This is why compeition can be a good thing. Apple releases the iPad. Nintendo's response;
Click Here (joystiq.com) for the news. Out in the fall in Japan, will be released Christmas time around here I'm guessing. Just in time for the 3DS release.
Originally posted by Me in another thread here not too long ago Nintendo is FIERCELY protective of their portable market. They can make comments about Apple's iPad and iPods not mattering.....but they'll still try to destroy them and stomp out Sony at the same time, all while making sure MS doesn't want to start. Which is why I'm thinking soon enough we will get official word of a new portable system from Nintendo. And, like I said, they won't be content with that. They will want to DESTROY their "rivals".
The next generation of Pokemon as a release title. The shortage would be be worse than when the Wii first came out.
Yeah, I stand by that quote. This is turning out to be an EPIC year for gaming. It reminds me of that KILLER stretch of AAA titles that were released a few months from each other a couple of years ago.
Get your DSi's/DS Lites while you can. And if they're doing 3DS pre-orders eventually it'll be smart to do that was well.
What a great time to be a gamer.
(edited by El Nastio on 9.4.10 0103) You know, I really don't know what to put here. Close your eyes and thank of something funny!
I hadn't bought a new Pokemon game since Pokemon Yellow, because to me they were just cash-ins on the same formula... until SoulSilver. The Pokewalker drew me in with its gadgety allure. I have to say, I wasn't disappointed. I absolutely love the game, even if most of the enjoyment is from the nostalgia factor.
With that said, it kind of aggravates me that Nintendo is releasing yet ANOTHER Pokemon game so quickly after the last. I hope this is the 3DS reinvention of it and that they actually do revamp the series from the ground up, because otherwise it'll probably be another couple years until I feel it's worth it to buy a new one.
This brings up an issue I have with Nintendo, too... I feel like they keep releasing new handhelds and systems just so that they can churn out new, identical versions of their established franchises. See: Mario Kart (SNES, N64, GBA, DS, Gamecube, Wii), Mario Party (N64, Gamecube, Wii, GBA, DS)... They've been spinning their wheels on those games forever, and keep selling millions just because they're on a new system. Nintendo needs to bring the innovation of their actual games up to the level of innovation they have with their hardware.
You're right on Pokemon. I bought FireRed and Diamond, that's it so far. And mario Party is....ugh. But I wouldn't paint all of Nintendo's franchises with that brush. Do they rely on the first party mascots? Yeah, of course. But lets take a closer look at those systems/titles.
- Super Mario Bros. 1: Revolutionized video games as we know it today. Responsible for how many NES systems being sold? At this point we have 1 Mario title which has revolutionized gaming as we knew it at the time.
- Super Mario Bros. 2: A repackaged version of a different game, with Mario characters added. Very much different than the rest of the franchise.
- Super Mario Bros. 3: The last Mario game of note on the NES also happens to stand the test of time. You look at any "top games of all time" list and you'll see this near the top, I'm certain. This pushed the system to the limit, and some say this is MORE influential than Mario 1. At this point we have an unprecedented TWO games on one system. 2/1
- To launch the next generation of consoles, Nintendo tried to make lightening strike twice. They did with Super Mario World. The addition of Yoshi, better graphics, and some little easter eggs (SPECIAL WORLD) made this a game to remember. This set the standard for the 16-Bit generation for the duration of that life cycle. 3 games that revolutionized/influenced gaming, two systems.
- Near the end of the SNES cycle, we have Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island comes out, and lo' and behold; Nintendo puts a new spin on things. Outside of the super annoying Baby Mario, we have a solid platformer. But not as good as SMW.
- Mario 64. May all 3d platformers bow down and grant it homage. FOUR revolutionary games on three systems. NEXT.
- A mulligan, Sunshine was quite serviceable but did not shatter the world. Four revolutionary games, four systems.
- Hard to say. Super Mario Galaxy is outstanding....but has it revolutionized gaming? A better argument is that NSMBW is MORE influential, as it shows that you can take something old and make it viable for today's gamers (ie; THROWBACKS DONE RIGHT).
But you mentioned "identical versions", and both of these titles exhibit outside the box thinking as it pertains to the franchise.
Now, you DO have a point if we bring up the Super Mario Advance series. But when you have CLASSIC AAA titles which are STILL viable to play right now and you can take them on the road with you (not to mention portables are usually one step behind home consoles);
Metriod requires not nearly enough commentary, as things speak for themselves.
NES: METRIOD SNES: SUPER METRIOD GAME CUBE: METRIOD PRIME WII: METRIOD PRIME 3, METRIOD: OTHER M.
I don't need to explain the jump of quality on EACH of those systems, not to mention the smooooooth transition from 2d to 3d.
NES: Zelda 1. SNES: THE LEGEND OF ZELDA. A. LINK. TO. THE. PAST. N64: THE LEGEND OF ZELDA. OCERNA. OF. TIME. Gamecube: Windwaker took bold steps with the animation/graphics used. Wii: Twilight Princess was a GAMECUBE title ported over, it doesn't count. So the NEXT Zelda title will be the one we'll be putting here. You want to put money on how awesome it's going to be?
The big three, in their primary titles, have all historical been excellent and revolutionary. In fact, the Gamecube is considered the weakest one....yet it brought us Metriod Prime and Windwaker!
(edited by El Nastio on 9.4.10 1047) You know, I really don't know what to put here. Close your eyes and thank of something funny!
Yes it is that much better. The control on FIFA sucks. Very slow to respond and you can't pull off nearly as many cool moves as you can on WE. It is harder to find, but I would definatly get it instead of FIFA.