The W
Views: 101510592
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Color chart | Log in for more!
21.12.07 1255
The 7 - Football - Celebrations
This thread has 1 referral leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Pages: 1 2 Next(901 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (24 total)
Swordsman Yen
Frankfurter
Level: 56

Posts: 705/745
EXP: 1392688
For next: 5497

Since: 16.2.02
From: Shaolin

Since last post: 3996 days
Last activity: 3979 days
#1 Posted on 15.12.03 0800.14
Reposted on: 15.12.10 0806.14
Well, looks like the NFL league office will be busy handing out fines this week for stupid TD celebrations between TO's snow tossing celebration, Chad Johnson's sign, and Joe Horn's cell phone. Somewhere, Vince McMahon is saying to himself, "We had all that planned for season 2! Damn NFL stealing my ideas!"
Promote this thread!
Gugs
Bierwurst
Level: 83

Posts: 790/1857
EXP: 5397039
For next: 35205

Since: 9.7.02
From: Sleep (That's where I'm a viking)

Since last post: 577 days
Last activity: 27 days
AIM:  
Y!:
#2 Posted on 15.12.03 0855.16
Reposted on: 15.12.10 0858.33
Chad Johnson's was funny, and the NFL needs to poke a little fun at itself sometimes. TO's was also funny, but maybe that's because it caused flashbacks to people throwing snow at Foxboro. Joe Horn, though, is an idiot. I understand calling your folks when you score when you know they're watching, but isn't that what the sideline phone is for?
Grimis
Scrapple
Level: 124

Posts: 2591/4700
EXP: 21725603
For next: 111059

Since: 11.7.02
From: MD

Since last post: 1328 days
Last activity: 1125 days
#3 Posted on 15.12.03 0859.30
Reposted on: 15.12.10 0900.38
Speaking of celebrations, did anybody else see Koren Robinson get flagged for taunint for allegedly spiking the ball at the feet of a defender? It was asinine, he just happened to spike the ball wihtin three-feet of a defender.

No Fun League for a reason...
JayJayDean
Scrapple
Level: 125

Posts: 803/4730
EXP: 22387535
For next: 66692

Since: 2.1.02
From: Seattle, WA

Since last post: 6 days
Last activity: 13 hours
AIM:  
Y!:
#4 Posted on 15.12.03 0904.24
Reposted on: 15.12.10 0904.26
    Originally posted by Grimis
    Speaking of celebrations, did anybody else see Koren Robinson get flagged for taunint for allegedly spiking the ball at the feet of a defender? It was asinine, he just happened to spike the ball wihtin three-feet of a defender.

    No Fun League for a reason...


That was Darrell Jackson, actually. Nevermind that he had taken three steps with the ball and Aeneas Williams still gave him a little shot.

P.S. Damn the back judge and his two left feet. DAMN HIM TO HELL!

(edited by JayJayDean on 15.12.03 0744)
Gugs
Bierwurst
Level: 83

Posts: 791/1857
EXP: 5397039
For next: 35205

Since: 9.7.02
From: Sleep (That's where I'm a viking)

Since last post: 577 days
Last activity: 27 days
AIM:  
Y!:
#5 Posted on 15.12.03 0938.56
Reposted on: 15.12.10 0939.23
    Originally posted by JayJayDean
    P.S. Damn the back judge and his two left feet. DAMN HIM TO HELL!


So that's potentially two wins the refs have taken from Seattle this year, right? If they miss the playoffs I think there will be some caffeine-feuled rioting going on in the Emerald City.
evilwaldo
Lap cheong
Level: 78

Posts: 1258/1597
EXP: 4375397
For next: 6848

Since: 7.2.02
From: New York, NY

Since last post: 3467 days
Last activity: 3247 days
AIM:  
#6 Posted on 15.12.03 0945.19
Reposted on: 15.12.10 0946.56
I don't mind the celebrations but the NFL is doing the fines for a reason. 10 to 15 years ago touchdown celebrations were becoming taunts against fans and the other team which is why the NFL cut them out. To me it doesn't make a difference if a guy wants to act stupid in the end zone when he scores a touchdown as long as it doesn't taunt the fans or opposing players.
The Thrill
Banger
Level: 99

Posts: 733/2781
EXP: 9981884
For next: 18151

Since: 16.4.02
From: Green Bay, WI

Since last post: 248 days
Last activity: 94 days
#7 Posted on 15.12.03 1037.04
Reposted on: 15.12.10 1037.28
    Originally posted by gugs
    If they miss the playoffs I think there will be some caffeine-feuled rioting going on in the Emerald City.


