The W
Views: 135519179
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Color chart | Log in for more!
19.8.11 1303
The 7 - Football - Brock to be a Viking?
This thread has 7 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
(1373 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (20 total)
brick
Bockwurst
Level: 51

Posts: 284/535
EXP: 963167
For next: 50778

Since: 17.1.02
From: Pittsburgh, PA

Since last post: 1935 days
Last activity: 1931 days
#1 Posted on 14.6.04 0936.26
Reposted on: 14.6.11 0940.36
Don't know if this should be in football or wrestling but here it goes.

http://www.twincities.com/ mld/pioneerpress/sports/ 8904276.htm?1c

He has been working at this for how long and still can't get the stance right? The speed is impressive but he needs to be working on fundamentals if he wants to make it. But it sounds like that is the advise he got from Tice.
Promote this thread!
Lexus
Andouille
Level: 89

Posts: 623/1972
EXP: 6824489
For next: 91439

Since: 2.1.02
From: Stafford, VA

Since last post: 3 days
Last activity: 19 hours
AIM:  
#2 Posted on 14.6.04 1004.01
Reposted on: 14.6.11 1004.16
Anything from any sources that I wouldn't have to sign up with in order to get the news?
rockdotcom_2.0
Frankfurter
Level: 59

Posts: 545/763
EXP: 1641524
For next: 31614

Since: 9.1.02
From: Virginia Beach Va

Since last post: 1977 days
Last activity: 177 days
AIM:  
#3 Posted on 14.6.04 1022.05
Reposted on: 14.6.11 1022.07
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ 2004/football/nfl/06/ 13/bc.fbn.vikings.lesnar.ap/ index.html

Try there.
Excalibur05
Knackwurst
Level: 106

Posts: 2147/2932
EXP: 12354660
For next: 317324

Since: 19.1.02
From: Minnesota

Since last post: 867 days
Last activity: 735 days
AIM:  
#4 Posted on 14.6.04 1207.52
Reposted on: 14.6.11 1208.01
From what I understand, the Vikings (and I imagine any other teams that are interested) are saying exactly what we thought they would. Brock is an awesome physical specimine. He's big, he's strong, he's fast...but, he knows nothing about playing the game of football, and most teams are too busy trying to keep their own ducks in a row (especially the Vikes) to try to mollycoddle a 26 year old rookie.

The best he could hope for is that a roster spot opens during a training camp somewhere with a REALLY patient coaching staff who is willing to take on a project, which is pretty much exactly what Mike Tice told Brock. Maybe when we cut Farmer, he can make the practice squad.
Lexus
Andouille
Level: 89

Posts: 625/1972
EXP: 6824489
For next: 91439

Since: 2.1.02
From: Stafford, VA

Since last post: 3 days
Last activity: 19 hours
AIM:  
#5 Posted on 15.6.04 1355.14
Reposted on: 15.6.11 1355.47
The big thing here is whether or not Brock has the mental capacity to learn football. The best players in NFL history weren't necessarily the biggest and strongest and fastest, but the smartest. Knowing where to turn upfield in the hole, reading a defense, reading an offense, and namely on the defensive line, reading a blocking scheme.

Just like the article says, Brock is probably a better physical specimen than many of the premier defensive linemen in the league. If he can learn the intricacies of defensive football, namely sacrificing yourself so a teammate may make a play, he'll be golden.
Sec19Row53
Lap cheong
Level: 83

Posts: 458/1675
EXP: 5342275
For next: 89969

Since: 2.1.02
From: Oconomowoc, WI

Since last post: 33 days
Last activity: 1 day
#6 Posted on 15.6.04 1606.45
Reposted on: 15.6.11 1610.17
    Originally posted by Lexus
    The big thing here is whether or not Brock has the mental capacity to learn football. The best players in NFL history weren't necessarily the biggest and strongest and fastest, but the smartest. Knowing where to turn upfield in the hole, reading a defense, reading an offense, and namely on the defensive line, reading a blocking scheme.

