The W
Views: 97891032
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Color chart | Log in for more!
1.8.07 2151
The 7 - the-w.com Site Feedback - What happened
This thread has 1 referral leading to it
Register and log in to post!
(386 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (15 total)
CRZ
Big Brother
Administrator
Level: 212

Posts: 4705/16117
EXP: 139046467
For next: 1989319

Since: 9.12.01
From: ミネアポリス

Since last post: 2 hours
Last activity: 2 hours
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#1 Posted on 26.5.04 0140.00
Reposted on: 26.5.11 0140.16
Around 0305 (PDT) Sunday morning, our server experienced some rather horrendous SCSI problems which pretty much locked the whole thing up. We rebooted and it came up for...like another 45 minutes.

I spent most of Sunday taking things apart, putting things together, swearing, and by that evening Aaron and I had decided to just give up and start over on a leased server.

Monday, it came up, but we learned that the backups which we had fastidiously been making had actually stopped working right around the time that I made the name change.

Fortunately, Aaron had a backup on his HOME computer, we still had all the scripts and the database was complete - except for about 24 hours, since our nightly backup starts at 0330. So any sparkling wit you shared with us on Saturday probably needs to be reposted.

Massively large props go to our silent admin Adam for getting our custom setup up and running so quickly with very little notice - as well as reconstructing all our database tables in record time.

There's probably more to tell but this is what you get for now. I got some more catching up to do...

EDIT: Oh, right, my tasteless joke. "At least with the board not up, I didn't have to close another Owen Hart thread."

(edited by CRZ on 25.5.04 2342)
Promote this thread!
infinitum
He's got all the keys anyway
Level: 17

Posts: 39/46
EXP: 21201
For next: 3542

Since: 9.12.01
From: Alpha Centauri

Since last post: 3332 days
Last activity: 916 days
AIM:  
ICQ:  
#2 Posted on 26.5.04 0147.07
Reposted on: 26.5.11 0147.22
Actually, truth be told, I did a pretty piss-poor job of doing things quickly. Between work, getting a car serviced, and falling asleep (oops) while waiting on a data transfer, it took ages.

On the other hand, with the board down, we probably all got to spend some time with loved ones. Right. RIGHT? <crickets>... Judging by how quickly you guys were pounding it after it came back, I can only assume none of you HAVE loved ones, sadly. <grin>

... Adam
Whitebacon
Boudin blanc
Level: 94

Posts: 1211/2467
EXP: 8296310
For next: 60378

Since: 12.1.02
From: Fresno, CA

Since last post: 3 days
Last activity: 1 day
AIM:  
ICQ:  
#3 Posted on 26.5.04 0148.54
Reposted on: 26.5.11 0150.08
    Originally posted by infinitum
    Actually, truth be told, I did a pretty piss-poor job of doing things quickly. Between work, getting a car serviced, and falling asleep (oops) while waiting on a data transfer, it took ages.

    On the other hand, with the board down, we probably all got to spend some time with loved ones. Right. RIGHT? ... Judging by how quickly you guys were pounding it after it came back, I can only assume none of you HAVE loved ones, sadly.

    ... Adam




They're all asleep right now, thankyouverymuch. But yes, I sat in the living room tonight and watched the American Idol finals with the family, and also a repeat of SVU. Good, quality time.
Guru Zim
SQL Dejection
Administrator
Level: 138

Posts: 2408/5997
EXP: 31559941
For next: 103119

Since: 9.12.01
From: Bay City, OR

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 24 min.
AIM:  
#4 Posted on 26.5.04 0152.16
Reposted on: 26.5.11 0152.39
    Originally posted by infinitum
    Actually, truth be told, I did a pretty piss-poor job of doing things quickly. Between work, getting a car serviced, and falling asleep (oops) while waiting on a data transfer, it took ages.

    On the other hand, with the board down, we probably all got to spend some time with loved ones. Right. RIGHT? ... Judging by how quickly you guys were pounding it after it came back, I can only assume none of you HAVE loved ones, sadly.

    ... Adam



Yeah so much for keeping one of our admins in OZ on a crazy timezone.

