The W
Views: 98290477
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Color chart | Log in for more!
19.8.07 2359
The 7 - Football - CFL Playoffs
This thread has 1 referral leading to it
Register and log in to post!
(868 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (10 total)
The Goon
5-time W of the Day!
Moderator
Level: 94

Posts: 578/2425
EXP: 8110309
For next: 246379

Since: 2.1.02
From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Since last post: 14 days
Last activity: 1 day
#1 Posted on 4.11.03 1351.37
Reposted on: 4.11.10 1352.22
I can't believe there isn't already a thread!

Now that the Riders have downed Winnipeg and the Argos have dispatched the Lions, we have our conference finals:

West: Saskatchewan vs. Edmonton
East: Toronto vs. Montreal

I am predicting upsets in both matches. I can see Saskatchewan squeaking by the Eskimos, and going to the Grey Cup on their home field.

While Montreal beat Toronto in this same matchup last year, the Argos manhandled les Alouettes just three weeks ago.

I must also admit that a Roughriders-Argonauts Grey Cup intrigues me as my roommate is from Saskatchewan and I'm from Toronto.
Promote this thread!
BigVitoMark
Lap cheong
Level: 76

Posts: 579/1509
EXP: 3885134
For next: 120945

Since: 10.8.02
From: Queen's University, Canada

Since last post: 3313 days
Last activity: 3223 days
ICQ:  
#2 Posted on 4.11.03 2152.27
Reposted on: 4.11.10 2152.33
I'm cheering for the Eskimos, simply because they've managed to slide under the political correctness radar for so long.
MARTYEWR
Kishke
Level: 44

Posts: 179/420
EXP: 566174
For next: 45115

Since: 15.10.02

Since last post: 228 days
Last activity: 228 days
#3 Posted on 5.11.03 1110.28
Reposted on: 5.11.10 1110.45
I'm predicting both home teams to win this week. Toronto looked great against Montreal three weeks ago and last week against B.C., but for some reason, they're a better team at home than on the road. It'll be much tougher for them on the road, and on the cement at Stade Olympique. Alouettes should get their revenge and win easily.

As for the West, it should be closer, but Edmonton should prevail. Nealon Greene was great last week, but I think Ricky Ray and the Esks have the best all-around team in the CFL right now. They're my pick to win the Grey Cup this year.

(edited by MARTYEWR on 11.11.03 1933)
The Goon
5-time W of the Day!
Moderator
Level: 94

Posts: 584/2425
EXP: 8110309
For next: 246379

Since: 2.1.02
From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Since last post: 14 days
Last activity: 1 day
#4 Posted on 10.11.03 1455.49
Reposted on: 10.11.10 1456.39
MARTYEWR, you hit your picks perfectly. Damn.

Your 2003 Grey Cup is set. Taylor Field, Regina, SK, this Sunday afternoon.

The defending champions, the Montreal Alouettes, look to retain their championship against the team they beat last year, the Western Champion Edmonton Eskimos.

The eastern final was as good a game as you'll see in any league of football this year. The Argos lost on a controversial touchdown when Cavillo ran in himself. But it certainly wasn't the blowout Montreal was expecting.

And if the Riders had played more than the last five minutes of the game, who knows what would have happened in the western final?

Predictions for the Grey Cup? I can see both teams with strong running games and with some holes defensively. I will say Edmonton, because they may be able to react better to the conditions that Regina in November might bring. But it will be a close game, let's say 33-30.
Grimis
Scrapple
Level: 124

Posts: 2445/4700
EXP: 21428283
For next: 408379

Since: 11.7.02
From: MD

Since last post: 1205 days
Last activity: 1002 days
#5 Posted on 10.11.03 1458.39
Reposted on: 10.11.10 1459.04
LET'S GO STALLIONS!!!! LET'S GO STALLIONS!!!!!

(Whaddaya mean Baltimore doesn't have a team anymore?)
The Goon
5-time W of the Day!
Moderator
Level: 94

Posts: 585/2425
EXP: 8110309
For next: 246379

Since: 2.1.02
From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Since last post: 14 days
Last activity: 1 day
#6 Posted on 10.11.03 1502.01
Reposted on: 10.11.10 1502.50
The Stallions won the Grey Cup the last time it was at Taylor Field(1995), and then became the Montreal Alouettes. So maybe they have the magic touch for Regina again?

