Standard caveats: -Some of the overall awards are available to both wrestling and MMA organizations. (Sometimes this makes sense, sometimes this doesn't.) -I didn't vote. Maybe someone else here did. -If there's no WWE/NXT in the top three, I'll list their top finisher.
Nonstandard caveat: -This time the time period covers December 2016 to December 2017. -My conspiracy theory is that it took so long for this to come out because Dave had to throw away worst announcer votes for Mauro and cover his trail. (Mauro is the WORST.)
LOU THESZ/RIC FLAIR AWARD
(WRESTLER OF THE YEAR) 1. KAZUCHIKA OKADA 2. Kenny Omega 3. Tetsuya Naito 4. A.J. Styles
MIXED MARTIAL ARTS MOST VALUABLE
1. GEORGES ST-PIERRE 2. Conor McGregor 3. Michael Bisping
MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER
1. KAZUCHIKA OKADA 2. Kenny Omega 3. A.J. Styles
MOST OUTSTANDING FIGHTER OF THE YEAR
1. DEMETRIOUS JOHNSON 2. Max Holloway 3. Robert Whittaker
TAG TEAM OF THE YEAR
1. YOUNG BUCKS 2. Usos 3. War Machine
(Note: New Day finished 15th.)
BEST ON INTERVIEWS
1. CONOR MCGREGOR 2. Chris Jericho 3. The Miz
PROMOTION OF THE YEAR
1. NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING 2. Ring of Honor 3. World Wrestling Entertainment
BEST WEEKLY TV SHOW
1. NEW JAPAN WORLD PRO WRESTLING 2. WWE NXT 3. CMLL Friday Night Arena Mexico
Note: I miss Talking Smack.
PRO WRESTLING MATCH OF THE YEAR
1. KAZUCHIKA OKADA VS. KENNY OMEGA 1/4 TOKYO 2. Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega 6/11 Osaka 3. Kazuchika Okada vs. Katsuyori Shibata 4/9 Tokyo 4. Tetsuya Naito vs. Kenny Omega 8/13 Tokyo 5. Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega 8/12 Tokyo 6. Tyler Bate vs. Pete Dunne 5/20 Chicago
MMA MATCH OF THE YEAR
1. CUB SWANSON VS. DOO HO CHOI 12/10/16 TORONTO 2. Justin Gaethje vs. Michael Johnson 7/7 Las Vegas 3. Yancy Medeiros vs. Alex Oliveira 12/2 Detroit
1. KENNY OMEGA VS. KAZUCHIKA OKADA 2. Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Conor McGregor 3. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito 4. Kushida vs. Hiromu Takahashi 5. Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier 6. Rush vs. L.A. Park 7. Pete Dunne vs. Tyler Bate
1. BRAUN STROWMAN 2. Juice Robinson 3. Velveteen Dream
The thing that stuck out to me is, on his podcast, Dave mentioned both that he started counting in January and that he was still counting in March. Maybe he's not using a great system and shouldn't be hand counting votes if it's taking him that long.
I find the Most Improved category particular interesting. You have Braun Strowman who was in NXT but basically did nothing and still sucked when he got called up, you have Velveteen Dream who is currently in NXT and (obviously) showing massive improvement, and you have Juice Robinson who wasn't really given the opportunity to improve in NXT and has done so considerably since getting released. As far as developmental goes, I believe that places NXT square in the "I have no idea if this is working or not" column.
As I read this, I think to myself - I am so disconnected from wrestling - even more than I thought. I hardly know any of these
We'll be back right after order has been restored here in the Omni Center.
That the universe was formed by a fortuitous concourse of atoms, I will no more believe than that the accidental jumbling of the alphabet would fall into a most ingenious treatise of philosophy - Swift
He was Jimmy Golden. (I don't know if that's helpful or not! ) EDIT: Ah, thanks, Google! It appears his career was deeply intwined with Robert Fuller (aka Parker): http://www.kayfabememories.com/Regions/secw/secw13.htm