Kidding! Thanks again for all of your help.
StaggerLee
Scrapple
Level: 139

Posts: 1453/6232
EXP: 32336534
For next: 130993

Since: 3.10.02
From: Right side of the tracks

Since last post: 5 hours
Last activity: 5 hours
AIM:  
Y!:
#5 Posted on 26.5.04 0319.38
Reposted on: 26.5.11 0319.43
Thanks guys for working so hard to get the site back up!
The Goon
Boudin blanc
Moderator
Level: 94

Posts: 777/2424
EXP: 8089384
For next: 267304

Since: 2.1.02
From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Since last post: 10 hours
Last activity: 4 hours
#6 Posted on 26.5.04 0630.39
Reposted on: 26.5.11 0633.08
I kinda just wandered around in a circle muttering to myself the past couple of days.
Gugs
Bierwurst
Level: 83

Posts: 1124/1857
EXP: 5312326
For next: 119918

Since: 9.7.02
From: Sleep (That's where I'm a viking)

Since last post: 435 days
Last activity: 27 days
AIM:  
Y!:
#7 Posted on 26.5.04 0712.39
Reposted on: 26.5.11 0712.46
Good news: The board is faster than I have ever seen it. Ever.

Bad news: The "Mark Forum Read" button doesn't work.

EDIT: Never mind, my fault. Damn you, Internet Explorer!

(edited by gugs on 26.5.04 0813)
spf
Scrapple
Level: 132

Posts: 2733/5402
EXP: 26910951
For next: 221053

Since: 2.1.02
From: The Las Vegas of Canada

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 29 min.
AIM:  
#8 Posted on 26.5.04 0907.16
Reposted on: 26.5.11 0908.00
    Originally posted by infinitum
    Actually, truth be told, I did a pretty piss-poor job of doing things quickly. Between work, getting a car serviced, and falling asleep (oops) while waiting on a data transfer, it took ages.

    On the other hand, with the board down, we probably all got to spend some time with loved ones. Right. RIGHT? ... Judging by how quickly you guys were pounding it after it came back, I can only assume none of you HAVE loved ones, sadly.

    ... Adam


But...but....this board is where all my loved ones are...*sniff* I don't know what I'd do without you....group hug?

Seriously though, the three of you go way above and beyond the call of duty for us Wien...I mean, us W people.
JayJayDean
Scrapple
Level: 125

Posts: 1271/4716
EXP: 21952339
For next: 501888

Since: 2.1.02
From: Seattle, WA

Since last post: 11 days
Last activity: 8 hours
AIM:  
Y!:
#9 Posted on 26.5.04 1157.50
Reposted on: 26.5.11 1159.01
I never updated my Favorites to the-w.com, and when I went to wienerboard.com this morning I got a 404 File Not Found message. (Of course, that could be intentional, I suppose.)
vsp
Andouille
Level: 87

Posts: 1748/2042
EXP: 6253887
For next: 138912

Since: 3.1.02
From: Philly

Since last post: 2951 days
Last activity: 165 days
#10 Posted on 26.5.04 1627.19
Reposted on: 26.5.11 1628.54
    Originally posted by JayJayDean
    I never updated my Favorites to the-w.com, and when I went to wienerboard.com this morning I got a 404 File Not Found message. (Of course, that could be intentional, I suppose.)


Likewise. The server meltdown had the fortuitous side effect of forcing lazy bastards like myself to update their bookmarks from wienerville.slashwrestling.com to the-w.com.

Lazy? Me? Nah, never.
Joe E. Nitro
Salami
Level: 32

Posts: 199/214
EXP: 193779
For next: 12665

Since: 4.2.04

Since last post: 3548 days
Last activity: 1029 days
#11 Posted on 26.5.04 2130.43
Reposted on: 26.5.11 2131.46
    Originally posted by CRZ
    Around 0305 (PDT) Sunday morning, our server experienced some rather horrendous SCSI problems which pretty much locked the whole thing up. We rebooted and it came up for...like another 45 minutes.

    I spent most of Sunday taking things apart, putting things together, swearing, and by that evening Aaron and I had decided to just give up and start over on a leased server.

    Monday, it came up, but we learned that the backups which we had fastidiously been making had actually stopped working right around the time that I made the name change.

    Fortunately, Aaron had a backup on his HOME computer, we still had all the scripts and the database was complete - except for about 24 hours, since our nightly backup starts at 0330. So any sparkling wit you shared with us on Saturday probably needs to be reposted.