Oh, is the WTO back in town? (rimshot)

*ducks*
Grimis
Scrapple
Level: 124

Posts: 2592/4700
EXP: 21725603
For next: 111059

Since: 11.7.02
From: MD

Since last post: 1328 days
Last activity: 1125 days
#8 Posted on 15.12.03 1047.57
Reposted on: 15.12.10 1048.27
    Originally posted by gugs
    So that's potentially two wins the refs have taken from Seattle this year, right?
I'm sorry, the refs can't take the blame for the Ravens game when the Seahawks were up 17 with six minutes left in the fourth quarter...
DrewDewce
Bratwurst
Level: 73

Posts: 468/1348
EXP: 3406048
For next: 79837

Since: 2.1.02
From: The Derby City

Since last post: 77 days
Last activity: 6 days
Y!:
#9 Posted on 15.12.03 1142.49
Reposted on: 15.12.10 1143.11
I don't think the refs have taken them, so much as played a small part in them, when they should have no impact whatsoever (other than doing their job properly). The refs should be invisible, but that's two games which we as Seahawk fans, and other casual observers will get to know a referee's name and see them on the highlights. Never a good thing for anyone.

The Seahawks' playoffs begin next week now . . .
DrDirt
Banger
Level: 97

Posts: 298/2708
EXP: 9014680
For next: 302678

Since: 8.10.03
From: flyover country

Since last post: 17 days
Last activity: 2 days
#10 Posted on 15.12.03 1421.14
Reposted on: 15.12.10 1421.34
If these players spent as much time working on their game as planning celebrations, maybe their teams might, you know, be in the playoffs.
Swordsman Yen
Frankfurter
Level: 56

Posts: 706/745
EXP: 1392688
For next: 5497

Since: 16.2.02
From: Shaolin

Since last post: 3996 days
Last activity: 3979 days
#11 Posted on 15.12.03 1839.56
Reposted on: 15.12.10 1840.11
We might as well just station microphones on each end zone and give each player who scores a TD 5 seconds to celebrate and use the mic to say his piece. If the celebrating player exceeds his time, the other team can send a player after him to take a shot without a penalty or fine. There, a solution that makes everybody happy! ;)
Battlezone
Potato korv
Level: 54

Posts: 237/696
EXP: 1206125
For next: 27752

Since: 27.2.03
From: Seattle, Washington

Since last post: 2204 days
Last activity: 23 days
AIM:  
Y!:
#12 Posted on 16.12.03 1204.58
Reposted on: 16.12.10 1206.54
    Originally posted by Grimis
      Originally posted by gugs
      So that's potentially two wins the refs have taken from Seattle this year, right?
    I'm sorry, the refs can't take the blame for the Ravens game when the Seahawks were up 17 with six minutes left in the fourth quarter...


Nor can they when the ball is thrown into TRIPLE COVERAGE. That ball wasn't being caught, ref or no ref.

And an interesting side note-on the NFL Channel yesterday, Rich Eisen had an interview with the head of officiating, and he discussed the Joe Horn incident, as well as the Seahawks incident:

-On the Horn incident, the league instituted a rule after Sharpiegate that said if a player uses an foreign object in a celebration, that would get an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. He said that under that rule, TO would have been flagged for the Sharpie, but not for the pom-pom incident. Furthermore, if the foreign object is physically on the player, not only is there a penalty, but that player will be ejected from the game.

-On the Seahawk incident, he said that the ref did the correct thing, as replays show that he was trying to get out of the way, but he "tripped over his own feet" on the turf. And he was in the proper position on the field. He also pointed out that the refs are indeed part of the field, and pointed out several instances where a ref has been used by a receiver to shield a defender to make a catch, or used as an extra blocker.

dMr
Andouille
Level: 90

Posts: 976/2215
EXP: 6940066
For next: 248570

Since: 2.11.02
From: Edinburgh, Scotland

Since last post: 11 days
Last activity: 12 min.
#13 Posted on 16.12.03 1503.08
Reposted on: 16.12.10 1505.59
    Originally posted by gugs
    Chad Johnson's was funny, and the NFL needs to poke a little fun at itself sometimes. TO's was also funny, but maybe that's because it caused flashbacks to people throwing snow at Foxboro. Joe Horn, though, is an idiot. I understand calling your folks when you score when you know they're watching, but isn't that what the sideline phone is for?


