The W
Views: 100032813
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Color chart | Log in for more!
25.10.07 0745
The 7 - Random - Major Computer Problem, Please Help
This thread has 1 referral leading to it
Register and log in to post!
(1762 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (16 total)
Net Hack Slasher
Banger
Level: 100

Posts: 1624/2805
EXP: 10157131
For next: 197301

Since: 6.1.02
From: Outer reaches of your mind

Since last post: 3591 days
Last activity: 2011 days
#1 Posted on 28.10.03 0830.10
Reposted on: 28.10.10 0831.01
Let me get the basics out first. I'm on Windows 98, IE 5.5

While on IE, I keep getting the big blue screen message. Sure that happens once in a while before but it's happening all the time now. I think i downloaded something funky from a pop-up by accident that's getting me this.

The blue screen is giving me a message of "A fatal exception 0D (or 0E at times) has occured at (long number and a C end of it). The current application will be terminated". on the screen

Majority of the time i have to reboot my computer because pressing any key doesn't help but sometimes the blue screen dissapears and I get this error message "KERNEL32 caused a general protection fault in module KRNL385.EXE at (then a long number)... But I have to reboot the computer then because I can't get rid of the error box

Anybody knows how I can fix it, I would appreciated it so much

edit in: with more detail

(edited by Net Hack Slasher on 28.10.03 0933)
Promote this thread!
Socks
Landjager
Level: 61

Posts: 562/888
EXP: 1775998
For next: 100609

Since: 25.6.02
From: Ottawa

Since last post: 823 days
Last activity: 436 days
#2 Posted on 28.10.03 1319.33
Reposted on: 28.10.10 1320.15
    Originally posted by Net Hack Slasher
    Let me get the basics out first. I'm on Windows 98, IE 5.5

    While on IE, I keep getting the big blue screen message. Sure that happens once in a while before but it's happening all the time now. I think i downloaded something funky from a pop-up by accident that's getting me this.

    The blue screen is giving me a message of "A fatal exception 0D (or 0E at times) has occured at (long number and a C end of it). The current application will be terminated". on the screen

    Majority of the time i have to reboot my computer because pressing any key doesn't help but sometimes the blue screen dissapears and I get this error message "KERNEL32 caused a general protection fault in module KRNL385.EXE at (then a long number)... But I have to reboot the computer then because I can't get rid of the error box

    Anybody knows how I can fix it, I would appreciated it so much

    edit in: with more detail

    (edited by Net Hack Slasher on 28.10.03 0933)


Blue Screen of Death huh?

Well, Umm, there are ways to fix it, but in the end it would be easier to format. Take less time too!

Actually try this....

Reboot and Hit F8
Choose MS-DOS
it will boot only to DOS.

Once in the command prompt type in

Scanreg /restore (make sure a space between scanreg and /)

It will then offer you a blue screen with a few restore points, choose one of them and restore the PC back to that date.

I think that's about it....

DJ FrostyFreeze
Knackwurst
Level: 108

Posts: 1234/3381
EXP: 13447365
For next: 73178

Since: 2.1.02
From: Hawthorne, CA

Since last post: 9 hours
Last activity: 8 hours
#3 Posted on 28.10.03 1417.10
Reposted on: 28.10.10 1419.59
What exactly does that do? Just curious.
Keeper
Italian
Moderator
Level: 35

Posts: 123/245
EXP: 260675
For next: 19263

Since: 1.3.02
From: Worcester, MA

Since last post: 391 days
Last activity: 15 hours
#4 Posted on 28.10.03 1442.00
Reposted on: 28.10.10 1443.23
I can't find anything on the KRNL385.EXE in Google (on the web or the newsgroups) or on the Microsoft support site. I am running Windows 98 SE with IE 5.5 SP2 here at work, and I don't even have that file on my computer. Try to find what program this file is associated with, that could be your problem.

Also, it could possibly be a virus, but if it was, I am pretty sure a Google search would have turned up something.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

    Originally posted by DJ FrostyFreeze
    What exactly does that do? Just curious.


This site explains it pretty well. :)
Socks
Landjager
Level: 61

Posts: 563/888
EXP: 1775998
For next: 100609

Since: 25.6.02
From: Ottawa

Since last post: 823 days
Last activity: 436 days
#5 Posted on 28.10.03 2147.01
Reposted on: 28.10.10 2148.43
    Originally posted by Keeper
    I can't find anything on the KRNL385.EXE in Google (on the web or the newsgroups) or on the Microsoft support site. I am running Windows 98 SE with IE 5.5 SP2 here at work, and I don't even have that file on my computer. Try to find what program this file is associated with, that could be your problem.

