The W
Views: 100884954
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Color chart | Log in for more!
26.11.07 1832
The 7 - Basketball - NCAA Considering 5th year of eligibility
This thread has 10 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
(551 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (7 total)
Grimis
Scrapple
Level: 124

Posts: 3445/4700
EXP: 21666346
For next: 170316

Since: 11.7.02
From: MD

Since last post: 1304 days
Last activity: 1100 days
#1 Posted on 9.7.04 1116.00
Reposted on: 9.7.11 1116.54
Better question: why?:

    Originally posted by Associated Press via ESPN.com
    NCAA president Myles Brand will back a sweeping new proposal that would give college basketball players a fifth season of eligibility.

    One day after the National Association of Basketball Coaches unanimously approved the measure, Brand responded by calling it an "outstanding package.

    "I'm supportive of the package in its entirety," Brand told The Associated Press on Thursday. "It's coherent, and it's an effort to make the coach look more like a mentor and a teacher."

    The coaches association plans to submit a revised proposal to the NCAA. The NCAA still must debate the measure and approve the recommendations, a process that will likely take at least a year.

    Brand believes the extra year of eligibility will help place a greater emphasis on education and improve lagging graduation rates. He said most students take 4.8 years to graduate and that athletes should be expected to do the same.
What a ridiculous idea. It will not improve graduation rates or put a "greater emphasis eduaction." In fact, the likely outcome are fewer scholarship players and marginal players sticking around five years. It's not like this will stop guys from leaving for the NBA.

What a silly idea...



(edited by Grimis on 9.7.04 1216)
Promote this thread!
spf
Scrapple
Level: 133

Posts: 2788/5404
EXP: 27266334
For next: 586406

Since: 2.1.02
From: The Las Vegas of Canada

Since last post: 24 days
Last activity: 2 days
AIM:  
#2 Posted on 9.7.04 1141.38
Reposted on: 9.7.11 1143.23
What this will do though is make Tournament brackets into total nightmares. There will be tons of those "huge school with lots of 1-2 yr. stars vs. small school with 5 kids who have played together for 5 years now" matchups.
Rudoublesedoublel
Potato korv
Level: 55

Posts: 240/695
EXP: 1257594
For next: 56604

Since: 2.1.02
From: Kentucky - Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ Wildcats

Since last post: 15 days
Last activity: 1 day
#3 Posted on 9.7.04 1153.37
Reposted on: 9.7.11 1153.49
    Originally posted by Grimis
    Better question: why?:

      Originally posted by Associated Press via ESPN.com
      NCAA president Myles Brand will back a sweeping new proposal that would give college basketball players a fifth season of eligibility.

      One day after the National Association of Basketball Coaches unanimously approved the measure, Brand responded by calling it an "outstanding package.

      "I'm supportive of the package in its entirety," Brand told The Associated Press on Thursday. "It's coherent, and it's an effort to make the coach look more like a mentor and a teacher."

      The coaches association plans to submit a revised proposal to the NCAA. The NCAA still must debate the measure and approve the recommendations, a process that will likely take at least a year.

      Brand believes the extra year of eligibility will help place a greater emphasis on education and improve lagging graduation rates. He said most students take 4.8 years to graduate and that athletes should be expected to do the same.
    What a ridiculous idea. It will not improve graduation rates or put a "greater emphasis eduaction." In fact, the likely outcome are fewer scholarship players and marginal players sticking around five years. It's not like this will stop guys from leaving for the NBA.

    What a silly idea...



    (edited by Grimis on 9.7.04 1216)


I agree that it won't stop guys from going to the NBA and I also agree that it won't emphasize education - but I have to think that it will increase graduation rates - merely by default. Many 4-year players don't finish up those last few classes after their eligibility has expired (none of UK's scholarship seniors finished the semester after the UAB debacle). In order to stay eligible, many will have no choice but to actually graduate. Whether or not graduation rates increase by more than 20% would be interesting to find out.