    Just like the article says, Brock is probably a better physical specimen than many of the premier defensive linemen in the league. If he can learn the intricacies of defensive football, namely sacrificing yourself so a teammate may make a play, he'll be golden.

Great physical specimen trying to play on the line. Sounds like Tony Mandarich.
rockdotcom_2.0
Frankfurter
Level: 59

Posts: 551/763
EXP: 1641524
For next: 31614

Since: 9.1.02
From: Virginia Beach Va

Since last post: 1977 days
Last activity: 177 days
AIM:  
#7 Posted on 15.6.04 1738.03
Reposted on: 15.6.11 1741.03
Maybe having no college experience will help Brock in the sens that he will not have to unlearn any bad college habits that plagues so many guys.

As long as he is willing to learn and is receptive to coaching, he could probably do really well. In theory.
The Thrill
Banger
Level: 103

Posts: 1185/2781
EXP: 11331091
For next: 140354

Since: 16.4.02
From: Green Bay, WI

Since last post: 1585 days
Last activity: 219 days
#8 Posted on 16.6.04 0442.53
Reposted on: 16.6.11 0446.52
    Originally posted by Sec19Row53
    Great physical specimen trying to play on the line. Sounds like Tony Mandarich.


Did you have to go there? :-) You could have just lobbed a nice Joe Johnson joke...but NOOOOOOOO...
haz
Landjager
Level: 64

Posts: 481/904
EXP: 2118155
For next: 95954

Since: 2.1.02
From: Whitby, Ontario, Canada

Since last post: 1468 days
Last activity: 132 days
#9 Posted on 16.6.04 0640.44
Reposted on: 16.6.11 0641.13
All I can say is that Mandarich looks really good behind the desk at the golf course in Burlington, Ontario, Canada that I visited last year.

Can't remember the name of the course, though???


p.s. His wife looks really good there, too.
Sec19Row53
Lap cheong
Level: 83

Posts: 461/1675
EXP: 5342275
For next: 89969

Since: 2.1.02
From: Oconomowoc, WI

Since last post: 33 days
Last activity: 1 day
#10 Posted on 21.6.04 1053.58
Reposted on: 21.6.11 1056.01
Saw a nice feature on him on ESPN yesterday. Teams mentioned as being interested were the Vikings (for whom he has already tried out), Packers, Chiefs and Eagles. I think there was one other team (might have been the Colts, since Tony Dungy spoke about Lesnar at length).
ekedolphin
Scrapple
Level: 140

Posts: 2069/5635
EXP: 32938201
For next: 348286

Since: 12.1.02
From: Indianapolis, IN; now residing in Suffolk, VA

Since last post: 46 days
Last activity: 22 hours
#11 Posted on 21.6.04 1813.34
Reposted on: 21.6.11 1815.11
[obligatory comment by The W's Resident Colts Fan...]

Wow... that would be weird. On the other hand, I'd be pissed if Brock Lesnar ended up being our only meaningful free-agent signing... particularly when the Patriots have solved the only problem they had-- rushing-- and signed Corey Dillon.

In fact, I wish we'd done anything to improve our team through the free-agent market. I know that the priority had to be re-signing Peyton, and I understand that. But man does not live by quarterbacks and wide receivers alone, but by every position created by the hand of God. (Or at least, that's how I think that particular Bible verse went.) (just kidding)
Mayhem
Scrapple
Level: 115

Posts: 991/3693
EXP: 16786814
For next: 24601

Since: 25.4.03
From: Nashville, TN

Since last post: 391 days
Last activity: 275 days
#12 Posted on 28.6.04 1348.17
Reposted on: 28.6.11 1349.13

well, he made the front page of ESPN.com

http://msn.espn.go.com/
JayJayDean
Scrapple
Level: 130

Posts: 1325/4750
EXP: 25512180
For next: 218466

Since: 2.1.02
From: Seattle, WA

Since last post: 937 days
Last activity: 515 days
AIM:  
Y!:
#13 Posted on 28.6.04 1403.50
Reposted on: 28.6.11 1404.26
    Originally posted by Mayhem

    well, he made the front page of ESPN.com


Considering the title was "The Next Big Flop?" and started out with his "I hate gays"-thing, that was a decent enough little article for those who know the name "Brock Lesnar". I think they basically trashed him out to the non-wrestling fan and made him look like a big dickhead, personality-wise.