    Also, it could possibly be a virus, but if it was, I am pretty sure a Google search would have turned up something.

    Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

      Originally posted by DJ FrostyFreeze
      What exactly does that do? Just curious.


    This site explains it pretty well. :)


I think it was a typo...it should read krnl386.exe

If that is the case then the commander of the ship is going down. Try to associate Kernel with Colonel, the high commander. When he starts to mess up...then you are in touble.
Net Hack Slasher
Banger
Level: 100

Posts: 1630/2805
EXP: 10157131
For next: 197301

Since: 6.1.02
From: Outer reaches of your mind

Since last post: 3591 days
Last activity: 2011 days
#6 Posted on 29.10.03 1101.54
Reposted on: 29.10.10 1101.59
I probably should have added that I'm a complete computer moron who knows very little on how it works.

krnl386.exe/Krnl385.exe talk I'm wrote down 385 of course it could have been a typo on my part. When the blue screen pops up I press any key most of the time the computer just turns black and I have to restart if from the main computer box button (told you I'm a computer moron LoL)... Some times if i keep pressing any key that krnl thing pops up.

Socks your first post about the Dos thing and restore PC to previous dates. Will I lose all my word files and other stuff that's on my computer after that date?

As for your second post -If that is the case then the commander of the ship is going down. Try to associate Kernel with Colonel, the high commander. When he starts to mess up. then you are in touble... This is very scary reading LoL. What does this mean.

EDIT IN: Socks is correct, it is krnl386.exe which is now making me really scared... I also should add, since this happen I'm getting pop-ups ever time I log into IE with my homepage (Yahoo).



(edited by Net Hack Slasher on 29.10.03 1220)
Socks
Landjager
Level: 61

Posts: 564/888
EXP: 1775998
For next: 100609

Since: 25.6.02
From: Ottawa

Since last post: 823 days
Last activity: 436 days
#7 Posted on 29.10.03 1352.50
Reposted on: 29.10.10 1353.54
Kernel386.exe is pretty important. When Windows is first installed it creates a folder called I386. That folder carries all system critical files. Not a good thing if it starts to mess up.

As for the restore options, I would like to say that you are safe from losing any "Word" documents, but I can't. It is almost like a last resort, so back up what you can, and use the restore option. If that doesn't work out, you are looking at a fresh install of Windows.

Good luck....
tarnish
Frankfurter
Level: 60

Posts: 359/859
EXP: 1714371
For next: 58417

Since: 13.2.02
From: Back in the Heart of Hali

Since last post: 503 days
Last activity: 2 days
AIM:  
Y!:
#8 Posted on 29.10.03 1434.52
Reposted on: 29.10.10 1435.13
    Originally posted by Socks

    kernel386.exe is pretty important. When Windows is first installed it creates a folder called I386. That folder carries all system critical files. Not a good thing if it starts to mess up.



kernel386.exe is more than "pretty important," it's probably the single most important file from the system's point of view.

The kernel is the heart of the operating system around which all other parts are built; it is the software that interfaces directly with the hardware. Most modern operating systems have a kernel and a user interface. The kernel is the system itself and the user interface (or "shell," in the case of Windows it's called "explorer") is the user's way of telling the kernel what to do. The 386 indicates that the kernel runs on and Intel 386-based (a.k.a. x86) architecture. On an Alpha-based system, the kernel would likely be called kernelalpha.exe or something shorter (8.3) but similar.

If the kernel is the "heart" of the operating system, a General Protection Fault in the kernel is like cardiac arrest.

To quote a phrase, "Yer fucked, mate."

Restoring a Windows system is a loser's game; find a friend who knows these things and have them help you back up your files if they can (popping your hard drive into another machine would probably suffice). Then do a clean reinstall.
Socks
Landjager
Level: 61

Posts: 565/888
EXP: 1775998
For next: 100609

Since: 25.6.02
From: Ottawa

Since last post: 823 days
Last activity: 436 days
#9 Posted on 29.10.03 1539.21
Reposted on: 29.10.10 1539.42
    Originally posted by tarnish
      Originally posted by Socks

      kernel386.exe is pretty important. When Windows is first installed it creates a folder called I386. That folder carries all system critical files. Not a good thing if it starts to mess up.



    kernel386.exe is more than "pretty important," it's probably the single most important file from the system's point of view.

