The W
Views: 97763238
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Color chart | Log in for more!
28.7.07 2155
The 7 - Current Events & Politics - George W. Bush's address to the RNC Register and log in to post!
Pages: Prev 1 2(687 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (34 total)
RYDER FAKIN
Six Degrees of Me
Level: 63

Posts: 271/959
EXP: 2001039
For next: 96124

Since: 21.2.02
From: ORLANDO

Since last post: 590 days
Last activity: 28 days
AIM:  
#21 Posted on 3.9.04 1355.01
Reposted on: 3.9.11 1355.31
spf2119: Yeah, I am still getting over how the economy tanked in the 90's after Clinton pushed through that tax raise that killed off the recovery that was just starting to gain steam in 1992 and 1993.

And thank God for Alan Greenspan. Of course, *I'm* still getting over how Clinton didn't step in and stop the anti-trust suit against the real Bill that pretty much killed the tech revolution dead in it's tracks.

OFB: Bush comes from a family of power and privledge and has never had to work a day in his life. Kerry comes from an almost equally rich family - and married into a richer one. Neither one of these guys are typical barbeque and softball men of the people, and it's insulting to the American public when they pantomine like they are.

Agreed 100%. For either one to make themselves a "man of the people" is kind of insulting when you think about it. But, when in doubt, pick the guy who at least knows how to throw a baseball right down the middle instead of a half assed curve ball low, away and short of the plate. Maybe it is the little things - a debate about the economy certainly isn't fun

FLEA
DrDirt
Banger
Level: 96

Posts: 1173/2690
EXP: 8764661
For next: 224158

Since: 8.10.03
From: flyover country

Since last post: 6 days
Last activity: 5 hours
#22 Posted on 3.9.04 1427.13
Reposted on: 3.9.11 1427.38
    Originally posted by RYDER FAKIN
    spf2119: OFB: Bush comes from a family of power and privledge and has never had to work a day in his life. Kerry comes from an almost equally rich family - and married into a richer one. Neither one of these guys are typical barbeque and softball men of the people, and it's insulting to the American public when they pantomine like they are.

    Agreed 100%. For either one to make themselves a "man of the people" is kind of insulting when you think about it. But, when in doubt, pick the guy who at least knows how to throw a baseball right down the middle instead of a half assed curve ball low, away and short of the plate. Maybe it is the little things - a debate about the economy certainly isn't fun

    FLEA


To give "W" his props, he had a much more "common" upbringing than Kerry and actually did work for a living. Sure he had a bit of the silver spoon in his mouth but at least he was part of the real world for a while.

If Kerry is elected, would Heinz Ketchup be a vegetable again?
LionJeetSingh
Chourico
Level: 36

Posts: 159/282
EXP: 305622
For next: 2491

Since: 3.3.03

Since last post: 3219 days
Last activity: 3046 days
#23 Posted on 3.9.04 1508.05
Reposted on: 3.9.11 1508.12
^^ Care to elaborate?
Jaguar
Knackwurst
Level: 106

Posts: 2444/3273
EXP: 12657252
For next: 14732

Since: 23.1.02
From: Phoenix, AZ

Since last post: 112 days
Last activity: 112 days
#24 Posted on 3.9.04 1558.14
Reposted on: 3.9.11 1559.01
And all of this brings us back to Vietnam *again*. The common man ended up being shot at in the jungle. The privledged man ended up washing windows on parked aircraft back home.

The "Common man" thing is bullshit. I never owned an oil company, a major league baseball team, or a condiment empire. I've never had the chance to take my dad's multi-million dollar business and run it into the ground, nor can I say that my daddy was President of the United States.

I can't think of anything "Common" about either candidate.

It's just bullshit.

-Jag
SKLOKAZOID
Bratwurst
Level: 74

Posts: 800/1401
EXP: 3522977
For next: 130584

Since: 20.3.02
From: California

Since last post: 21 hours
Last activity: 15 min.
AIM:  
#25 Posted on 3.9.04 1604.43
Reposted on: 3.9.11 1604.44
President Bush came off well, and that's nothing I wouldn't expect from a party convention. His televangelist set looked nice and flowery, and the words he said sounded nice and pleasant.

