The W
Views: 95785918
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Color chart | Log in for more!
24.4.07 1333
The 7 - Basketball - T-Mac... go get him... Register and log in to post!
(514 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (14 total)
ekedolphin
Scrapple
Level: 131

Posts: 2044/5361
EXP: 26288845
For next: 135845

Since: 12.1.02
From: Indianapolis, IN; now residing in Suffolk, VA

Since last post: 17 hours
Last activity: 13 hours
#1 Posted on 17.6.04 1510.31
Reposted on: 17.6.11 1511.22
In this article, Indianapolis Star reporter Bob Kravitz recommends that the Pacers go after Magic star Tracy McGrady, and suggests a few ways the Pacers might go about doing that.

I, for one, think this is a great idea. Stick T-Mac on a team with a legitimate chance to win a championship, and he's happy again, I think. There's less pressure for him to score half of his team's damn points. Plus, Al Harrington probably isn't going to start for us, so trading him to Orlando, where he would start, might be the thing to do.

Of course, I disagree with the belief that it's better to reign in hell than serve in heaven... and Al's complaining about the starting job might end up forcing the Pacers to ship him to a crappy team. Let's see how happy he is then.

Still, the overriding logic is that Al wants to start. He ain't starting over Jermaine O'Neal or Ron Artest, and Artest isn't suited to playing shooting guard so that Al can be the small forward.

So I say, trade Al Harrington and a young, talented player to Orlando for McGrady. (Trading Artest or Johnathan Bender would be a bitter pill to take, but I'd do it.) Cash in on our depth now, and get ourselves a player that is a truly great talent that can help us win a championship.

(edited by ekedolphin on 17.6.04 1610)
Promote this thread!
BOSsportsfan34
Pepperoni
Level: 65

Posts: 424/1094
EXP: 2325461
For next: 10179

Since: 2.1.03
From: MA

Since last post: 95 days
Last activity: 19 hours
AIM:  
Y!:
#2 Posted on 17.6.04 1514.51
Reposted on: 17.6.11 1515.23
    Originally posted by ekedolphin
    In this article, Indianapolis Star reporter Bob Kravitz recommends that the Pacers go after Magic star Tracy McGrady, and suggests a few ways the Pacers might go about doing that.

    I, for one, think this is a great idea. Stick T-Mac on a team with a legitimate chance to win a championship, and he's happy again, I think. There's less pressure for him to score half of his team's damn points. Plus, Al Harrington probably isn't going to start for us, so trading him to Orlando, where he would start, might be the thing to do.

    Of course, I disagree with the belief that it's better to reign in hell than serve in heaven... and Al's complaining about the starting job might end up forcing the Pacers to ship him to a crappy team. Let's see how happy he is then.

    Still, the overriding logic is that Al wants to start. He ain't starting over Jermaine O'Neal or Ron Artest, and Artest isn't suited to playing shooting guard so that Al can be the small forward.

    So I say, trade Al Harrington and a young, talented player to Orlando for McGrady. (Trading Artest or Johnathan Bender would be a bitter pill to take, but I'd do it.) Cash in on our depth now, and get ourselves a player that is a truly great talent that can help us win a championship.

    (edited by ekedolphin on 17.6.04 1610)


That trade might get you the #1 pick/Hill's contract but I doubt it gets T-Mac.
ekedolphin
Scrapple
Level: 131

Posts: 2045/5361
EXP: 26288845
For next: 135845

Since: 12.1.02
From: Indianapolis, IN; now residing in Suffolk, VA

Since last post: 17 hours
Last activity: 13 hours
#3 Posted on 17.6.04 1534.01
Reposted on: 17.6.11 1534.48
Perhaps not under normal circumstances. But it's all dependent upon McGrady's plans. If the Magic feel they can't re-sign him after this coming season, they'll look to trade him. They certainly don't want to risk losing him the way they lost Shaq.