Funny, I just heard a story on the radio that there are a group of Baltimore Stallion fans who still get together every year and travel up north for the Grey Cup. That's pretty cool.
Bullitt
Shot in the dark
Level: 85

Posts: 948/1917
EXP: 5694941
For next: 203623

Since: 11.1.02
From: Houston

Since last post: 13 days
Last activity: 13 days
#7 Posted on 11.11.03 1644.00
Reposted on: 11.11.10 1646.22
    Originally posted by The Goon
    I will say Edmonton, because they may be able to react better to the conditions that Regina in November might bring.


Keep in mind that last year's Grey Cup in Edmonton was played in MISERABLE cold weather...and Montreal pulled that out. I honestly don't think one team would benefit over the other if it's a sloppy track...both are outdoor teams.

Having said that, I hate the CFL with the "white-hot intensity of a thousand suns," and anyone living in Calgary cannot, in their right mind, cheer for any team from Edmonton, no matter what the situation, ever...so I'll take Montreal to win another close one.
MARTYEWR
Kishke
Level: 44

Posts: 182/420
EXP: 566174
For next: 45115

Since: 15.10.02

Since last post: 228 days
Last activity: 228 days
#8 Posted on 11.11.03 1832.38
Reposted on: 11.11.10 1835.01
    Originally posted by The Goon
    MARTYEWR, you hit your picks perfectly. Damn.

    Your 2003 Grey Cup is set. Taylor Field, Regina, SK, this Sunday afternoon.

    The defending champions, the Montreal Alouettes, look to retain their championship against the team they beat last year, the Western Champion Edmonton Eskimos.

    The eastern final was as good a game as you'll see in any league of football this year. The Argos lost on a controversial touchdown when Cavillo ran in himself. But it certainly wasn't the blowout Montreal was expecting.

    And if the Riders had played more than the last five minutes of the game, who knows what would have happened in the western final?

    Predictions for the Grey Cup? I can see both teams with strong running games and with some holes defensively. I will say Edmonton, because they may be able to react better to the conditions that Regina in November might bring. But it will be a close game, let's say 33-30.


Well, I wouldn't say it was right on. Toronto kept that game closer than I would've imagined. At least when Allen retires, they have their quarterback of the future in Marcus Brady. Maybe them and my Renegades (yeah, I know, I don't really own them) will be battling for the East when Montreal finally gets old and stuff.

And I think the Grey Cup will be close, with Edmonton winning too.
The Goon
5-time W of the Day!
Moderator
Level: 94

Posts: 594/2425
EXP: 8110309
For next: 246379

Since: 2.1.02
From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Since last post: 14 days
Last activity: 1 day
#9 Posted on 14.11.03 1029.11
Reposted on: 14.11.10 1030.38
    Originally posted by Bullitt


      Keep in mind that last year's Grey Cup in Edmonton was played in MISERABLE cold weather...and Montreal pulled that out. I honestly don't think one team would benefit over the other if it's a sloppy track...both are outdoor teams.

      Having said that, I hate the CFL with the "white-hot intensity of a thousand suns," and anyone living in Calgary cannot, in their right mind, cheer for any team from Edmonton, no matter what the situation, ever...so I'll take Montreal to win another close one.



    Hmm...so I'm not allowed to cheer for Edmonton, and I can't stand Montreal. I'd best sit this one out. At least my roommate(who is flying to Regina today) will have a good party.

    With your hatred of the CFL, you sound like a Torontonian!
MARTYEWR
Kishke
Level: 44

Posts: 187/420
EXP: 566174
For next: 45115

Since: 15.10.02

Since last post: 228 days
Last activity: 228 days
#10 Posted on 15.11.03 1109.53
Reposted on: 15.11.10 1114.29
    Originally posted by Grimis
    LET'S GO STALLIONS!!!! LET'S GO STALLIONS!!!!!

    (Whaddaya mean Baltimore doesn't have a team anymore?)


Hey Grimis, did you go to any Stallions games back in the day? If so, how was the atmosphere?
ALL ORIGINAL POSTS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Thread ahead: NFL Playoff seedings after week 11
Next thread: Chiefs lose, Bob Griese smiles
Previous thread: WEEK 10 = Upset Sunday
(868 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Related threads: Les Alouettes sont les champs du Coupe Grey - Grey Cup Prediction Thread - Fan attacks player during CFL game - More...
The 7 - Football - CFL PlayoffsRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board - 7 year recycle

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim
This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.167 seconds.