He did expose flaws that Kerry can exploit over the next 60 days, and it will be very interesting if Kerry can overcome the media image that has been defined. He has an uphill climb, and he can't afford to make any mistakes... if it isn't too late.

Some of Bush's flaws include themes he brought up in his 2000 RNC acceptance speech and goals he has failed to achieve in the last 4 years with his party controlling House and Senate. No politician has been able to get through a successful overall Health Care bill and it was curious, though seemingly mandatory since all politicians do this, that he brought it up.

Now the conventions are over. Both Bush and Kerry now must deal with struggling for media visibility until the debates and they'll have soundbytes over-analyzed and we'll get to see some really, really hateful commercials.
DrDirt
Banger
Level: 96

Posts: 1177/2690
EXP: 8764661
For next: 224158

Since: 8.10.03
From: flyover country

Since last post: 6 days
Last activity: 5 hours
#26 Posted on 3.9.04 1727.47
Reposted on: 3.9.11 1729.02
    Originally posted by LionJeetSingh
    ^^ Care to elaborate?


Who and on what?
wmatistic
Andouille
Level: 87

Posts: 119/2168
EXP: 6246798
For next: 146001

Since: 2.2.04
From: Austin, TX

Since last post: 75 days
Last activity: 5 hours
AIM:  
#27 Posted on 3.9.04 1942.19
Reposted on: 3.9.11 1944.50
    Originally posted by RYDER FAKIN
    spf2119: Yeah, I am still getting over how the economy tanked in the 90's after Clinton pushed through that tax raise that killed off the recovery that was just starting to gain steam in 1992 and 1993.

    And thank God for Alan Greenspan. Of course, *I'm* still getting over how Clinton didn't step in and stop the anti-trust suit against the real Bill that pretty much killed the tech revolution dead in it's tracks.

    OFB: Bush comes from a family of power and privledge and has never had to work a day in his life. Kerry comes from an almost equally rich family - and married into a richer one. Neither one of these guys are typical barbeque and softball men of the people, and it's insulting to the American public when they pantomine like they are.

    Agreed 100%. For either one to make themselves a "man of the people" is kind of insulting when you think about it. But, when in doubt, pick the guy who at least knows how to throw a baseball right down the middle instead of a half assed curve ball low, away and short of the plate. Maybe it is the little things - a debate about the economy certainly isn't fun

    FLEA


I get what you're saying, but I'm not so down on them trying to seem more like us. Because I hate it when the Democrats make the word "rich" equal to "bad". Yeah they both have a ton of money, but that shouldn't be a knock against their moral character or work ethic. Obviously neither is against hard work or they wouldn't be running for president.

In the end we need to remember both are just human beings doing what they believe is the right thing. That seems to get lost when we see people on tv a lot. Just cause someone might disagree with them doesn't mean they don't have our best interests at heart.

Overall I think the republicans did a great job. They attacked the hell out of Kerry, cause really it's been working so why not keep it up? And Bush made sure to mention his plans for the future covering the main complaint the Democrats were saying about the other speakers.

I think Joe Public will see the highlights and Bush will get a decent bump from this.

What I really dislike is the interviews with mouthpieces after. From both sides. These people take the tact that they need to get in as many catch phrases as possible, speaking at super speed and ignoring anything else. It's so fucking annoying I just can't listen to them. Do they really think this style will help? I say slow your ass down and just hit one or two major points. The average person will respond much better to that than this auctioneer style junk.
StaggerLee
Scrapple
Level: 139

Posts: 1869/6222
EXP: 32243806
For next: 223721

Since: 3.10.02
From: Right side of the tracks

Since last post: 7 hours
Last activity: 18 min.
AIM:  
Y!:
#28 Posted on 4.9.04 0157.22
Reposted on: 4.9.11 0157.26
    Originally posted by Jaguar
    And all of this brings us back to Vietnam *again*. The common man ended up being shot at in the jungle. The privledged man ended up washing windows on parked aircraft back home