Chad Johnson's was indeed hilarious. If he gets fined it'll be one of the dumbest things the leagues done in quite a while. It's entertainment, and that enterained while causing pretty minimal offence to opponents.

I don't even see the gree hoohah about Horn's. The guy pretended to make a phone call. Big wowsers. How is that rubbing more disrespectful to the opposition than what Portis got up to with his shiny little belt and his post match trash talking last week?

Its the sort of behaviour that should probably be frowned upon and he deserves a ticking off but I just don't see that he deserves to be castigated for it. I guess he can afford the fines though.

    Originally posted by Battlezone
    -On the Horn incident, the league instituted a rule after Sharpiegate that said if a player uses an foreign object in a celebration, that would get an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. He said that under that rule, TO would have been flagged for the Sharpie, but not for the pom-pom incident. Furthermore, if the foreign object is physically on the player, not only is there a penalty, but that player will be ejected from the game.


I really don't get how pom poms are any more or less foreign than a mobile phone. Funnier yes, more foreign, no. I mean does a guy not get ejected if he has pom poms secreted somewhere because they're not foreign in the first place? What a silly rule.

And the 'Seahawk incident' as I understood it in the Ravens game was that the refs forgot to restart the game clock at one point, allowing the Ravens an extra half minute or so they needed to take the game to OT. An error that was admitted (and described as 'administrative') by the NFL, resulting in a fine for the crew involved.

Granted the Seahawks shouldn't be throwing away big leads to an offense with no tangible QB, but it doesn't make the call any less shitty, and I can be damned sure if that call cost my team a game I'd be pissed.
Battlezone
Potato korv
Level: 54

Posts: 238/696
EXP: 1206125
For next: 27752

Since: 27.2.03
From: Seattle, Washington

Since last post: 2204 days
Last activity: 23 days
AIM:  
Y!:
#14 Posted on 16.12.03 1524.45
Reposted on: 16.12.10 1527.53
    Originally posted by dMr

    I really don't get how pom poms are any more or less foreign than a mobile phone. Funnier yes, more foreign, no. I mean does a guy not get ejected if he has pom poms secreted somewhere because they're not foreign in the first place? What a silly rule.

    And the 'Seahawk incident' as I understood it in the Ravens game was that the refs forgot to restart the game clock at one point, allowing the Ravens an extra half minute or so they needed to take the game to OT. An error that was admitted (and described as 'administrative') by the NFL, resulting in a fine for the crew involved.

    Granted the Seahawks shouldn't be throwing away big leads to an offense with no tangible QB, but it doesn't make the call any less shitty, and I can be damned sure if that call cost my team a game I'd be pissed.


The "Seahawk Incident" I was referring to was from Sunday's Rams/Hawks game, not the Ravens game.

I think what the league is trying to crack down on is the premeditated, overblown celebrations. The reason (IMO) why TO grabbing the cheerleader's pom-poms wasn't overboard was because it was spontaneous. And the cheerleaders are a part of the game. A cell phone is not. Even Portis' posturing with the Big Gold Belt was on the sidelines, and not in the end zone. The league has said (and it was reiterated in this interview) that they don't have a problem with spontaneous celebrations, but it crosses the line when players start planning these big elaborate celebrations ahead of time. As Tony K. said on PTI, "what's next? A guy scores a touchdown, runs down into the tunnel and comes out with circus elephants and midgets?"

Although that would TOTALLY rule.
dMr
Andouille
Level: 90

Posts: 979/2215
EXP: 6940066
For next: 248570

Since: 2.11.02
From: Edinburgh, Scotland

Since last post: 11 days
Last activity: 12 min.
#15 Posted on 16.12.03 1549.20
Reposted on: 16.12.10 1550.03
    Originally posted by Battlezone
    The "Seahawk Incident" I was referring to was from Sunday's Rams/Hawks game, not the Ravens game.


Oops, that one totally passed me by. I'm now somewhat updated courtesy of the wonder of nfl.com.

    Originally posted by Battlezone
    Even Portis' posturing with the Big Gold Belt was on the sidelines, and not in the end zone. The league has said (and it was reiterated in this interview) that they don't have a problem with spontaneous celebrations, but it crosses the line when players start planning these big elaborate celebrations ahead of time.


I still don't get what difference where Portis was makes as it was neither spontaneous (at least I think the belt was his. Could be wrong) nor respectful.