(edited by Rudoublesedoublel on 9.7.04 1331)
JayJayDean
Scrapple
Level: 125

Posts: 1372/4723
EXP: 22279376
For next: 174851

Since: 2.1.02
From: Seattle, WA

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 18 hours
AIM:  
Y!:
#4 Posted on 9.7.04 1203.27
Reposted on: 9.7.11 1203.42
They currently figure graduation rates on athletes' having SIX years to graduate with four years of athletic eligibility, so I don't see what, at face value, adding a fifth year of athletic eligibility will do to improve them.

(edited by JayJayDean on 9.7.04 1003)

(edited by JayJayDean on 9.7.04 1004)
The Lurk
Cotechino
Level: 21

Posts: 34/83
EXP: 46762
For next: 3182

Since: 7.6.04

Since last post: 3772 days
Last activity: 3772 days
#5 Posted on 9.7.04 1218.11
Reposted on: 9.7.11 1218.43
It will help immensely.

Remember, only a very small percentage of players who are under NCAA rules go on to the next level. And many players are from poor families that could never afford a Division I education if not for scholarships. It will allow those players who give up so much time to basketball (and therefore have to take a lighter class load) to finish their degree without putting there already poor families into more debt.

We have to look beyond the big-name players to see how this benefits graduation rates. Sure it's not going to affect a guy who's going to the NBA anyhow, but it should help a lot of other players who aren't on that level.
Rudoublesedoublel
Potato korv
Level: 55

Posts: 241/695
EXP: 1257594
For next: 56604

Since: 2.1.02
From: Kentucky - Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ Wildcats

Since last post: 15 days
Last activity: 1 day
#6 Posted on 9.7.04 1338.08
Reposted on: 9.7.11 1340.22
    Originally posted by JayJayDean
    They currently figure graduation rates on athletes' having SIX years to graduate with four years of athletic eligibility, so I don't see what, at face value, adding a fifth year of athletic eligibility will do to improve them.

    (edited by JayJayDean on 9.7.04 1003)

    (edited by JayJayDean on 9.7.04 1004)


IMO, the extra year of eligibility will give them the incentive to maintain their academic progress. Many players will stay academically eligible while they have playing eligibility, but the guys who are a handfull of classes short after 4 years often don't bother. These guys would have one more year of playing eligibility and by default would complete their degrees just to be able to play that fifth year.

It is true that the guys who really want to graduate will graduate within six years - but some of the guys who don't really care will end up graduating just because they have to take the classes to keep on playing.

By "forcing" them to complete 2 extra semsters worth of classes, at least "some" will graduate - thus increasing graduation rates. At the same time, I think it hardly puts education first, it would just be a nice loophole to say "see, we're doing better".
BigVitoMark
Lap cheong
Level: 76

Posts: 1157/1509
EXP: 3928588
For next: 77491

Since: 10.8.02
From: Queen's University, Canada

Since last post: 3412 days
Last activity: 3321 days
ICQ:  
#7 Posted on 9.7.04 2048.54
Reposted on: 9.7.11 2049.02
    Originally posted by spf2119
    What this will do though is make Tournament brackets into total nightmares. There will be tons of those "huge school with lots of 1-2 yr. stars vs. small school with 5 kids who have played together for 5 years now" matchups.


Yeah, and I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't at least part of the motivation. People love that stuff. They don't love the 2 seed beating the 15 seed by 30 points and 3/4 of the live crowd in the lobby of the arena watching other games on the CBS feed.

I have no problem with this. Honestly, I couldn't care less about graduation rates. I paid my money last year to go watch four basketball games in one day. Whether the players could write a good history essay or could run a science experiment didn't make one iota of difference to my enjoyment of the tournament. The games will be better, and hell, up here all varsity athletes have five years of eligibility anyway.
ALL ORIGINAL POSTS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Thread ahead: Free Agent contracts that make you say "WTF?!"
Next thread: Rudy T. to coach the Lakers
Previous thread: Clippers' Richardson accepts $50M offer sheet with Suns.
(551 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Related threads: Bob Huggins in trouble - Syracuse Orange?!!? - Nolan Richardson Case Opens Today - More...
The 7 - Basketball - NCAA Considering 5th year of eligibilityRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board - 7 year recycle

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim
This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.151 seconds.