The W
Views: 99937175
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Color chart | Log in for more!
22.10.07 2334
The 7 - Hockey - Bertuzzi Charged Register and log in to post!
(193 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (9 total)
canucklover
Pickled pork
Level: 31

Posts: 179/184
EXP: 167083
For next: 18282

Since: 16.7.02
From: Vancouver, BC

Since last post: 3457 days
Last activity: 3075 days
#1 Posted on 24.6.04 1322.44
Reposted on: 24.6.11 1323.44
BC's Ministry of the Attorney General announced today that Crown Counsel has concluded that criminal charges are warranted in the Bertuzzi-Steve Moore affair. Bertuzzi has now been charged with assault causing bodily harm and will appear in Provincial Court July 9.

Full story:

http://www.tsn.ca/ nhl/news_story.asp?ID=88820& hubName=nhl

(edited by canucklover on 24.6.04 1123)
Promote this thread!
JoshMann
Andouille
Level: 87

Posts: 967/2159
EXP: 6338735
For next: 54064

Since: 17.11.03
From: Tallahassee, FL

Since last post: 2292 days
Last activity: 2289 days
AIM:  
Y!:
#2 Posted on 24.6.04 1348.30
Reposted on: 24.6.11 1349.10
Call me a cynic, and this isn't to say that what Bertuzzi did wasn't awful but this smacks of an attourney's office making an arrest for the purpose of garnering attention in an election year.

Of course, if they REALLY want to win votes in Vancouver they'd have arrested Dan Cloutier under the charges of Impersonating a Goaltender. :-P
fuelinjected
Banger
Level: 97

Posts: 2243/2679
EXP: 9191539
For next: 125819

Since: 12.10.02
From: Canada

Since last post: 3261 days
Last activity: 3261 days
#3 Posted on 24.6.04 1828.32
Reposted on: 24.6.11 1829.01
What a waste of my tax paying dollars. It's supposed to be "in the best interest of the public" whether or not for Crown Counsel to press charges.

It is soooo not in the best interest of the public to go through with this. He's already lost more money and taken more of a public image hit then any court case could possibly hit him with.

But hey they get their names in the paper everyday and get to be on TV, right? It would be one thing if Steve Moore wanted to press charges or sue Bertuzzi but this is just a big waste of time.
Hobbes
Cotechino
Level: 22

Posts: 21/87
EXP: 55631
For next: 2720

Since: 10.12.01
From: Kelowna

Since last post: 86 days
Last activity: 43 days
#4 Posted on 25.6.04 0446.49
Reposted on: 25.6.11 0448.35
    Originally posted by fuelinjected
    He's already lost more money and taken more of a public image hit then any court case could possibly hit him with.


Uh, this is a big public image hit. I mean, not as much as the event itself but it's still bad. Everyone starts to forget about Bertuzzi and then this comes back and gets top story on tsn.ca and all the Canadian sports shows as well as lots of airtime on regular news. Also apart from dragging this all back to the surface, any court case at all will hurt his public image at least somewhat. As bad as the McSorely incident was on it's own, it also gets extra historical attention because it had a trial.

As far as a possible punishment hurting him, it's possible that he might not just get a fine. It's incredibly unlikely but he could spend time in jail, do community service or get probation. Also, this case helps the strength of a possible civil case from Steve Moore and THAT is the court case that could really fuck Bertuzzi, the Canucks and the NHL in the ass.
Socks
Landjager
Level: 61

Posts: 734/888
EXP: 1775536
For next: 101071

Since: 25.6.02
From: Ottawa

Since last post: 821 days
Last activity: 434 days
#5 Posted on 25.6.04 1206.22
Reposted on: 25.6.11 1206.23
    Originally posted by Blanket Jackson
    Call me a cynic, and this isn't to say that what Bertuzzi did wasn't awful but this smacks of an attourney's office making an arrest for the purpose of garnering attention in an election year.

    Of course, if they REALLY want to win votes in Vancouver they'd have arrested Dan Cloutier under the charges of Impersonating a Goaltender. :-P


RIMSHOT!

I am having a hard time with this. There really shouldn't be any involvment from the police in sport. But again, you don't do what Bert did...

In other words...I am making no sense...
The Lurk
Cotechino
Level: 21

Posts: 6/83
EXP: 46549
For next: 3395

Since: 7.6.04

Since last post: 3737 days
Last activity: 3737 days
#6 Posted on 25.6.04 1232.23
Reposted on: 25.6.11 1232.24
This is a very weird topic and the more I think about it the more unsure I am about how I feel.