    The kernel is the heart of the operating system around which all other parts are built; it is the software that interfaces directly with the hardware. Most modern operating systems have a kernel and a user interface. The kernel is the system itself and the user interface (or "shell," in the case of Windows it's called "explorer") is the user's way of telling the kernel what to do. The 386 indicates that the kernel runs on and Intel 386-based (a.k.a. x86) architecture. On an Alpha-based system, the kernel would likely be called kernelalpha.exe or something shorter (8.3) but similar.

    If the kernel is the "heart" of the operating system, a General Protection Fault in the kernel is like cardiac arrest.

    To quote a phrase, "Yer fucked, mate."

    Restoring a Windows system is a loser's game; find a friend who knows these things and have them help you back up your files if they can (popping your hard drive into another machine would probably suffice). Then do a clean reinstall.




Hey....who you calling a loser? ha!
Tenken347
Boudin blanc
Level: 93

Posts: 270/2440
EXP: 7864549
For next: 188291

Since: 27.2.03
From: Parts Unknown

Since last post: 9 hours
Last activity: 42 min.
#10 Posted on 29.10.03 1552.24
Reposted on: 29.10.10 1553.59
If you think you downloaded something from a popup by accident, try Lavasoft's Ad-aware program. It finds and eliminates spyware and adware, and I swear by the program.
KoRnhornio
Longanisa
Level: 15

Posts: 15/35
EXP: 13853
For next: 2531

Since: 23.7.02

Since last post: 1299 days
Last activity: 17 hours
#11 Posted on 29.10.03 1843.44
Reposted on: 29.10.10 1844.07
    Originally posted by tarnish
    Restoring a Windows system is a loser's game; find a friend who knows these things and have them help you back up your files if they can (popping your hard drive into another machine would probably suffice). Then do a clean reinstall.


Especially Windows 98. When I was running Win98 I reinstalled every 3-4 months because it would get all slow and flaky so fast.

Net Hack Slasher: If/when you do end up reinstalling Windows, do yourself a favor and upgrade to Windows XP if your system can handle it. It tends to crash a LOT less than Win98 (I leave mine running 24-7 and I only reboot it when installing new software).
emma
Cherries > Peaches
Level: 87

Posts: 797/2086
EXP: 6368068
For next: 24731

Since: 1.8.02
From: Phoenix-ish

Since last post: 38 days
Last activity: 3 days
#12 Posted on 29.10.03 1845.46
Reposted on: 29.10.10 1847.30
    Originally posted by Net Hack Slasher
    Let me get the basics out first. I'm on Windows 98, IE 5.5

    While on IE, I keep getting the big blue screen message. Sure that happens once in a while before but it's happening all the time now. I think i downloaded something funky from a pop-up by accident that's getting me this.

    The blue screen is giving me a message of "A fatal exception 0D (or 0E at times) has occured at (long number and a C end of it). The current application will be terminated". on the screen
Try taking a look through Click Here (support.microsoft.com) & Click Here (support.microsoft.com), & see if there's anything in there that matches your situation. (I particularly noticed ones toward the end of the "0E" page about McAfee, & about browsing with a cable modem, if either of those applies to you.)

Is there any additional text in among the hex address after "...has occurred at"?

Have you added any new hardware lately? Are you running any new applications (that you know of)?

(I'm a little bothered that you're nonchalant about getting Blue Screens of Death occasionally -- that's not normal. :-) )

If you start the machine & putter around without getting on the web, does it stay up OK? What kind of connectivity to the web do you have (dial up, cable modem, DSL, ...)?

Just for gigggles, do a search on your main hard drive, & see if you happen to have a file with a name like "drwatson.log".
-----------------------
Tarnish & Socks -- I completely agree about the importance of krnl386.exe & so forth. However, IIRC, Device Driver exceptions can show up as exceptions in the kernel. So that's one possibile scenario in which NHS may not be totally screwed. Also, from NHS' description, it sounds like the GPF in krnl386 is during the attempt to recover from the blue screen -- so it *might* not be the initial problem that's totally crashing the kernel. Just thoughts...
tarnish
Frankfurter
Level: 60

Posts: 360/859
EXP: 1714371
For next: 58417

Since: 13.2.02
From: Back in the Heart of Hali

Since last post: 503 days
Last activity: 2 days
AIM:  
Y!:
#13 Posted on 30.10.03 0828.52
Reposted on: 30.10.10 0829.01

    Originally posted by Socks

    Hey....who you calling a loser? ha!



