The W
Views: 95668658
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Color chart | Log in for more!
19.4.07 2244
The 7 - Random - New Orleans dialect
This thread has 2 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
(1716 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (12 total)
krakken2000
Kishke
Level: 43

Posts: 265/416
EXP: 549110
For next: 15941

Since: 31.10.02
From: seattle

Since last post: 1814 days
Last activity: 1541 days
#1 Posted on 23.10.03 1243.48
Reposted on: 23.10.10 1243.59
Here is a random request, I need some assistance in mastering a New Orleans dialect. Anyone know of an online resource or a book or tape series that can be helpful? I have the Jerry Blunt Stage Dialects book but it really only covers a generic American Southern dialect and nothing specific to the New Orleans region.

Any wieners from New Orleans that could give me a few tips?

Ideally what I would love to find is some sort of online translator site that can directly translate dialogue phonetically. I did a brief google search but found nothing applicable.

Promote this thread!
dunkndollaz
Banger
Level: 95

Posts: 976/2524
EXP: 8496289
For next: 172349

Since: 3.1.02
From: Northern NJ

Since last post: 3 days
Last activity: 1 day
#2 Posted on 23.10.03 1313.32
Reposted on: 23.10.10 1313.36
Whatever you do, do not use Dennis Quaid in "The Big Easy" as an example to study.......
gargs
Goetta
Level: 38

Posts: 278/310
EXP: 355969
For next: 14481

Since: 27.8.02
From: The OC

Since last post: 3757 days
Last activity: 3391 days
#3 Posted on 23.10.03 1326.25
Reposted on: 23.10.10 1327.37
There's always Adam Sandler's "The Waterboy." :)
Guru Zim
SQL Dejection
Administrator
Level: 138

Posts: 1851/5970
EXP: 30992199
For next: 670861

Since: 9.12.01
From: Bay City, OR

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 8 hours
AIM:  
#4 Posted on 23.10.03 1748.39
Reposted on: 23.10.10 1748.52
Just start crank calling businesses in the correct area code.

Try calling repair shops - car garages, etc.
OndaGrande
Kolbasz
Level: 45

Posts: 85/472
EXP: 649046
For next: 11123

Since: 1.5.03
From: California, Home of THE LAKERS!

Since last post: 10 days
Last activity: 8 hours
#5 Posted on 23.10.03 1839.25
Reposted on: 23.10.10 1840.10
my experience in N.O. was that the old timers spoke verrry slowwly. Chef Paul has that french twinge to his drawl, being cajun and all.
Think of It As a Funnel
Cotto
Level: 16

Posts: 17/47
EXP: 20024
For next: 233

Since: 22.9.03
From: Strongbadia

Since last post: 3762 days
Last activity: 3760 days
#6 Posted on 23.10.03 1956.27
Reposted on: 23.10.10 1956.53
Start with the easy one.

"Nawlins" instead of "New Orleans."
Dutchie
Boerewors
Moderator
Level: 42

Posts: 96/377
EXP: 489066
For next: 32300

Since: 29.1.02
From: PA

Since last post: 30 days
Last activity: 1 hour
#7 Posted on 23.10.03 2056.24
Reposted on: 23.10.10 2059.01
I've never used it, couldn't tell you a thing about it, but I remember hearing about this series in my undergrad phonology course. The lady who does it is a professional voice/dialect coach, and there's a tape on there that covers "American South" dialects, including New Orleans.

As for online translators, the only thing I really know of is the International Phonetic Alphabet (scroll about halfway down the page), but there's not anything that transcribes the speech for you. Wish there was - it'd make my life a lot easier.

CajunMan
Boudin blanc
No longer registered
Level: 94

Posts: 981/2483
EXP: 8290722
For next: 65966

Since: 2.1.02
From: Give me a Title shot!

Since last post: 913 days
Last activity: 50 days
#8 Posted on 23.10.03 2124.02
Reposted on: 23.10.10 2128.19
    Originally posted by krakken2000
    Here is a random request, I need some assistance in mastering a New Orleans dialect. Anyone know of an online resource or a book or tape series that can be helpful? I have the Jerry Blunt Stage Dialects book but it really only covers a generic American Southern dialect and nothing specific to the New Orleans region.

    Any wieners from New Orleans that could give me a few tips?

    Ideally what I would love to find is some sort of online translator site that can directly translate dialogue phonetically. I did a brief google search but found nothing applicable.




Here is a book that I have it goes from everything from the history of the city to the people, Businesses, and the streets.

"Beautiful Creasent" A HISTORY OF NEW ORLEANS by Joan B. Garvey and Mary Lou Widmer

Now there is 9 editions of this book dating back to 1982.

I could go on all night talking about weird pronouncing/spelling of our streets. So you may want to start there.

by the way our area code is 504
The Thrill
Banger
Level: 99

Posts: 659/2781
EXP: 9713645
For next: 286390

Since: 16.4.02
From: Green Bay, WI

Since last post: 3 days
Last activity: 3 days
#9 Posted on 24.10.03 0746.23
Reposted on: 24.10.10 0746.28
Ah yes, New Orleans. Many a drunken escapade have I had there. My tip: if I remember right, natives of N'awlins greet each other with a "Where'ya at?" instead of "How's it going?"

And don't forget to mention the...uh, I think it's called the Howlin' Wolf. Awesome piano bar on Bourbon St.
dunkndollaz
Banger
Level: 95

Posts: 978/2524
EXP: 8496289
For next: 172349

Since: 3.1.02
From: Northern NJ

Since last post: 3 days
Last activity: 1 day
#10 Posted on 24.10.03 1028.33
Reposted on: 24.10.10 1029.01
"Bet you $5 I can tell you where you got your shoes at ?"

"You're on."

"On yo' feet on Bourbon Street. Now pay up."

- my favorite Nawlins street hustler scam
krakken2000
Kishke
Level: 43

Posts: 267/416
EXP: 549110
For next: 15941

Since: 31.10.02
From: seattle

Since last post: 1814 days
Last activity: 1541 days
#11 Posted on 24.10.03 1132.23
Reposted on: 24.10.10 1132.27
    Originally posted by StegDutchie
    I've never used it, couldn't tell you a thing about it, but I remember hearing about this series in my undergrad phonology course. The lady who does it is a professional voice/dialect coach, and there's a tape on there that covers "American South" dialects, including New Orleans.

    As for online translators, the only thing I really know of is the International Phonetic Alphabet (scroll about halfway down the page), but there's not anything that transcribes the speech for you. Wish there was - it'd make my life a lot easier.




Thanks! Both of these sites will be most helpful.
CajunMan
Boudin blanc
No longer registered
Level: 94

Posts: 983/2483
EXP: 8290722
For next: 65966

Since: 2.1.02
From: Give me a Title shot!

Since last post: 913 days
Last activity: 50 days
#12 Posted on 27.10.03 1401.49
Reposted on: 27.10.10 1402.27
    Originally posted by The Thrill
    Ah yes, New Orleans. Many a drunken escapade have I had there. My tip: if I remember right, natives of N'awlins greet each other with a "Where'ya at?" instead of "How's it going?"

    And don't forget to mention the...uh, I think it's called the Howlin' Wolf. Awesome piano bar on Bourbon St.


The Howlin Wolf is not a piano bar and is not on Bourbon street.
ALL ORIGINAL POSTS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Thread ahead: Weird question
Next thread: San Diego is Burning
Previous thread: Windy City Heat
(1716 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
The 7 - Random - New Orleans dialectRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board - 7 year recycle

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim
This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.223 seconds.