On the one hand, it sure seems like Bertuzzi is being charged on the consequences and not the action itself. If Moore had gotten right back up after the nasty hit, would this be happening? The hit would still be the same - cheap shot from behind.

There are fights in many hockey games and a legal and effective strategy involves physically dominating your opponent by punishing him for hours at a time. If you charge one guy with assault for punching a guy (regardless of the result of that punch) wouldn't you have to charge all guys that punch other players? Where do you draw the line?? Maybe the authorities should just stay out of sports.

At the same time, what if Moore had landed just right and actually died from the broken neck?? One couldn't possibly argue that it's "just sports" and that Bertuzzi should go unpunished.

So what defines this gray area? Intent? Premeditation?

Other hypotheticals from other sports.....what if a receiver talks smack to a linebacker, then on the next play the linebacker viscously hits the receiver as he comes across the middle. Did he hit him on purpose? Yes. With intent to inflict bodily harm? Yes. As retaliation, therefore premeditated? Yes. So what happens if the receiver gets injured. Or dies from a neck injury.

You could do the same example with a pitcher throwing at a batter to protect his team. What if he hits the guy in the head and said guy is seriously injured or dies??
Big Bad
Scrapple
Level: 146

Posts: 3140/6740
EXP: 37833521
For next: 679865

Since: 4.1.02
From: Dorchester, Ontario

Since last post: 3 days
Last activity: 19 hours
#7 Posted on 26.6.04 1239.53
Reposted on: 26.6.11 1244.47
It took the Vancouver police six months to figure this out?
Freeway
Scrapple
Level: 110

Posts: 2097/3504
EXP: 14182056
For next: 226876

Since: 3.1.02
From: Calgary

Since last post: 304 days
Last activity: 1 day
#8 Posted on 26.6.04 1318.52
Reposted on: 26.6.11 1318.57
    Originally posted by The Lurk
    This is a very weird topic and the more I think about it the more unsure I am about how I feel.

    On the one hand, it sure seems like Bertuzzi is being charged on the consequences and not the action itself. If Moore had gotten right back up after the nasty hit, would this be happening? The hit would still be the same - cheap shot from behind.

    There are fights in many hockey games and a legal and effective strategy involves physically dominating your opponent by punishing him for hours at a time. If you charge one guy with assault for punching a guy (regardless of the result of that punch) wouldn't you have to charge all guys that punch other players? Where do you draw the line?? Maybe the authorities should just stay out of sports.

    At the same time, what if Moore had landed just right and actually died from the broken neck?? One couldn't possibly argue that it's "just sports" and that Bertuzzi should go unpunished.

    So what defines this gray area? Intent? Premeditation?

    Other hypotheticals from other sports.....what if a receiver talks smack to a linebacker, then on the next play the linebacker viscously hits the receiver as he comes across the middle. Did he hit him on purpose? Yes. With intent to inflict bodily harm? Yes. As retaliation, therefore premeditated? Yes. So what happens if the receiver gets injured. Or dies from a neck injury.

    You could do the same example with a pitcher throwing at a batter to protect his team. What if he hits the guy in the head and said guy is seriously injured or dies??


Here's the arguement the NHL will probably make: In a traditional hard-fought hockey game, both teams bodycheck the hell out of each other, face-to-face. When it gets too rough and a fight breaks out, it breaks out face-to-face and things get settled. If a player checks another player from behind, he gets tossed from the game and potentially suspended. If a player sucker-punches another player from behind, it falls into the same category. Premeditation goes into consideration, too. The legal standpoint is that guys like Bertuzzi are big, tough guys who basically constitute weapons due to their size & training.

I say he gets off.
fuelinjected
Banger
Level: 97

Posts: 2250/2679
EXP: 9191539
For next: 125819

Since: 12.10.02
From: Canada

Since last post: 3261 days
Last activity: 3261 days
#9 Posted on 26.6.04 1359.02
Reposted on: 26.6.11 1359.12
    Originally posted by Big Bad
    It took the Vancouver police six months to figure this out?


It took them months to charge MP Svend Robinson for theft of a jewel even after he admitted to it.

It's all about the publicity and the election.
ALL ORIGINAL POSTS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Thread ahead: Rangers to let Lindros walk
Next thread: NHL Trades - Ottawa gettin busy
Previous thread: The Stanley Cup could be yours.....
(193 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Related threads: Barry Melrose speaks on Bertuzzi situation - Canucks win in O.T. - More...
The 7 - Hockey - Bertuzzi ChargedRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board - 7 year recycle

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim
This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.145 seconds.