But the Magic can keep Hill's contract for all I'm concerned. He's probably never coming back full-time, so the only thing he's doing is eating up cap space. Better theirs than ours.
Kawshen
Liverwurst
Level: 69

Posts: 690/1201
EXP: 2790472
For next: 79286

Since: 2.1.02
From: Bronx, NY

Since last post: 1777 days
Last activity: 37 days
AIM:  
#4 Posted on 18.6.04 2109.46
Reposted on: 18.6.11 2110.35
It's official. T-Mac wants out of Orlando. ESPN just confirmed it.
ekedolphin
Scrapple
Level: 131

Posts: 2058/5361
EXP: 26288845
For next: 135845

Since: 12.1.02
From: Indianapolis, IN; now residing in Suffolk, VA

Since last post: 17 hours
Last activity: 13 hours
#5 Posted on 18.6.04 2155.05
Reposted on: 18.6.11 2157.20
WHOO! If buying a few new Pacers T-shirts will help Larry and Donnie get him in a sign-and-trade, I'll do it. Just direct me to the nearest Galyan's.
Tony Stewart
Pickled pork
Level: 30

Posts: 21/183
EXP: 148716
For next: 17155

Since: 6.6.04

Since last post: 2552 days
Last activity: 1161 days
#6 Posted on 21.6.04 1855.21
Reposted on: 21.6.11 1856.51
Click Here (sports.espn.go.com)


How do you feel about a Rockets jersey. Hopefully a little better than Francis and his Magic jersey. At least Francis can probably have the go ahead to throw up the rock as many times as he wants.




(edited by Tony Stewart on 21.6.04 1959)
Quezzy
Knackwurst
Level: 105

Posts: 1553/3181
EXP: 12022761
For next: 239539

Since: 6.1.02
From: The Moon

Since last post: 4 hours
Last activity: 2 hours
AIM:  
#7 Posted on 22.6.04 0202.19
Reposted on: 22.6.11 0204.34
Wasn't the problem with Francis that he was too selfish and that they wanted this to be Yao's team? So how does getting a ball hog like T-Mac change that (although granted he is a better ball hog)
JoshMann
Andouille
Level: 87

Posts: 946/2159
EXP: 6193047
For next: 199752

Since: 17.11.03
From: Tallahassee, FL

Since last post: 2110 days
Last activity: 2107 days
AIM:  
Y!:
#8 Posted on 22.6.04 0745.21
Reposted on: 22.6.11 0747.46
    Originally posted by Quezzy
    Wasn't the problem with Francis that he was too selfish and that they wanted this to be Yao's team? So how does getting a ball hog like T-Mac change that (although granted he is a better ball hog)


He'd be a ballhog from the shooting guard position and not from the point. So really what they need at the 1 is a guy who can hit an open 18 footer when they need him to, but otherwise his job would be get the ball to Yao and get the ball to T-Mac.
JayJayDean
Scrapple
Level: 124

Posts: 1311/4699
EXP: 21596405
For next: 240257

Since: 2.1.02
From: Seattle, WA

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 50 min.
AIM:  
Y!:
#9 Posted on 22.6.04 1000.44
Reposted on: 22.6.11 1000.59
Excepting the fact that the Pistons just won the title, when it comes to being interesting all season long, West > East by A LOT. Adding T-Mac to Houston and the West with KG, Kobe, Shaq, TD, the Kings, the Mavs, etc. just doesn't seem fair at all. The East will be left with Iverson, LeBron, VC, and that's about it for true superstars. Guys like Starbury and Pierce are a notch below, I think, and I like Jermaine O'Neal but the Pistons and Pacers are more in the Patriots mold with no real SUPERstars.
redsoxnation
Scrapple
Level: 151

Posts: 3938/7534
EXP: 42842541
For next: 454035

Since: 24.7.02

Since last post: 297 days
Last activity: 297 days
#10 Posted on 22.6.04 1005.51
Reposted on: 22.6.11 1008.25
    Originally posted by JayJayDean
    Excepting the fact that the Pistons just won the title, when it comes to being interesting all season long, West > East by A LOT. Adding T-Mac to Houston and the West with KG, Kobe, Shaq, TD, the Kings, the Mavs, etc. just doesn't seem fair at all. The East will be left with Iverson, LeBron, VC, and that's about it for true superstars. Guys like Starbury and Pierce are a notch below, I think, and I like Jermaine O'Neal but the Pistons and Pacers are more in the Patriots mold with no real SUPERstars.