Sorry, should have said, "Restoring Windows is a losing game."

I've never seen a Windows restore that gave back a system that was anywhere near as usable as a freshly installed one. Normally, in my experience, the machine is a mess, it gets cleaned up, someone spends a day or more on various "restore processes" and then the user ends up needing a reinstall a month later anyway because the system is so inconsistent.

Now if you just want to restore long enough to back up usable data and then reinstall, that makes sense. But I tend to eschew any and all restore processes on a machine that's been in regular use for any longer than 6 months.

(pre-Windows 2000 I also reinstalled my OS every 6-8 months whether I really thought I needed to or not)
Net Hack Slasher
Banger
Level: 100

Posts: 1632/2805
EXP: 10157131
For next: 197301

Since: 6.1.02
From: Outer reaches of your mind

Since last post: 3591 days
Last activity: 2011 days
#14 Posted on 30.10.03 1139.10
Reposted on: 30.10.10 1141.37
First thanks so much guys for trying to help. You guys and gal are so kind.

Emma -Just for gigggles, do a search on your main hard drive, & see if you happen to have a file with a name like "drwatson.log".

Odd that you ask. I do have a file of that name

Emma- If you start the machine & putter around without getting on the web, does it stay up OK? What kind of connectivity to the web do you have (dial up, cable modem, DSL, ...)?

I have a dail up. Yeah it stays up fine when I'm not on my IE 5.5. When I just doing work on my computer it's fine and using a very old Netscape 4.7 (which I can't stand using). It doesn't go down in that manner.

Emma- Is there any additional text in among the hex address after "...has occurred at"?

Just a bunch of numbers that usually change (I think)

Tenken- If you think you downloaded something from a popup by accident, try Lavasoft's Ad-aware program. It finds and eliminates spyware and adware, and I swear by the program

Thanks for the tip I'll look into it... Again thanks alot everyone for your sugguestions.


Socks
Landjager
Level: 61

Posts: 566/888
EXP: 1775998
For next: 100609

Since: 25.6.02
From: Ottawa

Since last post: 823 days
Last activity: 436 days
#15 Posted on 30.10.03 2200.57
Reposted on: 30.10.10 2203.05
    Originally posted by tarnish

      Originally posted by Socks

      Hey....who you calling a loser? ha!



    Sorry, should have said, "Restoring Windows is a losing game."

    I've never seen a Windows restore that gave back a system that was anywhere near as usable as a freshly installed one. Normally, in my experience, the machine is a mess, it gets cleaned up, someone spends a day or more on various "restore processes" and then the user ends up needing a reinstall a month later anyway because the system is so inconsistent.

    Now if you just want to restore long enough to back up usable data and then reinstall, that makes sense. But I tend to eschew any and all restore processes on a machine that's been in regular use for any longer than 6 months.

    (pre-Windows 2000 I also reinstalled my OS every 6-8 months whether I really thought I needed to or not)



I completely agree with everything you say.

A restore at least gives you one more option before the full reinstall. It's just a quick bandaid....

NEO
Salami
Level: 33

Posts: 207/217
EXP: 218353
For next: 10829

Since: 15.1.02
From: Texas

Since last post: 3841 days
Last activity: 3841 days
#16 Posted on 31.10.03 0834.33
Reposted on: 31.10.10 0834.48
Something a little less drastic besides re-formatting. Which I always refer to as "using a sledgehammer to kill a fly".

Hopefully, the problem only occurs when using IE, if so: Try repairing your IE browser under control panel -> add/remove programs. I forgot if that option is available in '98. You could also trying re-installing IE or finding any upgrades/updates from the microsoft website for your browser version. If your kernal is screwed, you usually have a lot more problems.
ALL ORIGINAL POSTS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Thread ahead: Fall 2003 Primetime Network TV ad rates
Next thread: Halloween Costumes?
Previous thread: 24: Day 3 (I'm sure there are spoilers in here somewhere)
(1762 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
The 7 - Random - Major Computer Problem, Please HelpRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board - 7 year recycle

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim
This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.23 seconds.