Oh, so my dad was privledged? He was stateside during Viet Nam, working on flight lines in the Navy. Not everybody went to Southeast Asia when the war was going on. SO, where is my fucking baseball team? Its pretty ignorant to assume every single person who was in the military but didnt go overseas to Viet Nam, were somehow at home due to rich relatives, political connections or other shady reasons.
DrDirt
Banger
Level: 96

Posts: 1181/2690
EXP: 8764661
For next: 224158

Since: 8.10.03
From: flyover country

Since last post: 6 days
Last activity: 5 hours
#29 Posted on 4.9.04 1115.50
Reposted on: 4.9.11 1118.15
    Originally posted by StaggerLee
      Originally posted by Jaguar
      And all of this brings us back to Vietnam *again*. The common man ended up being shot at in the jungle. The privledged man ended up washing windows on parked aircraft back home


    Oh, so my dad was privledged? He was stateside during Viet Nam, working on flight lines in the Navy. Not everybody went to Southeast Asia when the war was going on. SO, where is my fucking baseball team? Its pretty ignorant to assume every single person who was in the military but didnt go overseas to Viet Nam, were somehow at home due to rich relatives, political connections or other shady reasons.


Exactly, many didn't end up in country and we fail to realize many aren't fighting even if there because of all the logistics involved, not to mention all the paper needing shuffled.
Net Hack Slasher
Banger
Level: 100

Posts: 2520/2805
EXP: 10060622
For next: 293810

Since: 6.1.02
From: Outer reaches of your mind

Since last post: 3503 days
Last activity: 1923 days
#30 Posted on 7.9.04 1842.25
Reposted on: 7.9.11 1842.29
I had a nice chuckle reading Big Bad post, it's so true. Him going to New York was a good gesture but I also don't see how it was over the top great leadership. He was most likely a boost to moral to the workers, but I'm sure most president would do the same. The thing Bush is really good at is imagery, him at ground zero, dressed casually with megaphone in hand is an effective image. Bush bringing Thanksgiving turkey to the troops is a very good image, I'm sure the troops popped big for him doing that, but still very image conscious... It's not necessary a diss, he plays the political game very well. He knows this day and age it's style over substance and Image & presentation over content.

The first 4 years of GWB the thing that I will remember most is that he had the chance of really stepping up and being an amazing influential and important leader after 911. He could have taken this tragic circumstance and really do good in the world. He had Americans all supporting him and getting behind him and erasing those thick party barrier. America had the sympathy and support of so much of world, after it happened we all put our petty differences aside & really would like to work together to make this world a better place... In my eyes, Bush took that sentiment & abused it. Took advantage of it to push his own personal agenda instead of taking actions to help the cause. Which connects to which I think is even a greater sin and take 911 and exploits it much like street vendor who tries to profit from selling stuff concerning it.
DrDirt
Banger
Level: 96

Posts: 1197/2690
EXP: 8764661
For next: 224158

Since: 8.10.03
From: flyover country

Since last post: 6 days
Last activity: 5 hours
#31 Posted on 8.9.04 0727.41
Reposted on: 8.9.11 0729.01
    Originally posted by Net Hack Slasher
    I had a nice chuckle reading Big Bad post, it's so true. Him going to New York was a good gesture but I also don't see how it was over the top great leadership. He was most likely a boost to moral to the workers, but I'm sure most president would do the same. The thing Bush is really good at is imagery, him at ground zero, dressed casually with megaphone in hand is an effective image. Bush bringing Thanksgiving turkey to the troops is a very good image, I'm sure the troops popped big for him doing that, but still very image conscious... It's not necessary a diss, he plays the political game very well. He knows this day and age it's style over substance and Image & presentation over content.

    The first 4 years of GWB the thing that I will remember most is that he had the chance of really stepping up and being an amazing influential and important leader after 911. He could have taken this tragic circumstance and really do good in the world. He had Americans all supporting him and getting behind him and erasing those thick party barrier. America had the sympathy and support of so much of world, after it happened we all put our petty differences aside & really would like to work together to make this world a better place... In my eyes, Bush took that sentiment & abused it. Took advantage of it to push his own personal agenda instead of taking actions to help the cause. Which connects to which I think is even a greater sin and take 911 and exploits it much like street vendor who tries to profit from selling stuff concerning it.