Other thoughts:

- 7 years/$45 million?! That's a lot of dough for him to walk away from. I'd never seen the actual contract figures.

- The motorcycle accident left his testicles swollen for weeks. No thank YOU.
Mayhem
Scrapple
Level: 115

Posts: 992/3693
EXP: 16786814
For next: 24601

Since: 25.4.03
From: Nashville, TN

Since last post: 391 days
Last activity: 275 days
#14 Posted on 28.6.04 1405.30
Reposted on: 28.6.11 1406.36

that's what I thought ... after reading that interview, I thought "what an arrogant prick" ... I give him 2 years until he's licking Vince's chode.
The Lurk
Cotechino
Level: 22

Posts: 8/83
EXP: 54455
For next: 3896

Since: 7.6.04

Since last post: 5133 days
Last activity: 5133 days
#15 Posted on 28.6.04 1405.43
Reposted on: 28.6.11 1406.39
Oh wow. The quotes from Lesnar in that story...they almost seem unreal. They are so arrogant...it seems like a work, something a heel wrestler would say.

"If it was legal and I wouldn't get in trouble, I'd pick a fight on every street. If I wouldn't lose any money or nothing, I would fight. I'd fight every day."

"I was at the top of my game in wrestling, I was a three-time champion, I had pretty good coin in my pocket. What was stopping me? A set of nuts. You either nut up or you don't. So I did."

"Any other sorry sucker who went through that," Lesnar said, "his carcass would still be laying there. He'd be six feet under pushing daisies up. I'm still here."

"All that talk is jealousy. I don't need anything to get me up at the gym other than Metallica and AC/DC," Lesnar said. "When it comes down to it, bring your little piss cup and I will fill it for you."

"This is not some half-assed shot to see what I can do and try to make the NFL," Lesnar said. "For me, this is balls out, 100 percent.


"And I plan on knocking the snot out of somebody."
geemoney
Scrapple
Level: 118

Posts: 1083/3890
EXP: 18291362
For next: 91606

Since: 26.1.03
From: Naples, FL

Since last post: 5 days
Last activity: 33 min.
AIM:  
#16 Posted on 28.6.04 1545.41
Reposted on: 28.6.11 1545.44
    Originally posted by JayJayDean
      Originally posted by Mayhem

      well, he made the front page of ESPN.com


    Considering the title was "The Next Big Flop?" and started out with his "I hate gays"-thing, that was a decent enough little article for those who know the name "Brock Lesnar". I think they basically trashed him out to the non-wrestling fan and made him look like a big dickhead, personality-wise.

    Other thoughts:

    - 7 years/$45 million?! That's a lot of dough for him to walk away from. I'd never seen the actual contract figures.

    - The motorcycle accident left his testicles swollen for weeks. No thank YOU.

According to the Torch, that money figure is WAY higher than what he actually made, and that alot of stories about Lesnar trying out for the NFL include an enormously high number that he walked away from.
svt4real
Cotto
Level: 18

Posts: 47/50
EXP: 25644
For next: 4254

Since: 24.3.04
From: kc,mo

Since last post: 5157 days
Last activity: 5156 days
AIM:  
#17 Posted on 28.6.04 1548.58
Reposted on: 28.6.11 1549.40
Lesnar ran the 40-yard dash in 4.7 seconds, a blistering time for a man his size. He has a 10-foot standing broad jump. A 35-inch vertical leap

great numbers there!!!