But, you move Shaq over to the East, and the balance of power shifts radically. If the Nets reconsider their payroll cutting idea and trade Kerry Kittles and a maxed Kenyon Martin for Shaq, the numbers work cap wise, and the Lakers would have 2 pieces to put around Kobe in their futile attempt to win without a center, while the Nets would have Kidd/Jefferson/Shaq. And that might be the best place for the Lakers to move Shaq, as they probably could get more from the Clippers or Mavs, but then they would have to get through Shaq to get to the Finals.
BOSsportsfan34
Pepperoni
Level: 65

Posts: 428/1094
EXP: 2325461
For next: 10179

Since: 2.1.03
From: MA

Since last post: 95 days
Last activity: 19 hours
AIM:  
Y!:
#11 Posted on 22.6.04 1029.03
Reposted on: 22.6.11 1029.10
I can't understand why the Lakers are chosing Kobe over Shaq. It would be funny though if LA trades Shaq and Kobe still leaves.
RYDER FAKIN
Six Degrees of Me
Level: 62

Posts: 235/959
EXP: 1979914
For next: 4783

Since: 21.2.02
From: ORLANDO

Since last post: 494 days
Last activity: 1 day
AIM:  
#12 Posted on 22.6.04 1201.09
Reposted on: 22.6.11 1202.36
BOSsportsfan34: I can't understand why the Lakers are chosing Kobe over Shaq. It would be funny though if LA trades Shaq and Kobe still leaves.

Or even funnier if Kobe can't play due to the impossibilities of draining a jump shot from JAIL.

This whole T-Mac thing is cracking me up. Basically, the Magic management are looking at long term face saving, as T-Mac would most likely leave next year unrestricted and without any compensation to the Magic (ala Shaq). But, T-Mac has proven himself unwilling (or unworthy is my choice of words) of carrying a team on his back. Sure, he led the league in scoring, but his lack of defense and overall leadership abilities are on par with someone like Iverson. Both are good players, but neither "help" there teams where needed most - i.e. - getting other people involved with the offense, instead of dropping 30 and crying to the press afterwards about being used and abused.

Yes, the Magic royally fucked up with the whole Grant Hill debacle. BUT - T-Mac would not have developed into the *superstar* he is now without being thrown to the wolves. Yes, the Magic have cut their noses off to spite their face when B. Wallace was traded and D. Armstrong was run out of town...BUT - that is no excuse for T-Mac to quit on his team, which he did numerous times, both game-wise and overall general attitude.

The basic deal with T-Mac was he wanted "comparable" players around him - Magic Management: okay, so who do you want, that we can afford? T-Mac: DUUUUUHHHH...TRADE ME! and so they will...he isn't willing to be here for "rebuilding", so let him flounder on a Rockets team that will find out the hard way. I couldn't care less about Steve Francis.

FLEA
BWT
Boerewors
Level: 40

Posts: 98/360
EXP: 417717
For next: 23596

Since: 27.1.04
From: Philly

Since last post: 3009 days
Last activity: 2613 days
AIM:  
#13 Posted on 22.6.04 1430.12
Reposted on: 22.6.11 1430.16
    Originally posted by RYDER FAKIN
    so let him flounder on a Rockets team that will find out the hard way.

    FLEA


"Flounder"? I think in a few years with Van Gundy and Yao the Rockets will be the team to beat in the NBA. Yao has all the skills right now he just needs to get some intensity. I think T-Mac can become a great player as well given the right system and a good coach I think Houston is a great fit.
redsoxnation
Scrapple
Level: 151

Posts: 3939/7534
EXP: 42842541
For next: 454035

Since: 24.7.02

Since last post: 297 days
Last activity: 297 days
#14 Posted on 22.6.04 1513.24
Reposted on: 22.6.11 1515.25
    Originally posted by RYDER FAKIN
    , T-Mac has proven himself unwilling (or unworthy is my choice of words) of carrying a team on his back. Sure, he led the league in scoring, but his lack of defense and overall leadership abilities are on par with someone like Iverson. Both are good players, but neither "help" there teams where needed most - i.e. - getting other people involved with the offense, instead of dropping 30 and crying to the press afterwards about being used and abused.





I agree with T-Mac being a crybaby, but I wouldn't compare him to Iverson. At least Iverson has put a team on his back in the playoffs and gotten to the Finals, while Tracy still thinks winning 3 games in a best of 7 means his team advances to the next round.
ALL ORIGINAL POSTS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Thread ahead: The Charlotte Bobcats expansion draft...
Next thread: It looks like this is your 2004 Olympic Team...
Previous thread: WNBA MVP poses nude in Aussie magazine...
(514 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Related threads: Should the Magic trade T-Mac? And to whom? - T-Mac scores 62 -- but still unhappy - Grant Hill Comeback #986759 Status - More...
The 7 - Basketball - T-Mac... go get him...Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board - 7 year recycle

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim
This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.217 seconds.