Immediaytely after 9/11 Bush did all the right things and appeared on his way to being able to rise to the occassion. He kept that up through the early part of 2002. Then he strayed from his mission, IMO, and pissed away much of the good he accomplished. I had hopes for a while I was wrong re his abilities.
PalpatineW
Lap cheong
Level: 77

Posts: 1236/1528
EXP: 4046679
For next: 144469

Since: 2.1.02
From: Getting Rowdy

Since last post: 2743 days
Last activity: 2586 days
AIM:  
#32 Posted on 8.9.04 1034.52
Reposted on: 8.9.11 1035.23
    Originally posted by Net Hack Slasher
    The first 4 years of GWB the thing that I will remember most is that he had the chance of really stepping up and being an amazing influential and important leader after 911. He could have taken this tragic circumstance and really do good in the world. He had Americans all supporting him and getting behind him and erasing those thick party barrier. America had the sympathy and support of so much of world, after it happened we all put our petty differences aside & really would like to work together to make this world a better place... In my eyes, Bush took that sentiment & abused it. Took advantage of it to push his own personal agenda instead of taking actions to help the cause. Which connects to which I think is even a greater sin and take 911 and exploits it much like street vendor who tries to profit from selling stuff concerning it.


If you're going to judge an American president by how much love he gets from Europe and other places, I think you're always going to find them lacking.
Malarky
Bauerwurst
Level: 23

Posts: 28/104
EXP: 63904
For next: 3820

Since: 19.8.04

Since last post: 3580 days
Last activity: 3577 days
#33 Posted on 8.9.04 1043.01
Reposted on: 8.9.11 1043.08
    Originally posted by Jaguar
    And all of this brings us back to Vietnam *again*. The common man ended up being shot at in the jungle. The privledged man ended up washing windows on parked aircraft back home.

    The "Common man" thing is bullshit. I never owned an oil company, a major league baseball team, or a condiment empire. I've never had the chance to take my dad's multi-million dollar business and run it into the ground, nor can I say that my daddy was President of the United States.

    I can't think of anything "Common" about either candidate.

    It's just bullshit.

    -Jag



Yeah. Bush and Kerry are actually cousins and of course belong to the Skull and Bones Society.

Apparently you need to be a well-connected millionaire to be President. Last time I checked that was the very definition of an oligarchic society.
DrDirt
Banger
Level: 96

Posts: 1199/2690
EXP: 8764661
For next: 224158

Since: 8.10.03
From: flyover country

Since last post: 6 days
Last activity: 5 hours
#34 Posted on 8.9.04 1055.37
Reposted on: 8.9.11 1055.41
    Originally posted by Malarky
      Originally posted by Jaguar
      And all of this brings us back to Vietnam *again*. The common man ended up being shot at in the jungle. The privledged man ended up washing windows on parked aircraft back home.

      The "Common man" thing is bullshit. I never owned an oil company, a major league baseball team, or a condiment empire. I've never had the chance to take my dad's multi-million dollar business and run it into the ground, nor can I say that my daddy was President of the United States.

      I can't think of anything "Common" about either candidate.

      It's just bullshit.

      -Jag



    Yeah. Bush and Kerry are actually cousins and of course belong to the Skull and Bones Society.

    Apparently you need to be a well-connected millionaire to be President. Last time I checked that was the very definition of an oligarchic society.



Really: Clinton, Ford, Nixon, Eisenhower, Truman. Harldy a gallery of the rich. Do you need access to money? Of course but you don't have to be a millionaire.
ALL ORIGINAL POSTS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Pages: Prev 1 2Thread ahead: Bush and Chechnya
Next thread: The Midnight Ride of John Kerry
Previous thread: Maybe VAT Tax is not such a great idea afterall
(687 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
The 7 - Current Events & Politics - George W. Bush's address to the RNCRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board - 7 year recycle

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim
This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.211 seconds.