But the unexpected birth of his daughter to a girlfriend he's no longer dating, combined with the 280-plus days a year on the road -- often in a different city every night -- wore on him. He looked at the older wrestlers, guys like Ric Flair and the Undertaker, and saw how much they missed their families. He didn't like the direction of his wrestling persona, and he couldn't get any straight answers out of McMahon. So after a South African tour in which he spent 50 hours on a plane to wrestle four different nights, he blew up and quit.


can not blame the guy from wanting to get out of that!! good luck on living your dream and more power to you brock!
ekedolphin
Scrapple
Level: 140

Posts: 2101/5635
EXP: 32938201
For next: 348286

Since: 12.1.02
From: Indianapolis, IN; now residing in Suffolk, VA

Since last post: 46 days
Last activity: 22 hours
#18 Posted on 2.7.04 0107.14
Reposted on: 2.7.11 0109.13
Yeah, the guy gets called up to the main WWE roster, and within a year he's a multi-time WWE Champion, King of the Ring winner, Royal Rumble winner and WrestleMania main-eventer. Yes, I feel very sorry for him. (not)
wordlife
Head cheese
Level: 40

Posts: 268/324
EXP: 437055
For next: 4258

Since: 4.4.03

Since last post: 4757 days
Last activity: 4041 days
#19 Posted on 2.7.04 1226.33
Reposted on: 2.7.11 1227.55
    Originally posted by The Lurk
    Oh wow. The quotes from Lesnar in that story...they almost seem unreal. They are so arrogant...it seems like a work, something a heel wrestler would say.

    "If it was legal and I wouldn't get in trouble, I'd pick a fight on every street. If I wouldn't lose any money or nothing, I would fight. I'd fight every day."

    "I was at the top of my game in wrestling, I was a three-time champion, I had pretty good coin in my pocket. What was stopping me? A set of nuts. You either nut up or you don't. So I did."

    "Any other sorry sucker who went through that," Lesnar said, "his carcass would still be laying there. He'd be six feet under pushing daisies up. I'm still here."

    "All that talk is jealousy. I don't need anything to get me up at the gym other than Metallica and AC/DC," Lesnar said. "When it comes down to it, bring your little piss cup and I will fill it for you."

    "This is not some half-assed shot to see what I can do and try to make the NFL," Lesnar said. "For me, this is balls out, 100 percent.


    "And I plan on knocking the snot out of somebody."



Lesnar I have a great feeling he will be a quote machine the whole year.
Whitebacon
Banger
Level: 99

Posts: 1275/2541
EXP: 9973427
For next: 26608

Since: 12.1.02
From: Fresno, CA

Since last post: 103 days
Last activity: 2 days
AIM:  
ICQ:  
#20 Posted on 2.7.04 2143.06
Reposted on: 2.7.11 2147.22
    Originally posted by wordlife
      Originally posted by The Lurk
      Oh wow. The quotes from Lesnar in that story...they almost seem unreal. They are so arrogant...it seems like a work, something a heel wrestler would say.

      "If it was legal and I wouldn't get in trouble, I'd pick a fight on every street. If I wouldn't lose any money or nothing, I would fight. I'd fight every day."

      "I was at the top of my game in wrestling, I was a three-time champion, I had pretty good coin in my pocket. What was stopping me? A set of nuts. You either nut up or you don't. So I did."

      "Any other sorry sucker who went through that," Lesnar said, "his carcass would still be laying there. He'd be six feet under pushing daisies up. I'm still here."

      "All that talk is jealousy. I don't need anything to get me up at the gym other than Metallica and AC/DC," Lesnar said. "When it comes down to it, bring your little piss cup and I will fill it for you."

      "This is not some half-assed shot to see what I can do and try to make the NFL," Lesnar said. "For me, this is balls out, 100 percent.


      "And I plan on knocking the snot out of somebody."



    Lesnar I have a great feeling he will be a quote machine the whole year.



If the reporters can find him with the practice squad.
ALL ORIGINAL POSTS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Thread ahead: Trotter returns to the Eagles
Next thread: Greece wins!
Previous thread: Tom Brady snubbed again?
(1373 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Related threads: Minnesota Vikings to sign Lesner? - Minnesota Sports - Damn Vikings - More...
The 7 - Football - Brock to be a Viking?Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board - 7 year recycle

ZimBoard
©2001-2018 Brothers Zim
This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.386 seconds.