    As Tony K. said on PTI, "what's next? A guy scores a touchdown, runs down into the tunnel and comes out with circus elephants and midgets?"

    Although that would TOTALLY rule.


Would it ever

And unless the player has the elephants and midgets on his person then thats just 15 yards, right? Anyone got TO's number.....
Battlezone
Potato korv
Level: 54

Posts: 239/696
EXP: 1206125
For next: 27752

Since: 27.2.03
From: Seattle, Washington

Since last post: 2204 days
Last activity: 23 days
AIM:  
Y!:
#16 Posted on 17.12.03 1717.11
Reposted on: 17.12.10 1717.51
Well, the league handed down a $10,000 fine to Chad Johnson for his sign stunt, and a whopping $30,000 fine to Joe Horn, which is about two-thirds of his game check. But the most interesting quote came from Horn's agent, Ralph Vitolo:

"Fining him is one thing, but to me that's very excessive. This is not a murder case," Vitolo said.

Well, SURE. I mean, murder is at LEAST a two-game suspension, right?

(edited by Battlezone on 17.12.03 1517)
King Of Crap
Goetta
Level: 38

Posts: 80/309
EXP: 348357
For next: 22093

Since: 17.9.03
From: Holley, New York

Since last post: 3536 days
Last activity: 3467 days
AIM:  
#17 Posted on 17.12.03 1803.19
Reposted on: 17.12.10 1806.02
The only problem I had with an endzone celebration was TJ Duckett dancing with his team down 31-6. What an idiot.

I don't think players should be fined for celebration, if they want to act like idiots, they should be able to, and the rest of us can laugh our asses off.

The Chad Johnson fining was total BS.
evilwaldo
Lap cheong
Level: 78

Posts: 1265/1597
EXP: 4375397
For next: 6848

Since: 7.2.02
From: New York, NY

Since last post: 3467 days
Last activity: 3247 days
AIM:  
#18 Posted on 18.12.03 0923.02
Reposted on: 18.12.10 0923.39
    Originally posted by King Of Crap
    The only problem I had with an endzone celebration was TJ Duckett dancing with his team down 31-6. What an idiot.

    I don't think players should be fined for celebration, if they want to act like idiots, they should be able to, and the rest of us can laugh our asses off.

    The Chad Johnson fining was total BS.


If guys start dancing when they are down 31-6 the public address announcer should come on and say "yo dog, check the scoreboard!!! Why you dancin' fool???"
chuckc14
Summer sausage
Level: 46

Posts: 356/453
EXP: 663525
For next: 48254

Since: 2.1.02
From: Nashville

Since last post: 3238 days
Last activity: 1627 days
#19 Posted on 18.12.03 1010.43
Reposted on: 18.12.10 1011.07
    Originally posted by Battlezone
    Well, the league handed down a $10,000 fine to Chad Johnson for his sign stunt, and a whopping $30,000 fine to Joe Horn, which is about two-thirds of his game check. But the most interesting quote came from Horn's agent, Ralph Vitolo:

    "Fining him is one thing, but to me that's very excessive. This is not a murder case," Vitolo said.

    Well, SURE. I mean, murder is at LEAST a two-game suspension, right?

    (edited by Battlezone on 17.12.03 1517)


They also fined the guy that found Horn's cell phone for him 5k, calling him an "accomplice"...making it sound more and more like a "murder case" like you said...
Ffej
Boudin rouge
Level: 48

Posts: 373/513
EXP: 798537
For next: 25011

Since: 15.1.02
From: Flatwoods, KY

Since last post: 2381 days
Last activity: 691 days
Y!:
#20 Posted on 18.12.03 1140.12
Reposted on: 18.12.10 1140.31
    Originally posted by Battlezone
    Well, SURE. I mean, murder is at LEAST a two-game suspension, right?




Not if your Ray Lewis. Then murder is a Super Bowl MVP trophy and a big fur coat. *rimshot*

(edited by Ffej on 18.12.03 1240)
Pages: 1 2 NextThread ahead: White to return?
Next thread: Teams That Need New Coaches
Previous thread: Fassel proclaimed lame duck - last two games should be interesting
(901 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Related threads: Who should be NFL Coach of the Year - NFL Throwbacks You'll See on Turkey Day - NFL Playoff seedings after week 11 - More...
The 7 - Football - CelebrationsRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board - 7 year recycle

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim
This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.243 seconds.