    Massively large props go to our silent admin Adam for getting our custom setup up and running so quickly with very little notice - as well as reconstructing all our database tables in record time.

    There's probably more to tell but this is what you get for now. I got some more catching up to do...

    EDIT: Oh, right, my tasteless joke. "At least with the board not up, I didn't have to close another Owen Hart thread."

    (edited by CRZ on 25.5.04 2342)


I really don't understand much of this, for all I know a server could look like a Delorian, and you guys were just running around looking for plutonium. I am wondering though is this site no longer free for you guys to run. You guys aren't actually paying for this now are you? Also why didn't Slash and the Archives of recaps go down along with the board?




CRZ
Big Brother
Administrator
Level: 212

Posts: 4709/16117
EXP: 139046467
For next: 1989319

Since: 9.12.01
From: ミネアポリス

Since last post: 2 hours
Last activity: 2 hours
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#12 Posted on 26.5.04 2138.48
Reposted on: 26.5.11 2138.56
    Originally posted by Joe E. Nitro
    I really don't understand much of this, for all I know a server could look like a Delorian, and you guys were just running around looking for plutonium. I am wondering though is this site no longer free for you guys to run. You guys aren't actually paying for this now are you? Also why didn't Slash and the Archives of recaps go down along with the board?





Yes, our free ride is over for now.

slashwrestling.com was hosted on the CRZ.net box, which didn't go down. That one's probably gone at the end of the month, though, so I've started some consolidation to get all my sites onto the same server. (If you have been having problems TODAY getting to CRZ.net, slashwrestling.com or any of the other sites...this is why)
Oliver
Scrapple
Level: 126

Posts: 834/4900
EXP: 22817689
For next: 266478

Since: 20.6.02
From: #YEG

Since last post: 1 hour
Last activity: 1 hour
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#13 Posted on 27.5.04 1605.58
Reposted on: 27.5.11 1606.22
    Originally posted by CRZ
    Yes, our free ride is over for now.

    slashwrestling.com was hosted on the CRZ.net box, which didn't go down. That one's probably gone at the end of the month, though, so I've started some consolidation to get all my sites onto the same server. (If you have been having problems TODAY getting to CRZ.net, slashwrestling.com or any of the other sites...this is why)
...and that would explain the DONATE button on the front page?

If someone wanted to donate, but didn't care to use Paypal (or lacked the US bank account or credit cards) would you be able to pass along a donation?
infinitum
He's got all the keys anyway
Level: 17

Posts: 40/46
EXP: 21201
For next: 3542

Since: 9.12.01
From: Alpha Centauri

Since last post: 3332 days
Last activity: 916 days
AIM:  
ICQ:  
#14 Posted on 27.5.04 1844.09
Reposted on: 27.5.11 1844.42
    Originally posted by SOK
    If someone wanted to donate, but didn't care to use Paypal (or lacked the US bank account or credit cards) would you be able to pass along a donation?


I assume you do online banking with a Canadian bank? If so, you could do an email money transfer to me (Adam Conrad <adconrad@0c3.net>), and I can make sure the Zims get it.

... Adam

// edit: Uhh, ignore the Australian flag up there, if you're confused. Yes, I live in Australia right now, but I still have two Canadian bank accounts that I use all the time.

// edit2: I also have an Australian bank account, for any Australian residents who may want to donate via electronic transfer here.

(edited by infinitum on 28.5.04 0947)
CRZ
Big Brother
Administrator
Level: 212

Posts: 4713/16117
EXP: 139046467
For next: 1989319

Since: 9.12.01
From: ミネアポリス

Since last post: 2 hours
Last activity: 2 hours
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#15 Posted on 27.5.04 1941.38
Reposted on: 27.5.11 1941.40
    Originally posted by SOK
    If someone wanted to donate, but didn't care to use Paypal (or lacked the US bank account or credit cards) would you be able to pass along a donation?
Sure, use the PO Box:

C R Zimmerman
PO Box 28207
San Jose, CA 95159-8207
USA

Please let me know WHO YOU ARE (username is fine) since I'm learning I have no idea who someone is just by their email address. :)
ALL ORIGINAL POSTS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Thread ahead: New Rules
Next thread: Thread closed?
Previous thread: old forums
(386 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
The 7 - the-w.com Site Feedback - What happenedRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board - 7 year recycle

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim
This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.158 seconds.