying (jokingly) if there was hockey to focus on these apparently bored legislators wouldn't have become a story.

    (edited by JayJayDean on 4.2.05 1548)


I had the same impression and would also like to add it was a damned funny post.
Freeway
Scrapple
Level: 110

Posts: 2635/3504
EXP: 14100814
For next: 308118

Since: 3.1.02
From: Calgary

Since last post: 251 days
Last activity: 2 days
#10 Posted on 4.2.05 2228.12
Reposted on: 4.2.12 2228.12
My bad...but combining a joke about the NHL and a joke about gay marriage, especially nowadays, is touchy.

Especially in bleeding-heart Liberal Canada.
CRZ
Big Brother
Administrator
Level: 212

Posts: 5744/16172
EXP: 140191867
For next: 843919

Since: 9.12.01
From: ミネアポリス

Since last post: 11 hours
Last activity: 11 hours
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#11 Posted on 5.2.05 1318.19
Reposted on: 5.2.12 1329.01
    Originally posted by Grimis
    Just when you thought things couldn't get more petty, they did...
Yep...this is definitely one of your pettier threads. Don't bother next time.
ALL ORIGINAL POSTS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Thread ahead: State of the Union Address
Next thread: Great news on the Stem Cell front
Previous thread: Great Day for Freedom
(389 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
The 7 - Current Events & Politics - New Adventures in Political PettinessRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board - 7 year recycle

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim
This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.21 seconds.